Deletion of downloaded software

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
No, not good for just me. Good for everyone else who has downloaded Lollipop and have not had any problems at all. The people with problems with Lollipop are only a small percentage. And many of the ones who have problems are caused by bad apps (not optimized for Lollipop), or by people who refuse to wipe their cache (or as a last resort) do a factory reset.
(Sorry that your S5 had problems.)

A cache wipe or factory reset is NOT a cure all. Even after doing so many still have performance issues, decreased battery life, or other various issues. Even if it does help it doesn't address the changes to system operation in Lollipop such as the new overly complex mute system, the new notification system, or the new predictive battery graph, all of which appear to try to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place. Not to mention the UI changes that use garish colors with blinding white backgrounds (where's a dark theme?). :( The point being there are valid reasons to forgo Lollipop and stay on KitKat.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Also AT&T told me today they are in talks with Samsung and asking them for another update. It seems that some of their customers are having issues, but it doesn't seem to be a ton of them. Samsung isn't sure yet it has anything to do with Lollipop but possibly more AT&T and the problems are very limited.

jackryannn

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I've heard about rooting your phone to be able to delete the downloaded software. But does rooting your phone does any changes to your phone at all ? Any advantage and Disadvantages?

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I've heard about rooting your phone to be able to delete the downloaded software. But does rooting your phone does any changes to your phone at all ? Any advantage and Disadvantages?
Rooting your phone is technically against carrier policy. If you want to take your phone in for repairs you would have to unroot your phone. Rooting gives you more control over your phone. Hence why rootibg rooting would allow you to delete that file.

anon(8413510)

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
i know you probably dont want to hear this , but why not bite the bullet and just install the update and see how it plays out . yes lollypop can be a bit of a (Language edited by Mod) but i have it on all my devices now , Note3,Note4 & nexus7 2013 and i had probleem with all of them but a factory reset cured any probleem i had .
ja its a pain doing 3 resets but its been worth it, lollypop has made all 3 devices smoother

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the above post. Most people have upgraded and have no problems. Remember, we tend to hear from people on the forums when they are having problems and not when they upgraded and are happy.

I upgraded three phones: Nexus 4, Note 4 and a Note Edge. All have ZERO problems with the battery and no bugs whatsoever that I can see. I just did an upgrade on all phones without doing a reset. I never lost any settings. It was just perfect.

Ott3rMan

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Glad you find that funny while you offer so much helpful advice with your "Lol".

Hahaha
Here is my help:

I read in the paper today that there was a car smashed into a tree near me. I will never buy a car, cuz they all go into trees.

I brother in law is a car mechanic. That said knowing all that can go wrong in a car, I will never buy a car.

I hear never car has more safety features, yet there are more modern cars involved in the nastiest accidents. I will never buy a car

I hear a dude actually died from getting the car on top of him while he was holding it up using an iPhone 6. They bend you know... so I will never get a car.

Yet I own two cars, have never crashed, just had the brakes fixed on one actually, but other than that I own a Note 4 on Lollipop. It works flawlessly, battery is same or better, menus have ugly color and over all the phone is nearly lag free. It is called progress....

Stop making storm in a glass of water. For every one writing here about some trouble there is 10-20 even more I guess that work flawless.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I've had nothing but problems w/ Lollipoop on AT&T. Besides that I don't like it as well as Kit Kat. I'd love to have Kit Kat back.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've had nothing but problems w/ Lollipoop on AT&T. Besides that I don't like it as well as Kit Kat. I'd love to have Kit Kat back.

AT&T advance support told me yesterday that some users are having issues with the upgrade, but not many and Samsung says no one is having problems.

She told me they are in talks with Samsung about getting an upgrade. She said they are gathering info on problems and passing them to Samsung.

You need to call AT&T, let them remote into your phone and get screenshots of the problems so it can be added to the issues they are using to convince Samsung for another update.

Last edited:

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Here is my help:

I read in the paper today that there was a car smashed into a tree near me. I will never buy a car, cuz they all go into trees.

I brother in law is a car mechanic. That said knowing all that can go wrong in a car, I will never buy a car.

I hear never car has more safety features, yet there are more modern cars involved in the nastiest accidents. I will never buy a car

I hear a dude actually died from getting the car on top of him while he was holding it up using an iPhone 6. They bend you know... so I will never get a car.

Yet I own two cars, have never crashed, just had the brakes fixed on one actually, but other than that I own a Note 4 on Lollipop. It works flawlessly, battery is same or better, menus have ugly color and over all the phone is nearly lag free. It is called progress....

Stop making storm in a glass of water. For every one writing here about some trouble there is 10-20 even more I guess that work flawless.
Please. Grow up. For me, lollipop was a nightmare. If someone wants to know how to avoid it... I will talk to them about it. I have only discussed my experience, which last time I checked was my right to do.

I've heard of plan crashes.... yet I've jumped out of planes for fun. I've heard of domestic violence, yet I spar men for fun. So while I'm sure you felt so snazzy with your long winded rant. It only made you look like you got **** hurt because not everyone has had such a dreamy experience with lollipop.

I honestly feel like Sprint jacked something up with their version of it. It is my right to feel that way. It is also my right to discuss that.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Mom2Ninjas,

Some have had issues with upgrades since Gingerbread. Some issues are very real, some are not so much.

I've learned over the years of being around AC and doing updates, the horrible update threads are generally overblown and most issues can be fixed with a reset from recovery mode.

BUT.. there are always some people on all carriers and some carrier specific issues.

Chances are greater people will not have a problem after an update, but if they do, it doesn't matter if no one else has that problem, I understand that.

If I had an issue like you did after your S5 update, if the time was out of warranty or in warranty, I would be sending it back to Samsung to reflash, which they will do for free.

They are better than Best Buy or a carrier reflash. They remove the software and reinstall it, not just flash over what you have.

Last year they told me they will do a flash like that for free for an out of warranty phone.

Thr ONLY Android update I ever had a problem with was with T-Mobile when I went from Eclair to Froyo

Ott3rMan

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Please. Grow up. For me, lollipop was a nightmare. If someone wants to know how to avoid it... I will talk to them about it. I have only discussed my experience, which last time I checked was my right to do.

I've heard of plan crashes.... yet I've jumped out of planes for fun. I've heard of domestic violence, yet I spar men for fun. So while I'm sure you felt so snazzy with your long winded rant. It only made you look like you got **** hurt because not everyone has had such a dreamy experience with lollipop.

I honestly feel like Sprint jacked something up with their version of it. It is my right to feel that way. It is also my right to discuss that.
You telling someone about your experience is super. In fact I wish more ppl would do that. Cuz if they did, we might get a better picture of the scope of this.

What I do not like is when someone run around yelling "The end is near!!!! Repent!!!!" Just because that person has issues with Lollipop.

One need to have a sober look at it and understand that just cuz one person have a problem does not mean everyone else is doomed to have them... statistics alone supports that claim. And who are we to argue with statistics?

That is all

Ott3rMan

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

And ps: my read end does not hurt, as that is not where I stick my lollipops...

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Mom2Ninjas,

Some have had issues with upgrades since Gingerbread. Some issues are very real, some are not so much.

I've learned over the years of being around AC and doing updates, the horrible update threads are generally overblown and most issues can be fixed with a reset from recovery mode.

BUT.. there are always some people on all carriers and some carrier specific issues.

Chances are greater people will not have a problem after an update, but if they do, it doesn't matter if no one else has that problem, I understand that.

If I had an issue like you did after your S5 update, if the time was out of warranty or in warranty, I would be sending it back to Samsung to reflash, which they will do for free.

They are better than Best Buy or a carrier reflash. They remove the software and reinstall it, not just flash over what you have.

Last year they told me they will do a flash like that for free for an out of warranty phone.

Thr ONLY Android update I ever had a problem with was with T-Mobile when I went from Eclair to Froyo
This is the first time I have ever had an issue with an update that a hard reset would not fix. I ended up buying another phone and just shutting it down so that it can not update to lollipop right now. I just can't afford the down time with my job right now. I'm normally the one shaking my head thinking how can someone be having a problem... but sometimes... it just doesn't work and I was way over due to have issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87