Upgrading to Note 5 from the Note 4?

glidersgalore

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I do not think a lack of removable battery is an issue. A non removable SD card might depending on cost for more onboard storage. What is the deal breaker is the lack of support we get from Samsung. I have been a Note user since #2. Also have the 10.1. Both of them. No more support for either. I currently have the Notes Edge and support is junk at best and with the last update took away functions from the edge panel. I think the support we as Android users get is ****ty period. Goggle releases an update maybe 4-5 months later we get. After our carrier and our phone maker puts their bs bloat wear into it. That is unless you have a Nexus.

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Their lack of Support for the GT 10.1 was atrocious. They totally ditched it within months and moved on after the ICS update. I would never recommend a Samsung Tablet to anybody. If you want a tablet, buy a Windows tablet. If you must stay with Android, get a Nexus Tablet.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I think I will be setting out this round. My Note 4 is working well and I'm looking forward to the 5.1.1 update to hopefully sort out the few little issues I have from time to time (nothing too serious). I have the battery charger and spare battery kit along with a 128gb SD card. I use both and really don't want to let either go. I keep my phone in the Samsung OEM protective cover (one of my all time favorite cases) so all I really see is the screen. What the back is made of is of no consequence to me.

I feel like I could survive without the SD card and removable battery options if I had no other choice. I love the Note line and use the S Pen daily. It is the reason I have this phone and the Note Pro 12.2. If or when I have no other choice but to upgrade and loose these options I'm sure I'll find a way around these limitations. I have a quick charger at home, in my car and at my desk. This along with a 128 or 256gb Note 6 would work just fine.

I did get a little bored with my phone over the last few weeks, so I changed out the wallpaper and set up a new set of icons, next thing I know I feel like I have a new phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

4 Star General

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The Note 4 is the Best by far(IMO) to others on the market and I honestly don't see much if any improvement that can be done that is actually usable on a day to day. The Note 5 may be a device Note 4 owners can do without and leave it for the newbs...

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
The Note 4 is the Best by far(IMO) to others on the market and I honestly don't see much if any improvement that can be done that is actually usable on a day to day. The Note 5 may be a device Note 4 owners can do without and leave it for the newbs...

I say that every year - but, yet, I've yet to be disappointing in upgrading. On paper, the Note 4 didn't seem that much different than the Note 3 - yet, I'm glad I upgraded to the 4. I'm sure the Note 5 will be a worth-while upgrade.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Not having removable battery and SD card are definitely deal breakers for me.
My Note 4 is fine. Battery life not the best since the update but everything else is good.

taife32

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
At this point non-removable battery and no SD card support is not my main problem. My problem is being abandoned by Samsung. Here in South Africa, the Note 4 is still on Kitkat. That is just stupid for Samsung to abandon a current device like this.

I downloaded the German ROM of lollipop and it worked well for a while besides the irritating Recent Apps lag. But a month later, the phone stopped reading my SD card, it didn't matter if I formatted it. So I installed Cyanogenmod 12.1 (Android 5.1.1) and everything works perfectly and the phone is ultra smooth, oh and my SD card works just fine.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

mrtactilefeedback

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I just bought the Note 4. I appreciate the removable back. Not that I need to change out batteries very often, but on a trip... at least I have the option. Yes, like most of us I put a protective cover on the back of my phone, so I have to remove both the cover, then the back of the phone to get at the battery and/or memory card. Glad then that I don't need to do this very often, right?!! But what impressed me the most (on the Note 4) was the cost savings on the SD memory, because I get to install that myself. If I had to decide between a 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB fixed amount of memory (in a Note 5 purchase) I would have paid about $100 for each 32GB increment (so $300 to get to 128GB). I bought my Note 4 (with the standard 32GB internal storage) and then online I purchased a quality (level 10) 128GB micro SD for only $75. That's a big savings right there. Also, Samsung is giving a $200 rebate (during July/August 2015) if you paid full amount for the phone. So all-said-and-done I'm getting a Note 4 w/ 32GB+128GB for about $600 (you have to figure in taxes). Down-side thoughts on my Note 4 purchase - soon my provider will stop upgrading my OS for me and, I'll have to do that myself (oh well, it happens with them all eventually). Then of course... if you really want the newest thing... Note 5. I'm sure you will enjoy the new stylish look, USB C, bigger battery, improved sound?...

f5air

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
there is always a person who will need more, its like high hp cars.. you always search for more, but in this case for me, i used iphone 4, then 4s, 5, galaxy s4 and not the note 4 which is for me by far the best phone i have. It makes my business and job much more easy due all the improvement and options which allows me to work less with the same results.

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I won't upgrade this year. I'll use my Note 4 as long as I can.
I hate this move to make all phones with sealed batteries.
I'll skip this year and pray for them to give me a user replaceable battery in 2016.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
4GB would be a 25% upgrade in memory. My Note 4 is frequently using up a lot of the ram (most of it from the Touch wiz) and that extra gig would make it so 20 chrome tabs wouldn't slow it down at all.

It would be 33% more RAM

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
No. The battery is close to being the deal breaker. And if there's also no SD card slot, that's definitely a broken deal.

4GB? Not enough of a change to warrant anything if you're really into multitasking. 6, maybe.

Why would you want a MicroSD slot when all the MicroSD memory is slow as a turtle? Samsung's memory is at least twice as fast if not more compared to the current MicroSD cards. I may not buy a Note 5 as I have a Note 4 but I do like what Samsung has done with their new phones.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I just bought the Note 4. I appreciate the removable back. Not that I need to change out batteries very often, but on a trip... at least I have the option. Yes, like most of us I put a protective cover on the back of my phone, so I have to remove both the cover, then the back of the phone to get at the battery and/or memory card. Glad then that I don't need to do this very often, right?!! But what impressed me the most (on the Note 4) was the cost savings on the SD memory, because I get to install that myself. If I had to decide between a 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB fixed amount of memory (in a Note 5 purchase) I would have paid about $100 for each 32GB increment (so $300 to get to 128GB). I bought my Note 4 (with the standard 32GB internal storage) and then online I purchased a quality (level 10) 128GB micro SD for only $75. That's a big savings right there. Also, Samsung is giving a $200 rebate (during July/August 2015) if you paid full amount for the phone. So all-said-and-done I'm getting a Note 4 w/ 32GB+128GB for about $600 (you have to figure in taxes). Down-side thoughts on my Note 4 purchase - soon my provider will stop upgrading my OS for me and, I'll have to do that myself (oh well, it happens with them all eventually). Then of course... if you really want the newest thing... Note 5. I'm sure you will enjoy the new stylish look, USB C, bigger battery, improved sound?...

Your 128GB MicroSD card is 5 times slower or more than Samsung's 128GB built in memory. You forget Samsung is a GIANT company is produces a lot of stuff, including memory. They have over 450,000 people working for them and have their own city. They don't cheap out on their stuff. Granted you want cheap out using something that isn't as good like a MicroSD 128GB in the end it's their choice whether to let you cheap out. :)

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
We all have our different opinions on things. Not everyone is going to like what business are doing or the direction they are heading in. I personally had the S6 and returned it back the next day. It just was not for me. I like the note 4 so I went back to it. Now can I say I will upgrade no. The device has to be mind blowing in order for me to really want it. Samsung is just trying to copy Apple way too much. Samsung keeps coming out with so many of the same variant. Samsung is its own worse enemy that's my opinion.

Quote The Note 4 Never More😤

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Your 128GB MicroSD card is 5 times slower or more than Samsung's 128GB built in memory. You forget Samsung is a GIANT company is produces a lot of stuff, including memory. They have over 450,000 people working for them and have their own city. They don't cheap out on their stuff. Granted you want cheap out using something that isn't as good like a MicroSD 128GB in the end it's their choice whether to let you cheap out. :)
Speed isn't always important. Don't get me wrong, I haven't jumped to 128gb cards due to lack of speed but even I recognize that not all use cases require it. It may take a buttload of time to fill a 128gb card with movies and music but once the files are there the read speed is plenty quick enough to support playback. Those who transfer apps to SD however. ...well... I've never had the need. ..but yes that would be a problem.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Speed isn't always important. Don't get me wrong, I haven't jumped to 128gb cards due to lack of speed but even I recognize that not all use cases require it. It may take a buttload of time to fill a 128gb card with movies and music but once the files are there the read speed is plenty quick enough to support playback. Those who transfer apps to SD however. ...well... I've never had the need. ..but yes that would be a problem.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Speed and reliability are important when it comes to MicroSD cards. Anyone who said they aren't is just fooling themselves. :)

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I love my GN4 but Samsung is wearing me out with all the mandatory SW and stuff. I may eventually check out other Android brands. The whole Samsung war against customers rooting as well as forcing vendors on us and giving us lame versions of stuff we don't want (like their app store) are just annoying.
I used to be a freak about storage and battery but I have only pulled the battery a couple times on the GN4 and the on board storage has been enough.

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I love my GN4 but Samsung is wearing me out with all the mandatory SW and stuff. I may eventually check out other Android brands. The whole Samsung war against customers rooting as well as forcing vendors on us and giving us lame versions of stuff we don't want (like their app store) are just annoying.
I used to be a freak about storage and battery but I have only pulled the battery a couple times on the GN4 and the on board storage has been enough.

I will be waiting to see what other new phones come out. At least for me it's time for something new and different.

Quote The Note 4 Never More😤

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't need wicked fast speeds to watch even a 4k video. My Note 4 plays back my 4k recorded content no problem on my SanDisk 64GB UHS 1 card