After Rooting, how do I disable the automatic update to Lollipop?

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
So as I am awaiting for a tech support agent from One Click Root to login to my laptop and root my Android which is on Kit Kat 4.4.4 at the moment, when rooted, what shall I do to disable the automatic OS update but keep the regular updates for the apps? I only want the apps to get updated but to disable the OS update and never see any notification about this Lollipop

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You don't need to do anything because checking for the OS update will warn you that you can not upgrade because the software has been modified.

You can still get all your app updates in the play store.

And why are you paying someone to root your phone? I would not trust this one click place.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So as I am awaiting for a tech support agent from One Click Root to login to my laptop and root my Android which is on Kit Kat 4.4.4 at the moment, when rooted, what shall I do to disable the automatic OS update but keep the regular updates for the apps? I only want the apps to get updated but to disable the OS update and never see any notification about this Lollipop

Well with my S5, I had to freeze the updater app. After root, and hopefully you will also have SuperSU on your phone, you need an app to freeze the updater so it doesn't even check or try and download. This is firmware and carrier updates only.

Titanium Backup, paid version will freeze apps. I never bought that, I just needed to freeze that one app. I used this app, the free version:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...m.ramdroid.appquarantine&hl=en&token=yZwxA6jM

I had it show the system files and then quarantined the updater. I was getting notifications of updates and it was downloading but of course the install wouldn't go through. This free app stopped it from ever trying again.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to do anything because checking for the OS update will warn you that you can not upgrade because the software has been modified.

And why are you paying someone to root your phone? I would not trust this one click place.

With AT&T at least, it will keep telling you there is an update and eventually download and try to install it, though the install will fail.

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

perfect, so at the moment it has downloaded the update as I am not rooted yet, where can I find this download cache of the update to also delete it?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
perfect, so at the moment it has downloaded the update as I am not rooted yet, where can I find this download cache of the update to also delete it?

These questions might be a little "techy" for here, not sure. I didn't see a root forum for the N4, since rooting is not something all variants can do. NexusGirl would know more about that, but in the past, detailed root posts, went to the root subforum for the device.

If this is still the case concerning detailed root info, xda has a ton of info, variant specific.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh and I have to add..I wouldn't trust a place to root my phone either. I would hit xda and find the root thread for my variant and you will find EASY instructions and files you need.

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Here is the thing, since I already had the notification since I wasn't rooted when I first setup my phone on Kit Kat, the notification never goes away. So after the root, I did a security wipe and disabled Knox the moment I booted to the home screen via Super SU and this way I never saw the update again and I disabled auto updates! :)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Here is the thing, since I already had the notification since I wasn't rooted when I first setup my phone on Kit Kat, the notification never goes away. So after the root, I did a security wipe and disabled Knox the moment I booted to the home screen via Super SU and this way I never saw the update again and I disabled auto updates! :)

Yeah, I had to disable the auto-updates, but did it after Lollipop came out.

Also, you are sure they didn't trip Knox, right?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that it is possible to not trip knox so that the warranty is voided on the Note 4.

It is with some, like T-Mobile, I've heard the Verizon one also sometimes.

Also, I can't remember for sure, but I'm thinking his phone came from Dubai, so probably not locked down like the US ones are, ones from other countries usually aren't.

Also I think if you roll back to KitKat and root, totally possible to root without tripping Knox on the N4. Lollipop was the big problem.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It is with some, like T-Mobile, I've heard the Verizon one also sometimes.

Also, I can't remember for sure, but I'm thinking his phone came from Dubai, so probably not locked down like the US ones are, ones from other countries usually aren't.

Also I think if you roll back to KitKat and root, totally possible to root without tripping Knox on the N4. Lollipop was the big problem.

All the warnings I read on YouTube and XDA said that knox would be tripped that would void the warranty and there was no way around that. I had no problem with that.

As far as other Samsung phones, I read it is possible to root the S6 phones without tripping knox.

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
All the warnings I read on YouTube and XDA said that knox would be tripped that would void the warranty and there was no way around that. I had no problem with that.

As far as other Samsung phones, I read it is possible to root the S6 phones without tripping knox.

1) What does trip Knox mean? Im a noobie

2) I would rather use my phone with no warranty than to ever install Lollipop again! you don't understand how happy I am that I'm back on my Kit Kat, the OS that I bought the phone with and was super happy with at the time. Then came the lollipop and spoiled my smoothness, my battery life, everything!!

3) In all the years I have owned phones, I never ever used warranty, warranty is for n00bs no offense who don't know how to install an OS / software. But usually, in my case, my phone always worked fine, software wise I can figure it out on forums. I have a Ballistic Case to protect the phone with a glass screen protector and even if I didn't, warranty wouldn't cover physical damage so. IMHO warranty is overrated

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

You could be correct on that, I'm not sure on that. When I got my Note 4, Lollipop was out and rooting was out of the question with Lollipop.

GENERALLY, since they could do it with the S5 and KitKat without tripping it, then odds are they could with the N4, but that is no guarantee. I didn't research it on the N4 after I found out my variant can't be rooted yet.

I'm not saying it is a fact you could do it, just working on past knowledge and how it usually works. Also, the S5 was on 4.4.2, the N4 might have been on 4.4.4 and that could be a different story than 4.4.2.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

2) I would rather use my phone with no warranty than to ever install Lollipop again! you don't understand how happy I am that I'm back on my Kit Kat, the OS that I bought the phone with and was super happy with at the time. Then came the lollipop and spoiled my smoothness, my battery life, everything!!

3) In all the years I have owned phones, I never ever used warranty, warranty is for n00bs no offense who don't know how to install an OS / software. But usually, in my case, my phone always worked fine, software wise I can figure it out on forums. I have a Ballistic Case to protect the phone with a glass screen protector and even if I didn't, warranty wouldn't cover physical damage so. IMHO warranty is overrated

Knox basically keeps track of how many times you have flashed a custom ROM other than the official version (KitKat shouldn't do that) and it changes the indicator from 0 to 1 to show that it has been rooted so the warranty is then voided.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Trip Knox means it shows you rooted it, even if you flashed it back. Many times Samsung won't even touch it, with you paying, if you trip Knox.

Also it means, the free flash that Samsung Experience, Samsung and some carrier warranty stores will do, they won't even flash for you if you have tripped Knox, and some of them check.

Actually warranty is to cover things that should be lasting a year or longer lol.

My N3 had to go into repair for warranty, the motherboard went out. My N2 had to be traded in under warranty, the SIM card reader stopped working.

That had nothing to do installing anything.

Years ago, my first Android wouldn't even turn on after T-Mobile forced a Froyo update on me. That had to be replaced under warranty.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You could be correct on that, I'm not sure on that. When I got my Note 4, Lollipop was out and rooting was out of the question with Lollipop.

GENERALLY, since they could do it with the S5 and KitKat without tripping it, then odds are they could with the N4, but that is no guarantee. I didn't research it on the N4 after I found out my variant can't be rooted yet.

I'm not saying it is a fact you could do it, just working on past knowledge and how it usually works. Also, the S5 was on 4.4.2, the N4 might have been on 4.4.4 and that could be a different story than 4.4.2.

Read about Knox here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...477-who-else-don-t-believe-knox-0x1-perm.html

It explains why it can't be reset. It's for the Note 3 and the Note 4 is really no different.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

Warranty is coverage typically for hardware, not so much on the software side. I am a mechanic and could replace the engine or trans in my truck myself, but I am glad they are both covered. I guess I don't follow your logic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87