Using Samsung Smart Switch.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm considering using Samsung Smart Switch to back up my phone, before doing a factory reset.

I'm having problems with my fingerprint scanner, and nothing else has seemed to fix it.

The only other time I did a factory reset was in January 2016.

I didn't have Smart Switch at that time.

Is this a good use of Smart Switch, to back up my contents; do the factory reset; then restore it to the same phone?

Does it back up all text messages? Including media within the messages?

What would I be losing? Just some data within 3rd party apps? Anything else?

(And if you don't think doing a factory reset will solve the fingerprint scanner error, then let me know too.)

Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, is it cold or dry where you are? If your finger is cold or dry it may not register. Stick it in your mouth for a while, then dry it and try again.

Second, do a Smart Switch backup, then see Backing up an Android Device. You can never have too many backups. If some data is missing from one, chances it will be on the other.

Do the factory reset with airplane mode on, so the Samsung and Android backups don't know, so you'll have those too.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
First, is it cold or dry where you are? If your finger is cold or dry it may not register. Stick it in your mouth for a while, then dry it and try again.

Second, do a Smart Switch backup, then see Backing up an Android Device. You can never have too many backups. If some data is missing from one, chances it will be on the other.

Do the factory reset with airplane mode on, so the Samsung and Android backups don't know, so you'll have those too.

It's not cold or dry.

It's 60 degrees today, but I'm indoors. It's cold for a Spring day, but not like winter cold.

I had also dropped by phone yesterday, so I'm a little concerned that something in the fingerprint sensor broke. I can't see anything, but still, am not sure. The home button does work.

I wish there was a way to test the fingerprint sensor without the software involved.

I tried the steps in here except for the hair dryer method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIesg1M6fpY

And I couldn't use Titanium Backup wither, since my phone isn't rooted.

Thanks for the link on backing up my phone. I don't want to spend hours backing up and restoring my phone right now (that includes time to go through the settings and get things the way I like it again), so I'll save this for a day when I'm willing to spend more time.

I'll come back to this and let you know.