Marshmallow USB data connection to PC requires confirmation

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Ever since upgrading to Marshmallow some weeks ago, when I connect my Note 4 to my Windows 8.1 laptop I need to specifically allow the connection.

Before, when I made the connection, the device was first seen in windows Explorer as a CD drive, then about 30 seconds later that would change to show it as SAMSUNG-SM-N910V, and I would then be able to access it as a regular storage device.

Now when I plug it in, I first have to go into Developer options, and change the USB configuration from "charging" to "MTP (Media Transfer Protocol), and then press "allow" on a "Allow access to phone data" dialog.

Is there any way to simplify this and make it more direct? At least get an option dialog where I can say what type of connection I want?

As it is, even when I select MTP, it is still charging anyway, so the entire process is just an inconvenient speedbump on the way to a data connection.

Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You have to go to Developer Options? In general, you should just have to swipe down the notification panel after connecting via USB, tap the USB icon, and select MTP there. That doesn't work for you?

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the reply.

There has never been an indication that those options were available by swiping down (the only change in the notification when connecting is that the battery icon lightening bolt.) So it never occurred to me to look. But yeah, when I swipe down after connecting, there is an item for "USB charging, Tap here for more options." And that works!. :)

Plus, I no longer have to wait 30 seconds after connecting for the Verizon "CD" device in Explorer to change to the phone.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa