Upgrading to Note 5 from the Note 4?

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
The fact that u rolled back says a lot about the support from Samsung. I wanted the note 4 but the support is ridiculous. I understand hiccups but if an update ruined a phone for people, Where is the urgency? Just saying. Do you plan on updating to Android M? I'm on trial with the 6+ but it's hard to leave a supported ecosystem. I've had Android as well but that is why I left a year ago but always wanted the note 4.
So here's the thing, Samsung gave us 5.0.1, this version plus 5.0 and 5.0.2, all suffer from weird issues e.g. Memory Leaks, high power usage , and Samsung brought in aggressive RAM management etc... So between Google and Samsung, there are issues, its not just one who is guilty.

5.1.1 is rolling out for the Note 4, and as soon as it reaches my N910F, I will update, as it seems the issues are fixed, and yep, I will update to Android M.

This phone is fantastic, the hardware almost a year later still rivals and even beats some of the latest and greatest to date. If you are going to get the Note 4 find out if 5.1.1 is out for the variant you are going to get, if not, I'd say wait a little.

Sent from my Note 4 +64GB MicroSDXC via Tapatalk

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm cracking up here! ROTL!!! Just a few posts up, you said you weren't going to buy it! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just so you know, besides the battery, SD slot, and IR Blaster, they removed a bunch of stuff (feature apps) that used to be on the Note 4. Compare them well, while you can!

Yeah....I'm still holding on to my Note 4, in case I get home sick :-D So far, I'm liking the 5, feels faster/smoother and love the edges and all around feel. I've got a Terabyte of space on my OneDrive account...the only real thing that concerns me so far, is that I'm REALLY going to miss being able to just pop another battery in!!!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah....I'm still holding on to my Note 4, in case I get home sick :-D So far, I'm liking the 5, feels faster/smoother and love the edges and all around feel. I've got a Terabyte of space on my OneDrive account...the only real thing that concerns me so far, is that I'm REALLY going to miss being able to just pop another battery in!!!
I posted some of the changes that Samsung made going from the Note 4 to the Note 5 HERE, and there's another one that's not on the list. I asked for confirmation in the Note 5 forum on capturing video stills, but after 900+ reads, no one wants to confirm it.

Well, enjoy your new toy. The Note 5 does look gorgeous, I must admit!

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I effortlessly get over 7hours SOT with KitKat, this is with heavy use of Tapatalk, Opera Mini, Chrome, Facebook, WhatsApp, LinkedIn, BT Audio in my car, syncing 3 email accounts (2 Gmail and 1 Outlook), browsing Instagram etc... My screen is at 30% indoors, Auto outdoors and CPU Only Power Saving.
uploadfromtaptalk1440803961342.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1440803981234.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1440803999606.jpg

Frozen Corpse

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I effortlessly get over 7hours SOT with KitKat, this is with heavy use of Tapatalk, Opera Mini, Chrome, Facebook, WhatsApp, LinkedIn, BT Audio in my car, syncing 3 email accounts (2 Gmail and 1 Outlook), browsing Instagram etc... My screen is at 30% indoors, Auto outdoors and CPU Only Power Saving.
View attachment 193741
View attachment 193742
View attachment 193743

Awesome results. How does one roll back without rooting and flashing a new rom?

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Awesome results. How does one roll back without rooting and flashing a new rom?
All you need is Odin and an official 4.4.4 Note 4 Samsung ROM from e.g. SamMobile.com ,I'd say take the last 4.4.4 German (DBT) ROM, thats if you have a N910F.

You will have to go into Recovery and do a format after loading the ROM.

Sent from my GALAXY Note 4 via Tapatalk

droid2drummer

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Im running note 5 port. Problem solved. Note 4 is now alive and faster than ever. Screen off memo is handy. Also the people edge is ported into the rom. Sprint note 4 n5 port on xda. My pic messaging mms is only problem i personally have. ILL fix that. All else works. Everything. For me. So i am in no rush to throw my sd ir and removable battery options out. At this point im with more features than note 5. Lol.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Im running note 5 port. Problem solved. Note 4 is now alive and faster than ever. Screen off memo is handy. Also the people edge is ported into the rom. Sprint note 4 n5 port on xda. My pic messaging mms is only problem i personally have. ILL fix that. All else works. Everything. For me. So i am in no rush to throw my sd ir and removable battery options out. At this point im with more features than note 5. Lol.

Thinking of switching to something new sometime soon. I've been on Dynamic Pop ROM since May and have the phone running great but I'm getting bored LOL. Been thinking of switching to Maximum OverDrive. Which ROM specifically are you using?

Bazzaaaah

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
The Battery isn't such a problem now that Power Backup Blocks are so much more advanced and more poowerful for very little money, IF you consider that the reason if to enable a waterproof Phone as an advance. The S& has SD expansion non removable battery and is waterproof. Samsung have advanced the cooling to get a higher power battery in and deal with heat from the phone.

I agree that the NOTE 5 holds absolutely no interest for me solely on the SD card expansion as I use my Phone to watch movies played to my Flatscreen as the quality playback is superb compared to full HD via HDMI.

Having seen my sons useage of the S7 now I can see a NOTE 6 with memory card expansion but sealed batter will be ok.

Car chargers, PC usb ports and power blocks now mean it is really unlikely to need a spare battery. Trading off the spare battery for a powerblock to get FULL WATERPROOFING with no silly plugs and covers needed is a worthwhile trade off to me.

Music in the shower, photos on hols, using in terrible weather etc, no more waterlogged phone accidents.

Use a 10 quid power block with 2.1 and 1.0 outlets to charge from and 20,000+ mAh capcity, charging in your pocket at the only times you are away from a static power source. Simpler than continual battery flipping.

That's my personal opinion.

Waiting on the NOTE 6 now for improvements and see if they follow the success of the S7 design to make it worthwhile upgrading......

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The idea behind removable/replaceable battery is not so much that the phone can't be charged by a power bank... heck, any phone can do that... it's more that it can be back at 100% full power instantly... less the time to pull the case and back cover, of course. That's just one of the advantages of swappable batteries. Attach a power bank to a phone and you still have to wait.

It's like the argument about how the SD card isn't needed. Many were saying that all they have to do is carry a card reader/SD card and problem solved. Not really so. Try playing music continually in your music player from a card reader. Can't be done, unless you like playing only one song at a time, and then manually starting the next one. Admittedly, I haven't looked much into this subject recently, but I've read quite a few posts back when it was an issue. Might still be an issue for all I know.

Samsung killed the Note 5 with no removable battery and SD card for many people. They may continue with the non-removable battery, but they realized that the SD card is very important. When the Note 6 comes out, I think you're going to see a lot of 32GB Note 5's for sale. 32GB for a multitasking, power packed phone is a joke and quite useless without an SD card... at least for me!

In the end, I carry my Note 4 when I go out. I don't even carry my spare batteries. I swap the battery before I go out if I need to, and the phone, for my use, lasts all day long. I would hate to have to lug around my power bank or charger, and my card reader too.

I live in Hawaii where it rains a lot and I'm surrounded by ocean... I've never required a water resistant phone yet. On the other hand, my battery does die if I use my phone too much.

Just like you, this is all my own opinion. I too am waiting to see what Samsung does with the Note 6. If they follow the S7, I'm keeping my Note 4.

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Longevity plays in with the removable battery too. My phone got a dendrite after six months and my current battery gets about 2/3rds the battery life that it did 9 months ago. I've fixed both these problems with a new 20$ battery without any wait times sending my phone in for repair. Some people upgrade every year but last years phone crop shows that sometimes you have to have a phone for two years before anything better comes out, and that's assuming that the note 6 is worthwhile ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo