Galaxy Note 4 sd card strange behavior

DryHeat122

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Note 4 to which I recently added a micro SD card (PNY 128 gb class 10). It recognized, mounted and formatted the card and I loaded music on there, and it worked fine. Then it disappeared. Wasn't shown on the setting/storage app. Removing and reseating didn't change this.

Popped it in an external reader, exFAT formatted it, inserted it, mounted and formatted, added music and it worked. Then the same thing happened--it disappeared and I saw a notification that had been "unexpectedly removed." Only this time before I got around to reformatting again it came back--when I went to take a shot on the camera it informed me it was moving camera storage to the SD card, and all the music is back. Then it went away again. Again, popped it in an external reader and everything is there where it should be.

One other thing that is potentially important--when the card goes away I get a long delay when I try to wake up the phone.

Anyone know how to troubleshoot this? It's kinda strange.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Moved to the Note 4 forum for better exposure.

The card could be corrupt or counterfeit. Unmount the card (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and insert it into your computer. Run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html

If the card is not corrupt, then run SD Insight to make sure it's legitimate. Counterfeit cards are relatively common--the counterfeiter programs a smaller capacity card to think it's larger, and then puts a convincing logo and label on it. The card works fine until you exceed its true storage capacity, after which various data errors can occur.