08-13-2015 10:10 AM
1,007 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Deal breaker with no swappable battery or SD Card. The 4200 mAh battery might get me through the day, but then I have to go through the hassle of having the battery replaced professionally when the time comes. No SD card, no way. They will probably offer a 128gb model, no doubt a lot more expensive than a 32gb model that I can had a 128gb SD Card to for a total of 160gb of memory. I read they are doing this so the phone will be faster.
    Really, even running Nova as a launcher the phone is virtually instantaneous.
    07-13-2015 08:48 AM
    Short answer, No, we will not be upgrading to the Note 5 from our Note 3's if the SD card option is no longer available. Most likely will grab a couple of Note 4's once it is confirmed that Samsung is parting ways with a couple of the MAJOR "features" that made the Note series the success it has been up until now. I expect any increase in Note 4 sales at that time, along with many current Note 4 owners standing pat or changing to other devices, will "clear the air" on whether Samsung is making a mistake or not.

The longer explanation would have many aspects. From the simplest function of allowing for easy and all but unlimited storage to a device like this, to allowing us to leave the camera, camcorder, laptop, etc. at home during many vacations, to camping trips where no signal is available but still allows us to listen to our massive music collection and watch our movie/video preferences offline, to allowing us to move/backup our data WITHOUT having to be tethered to a computer/laptop or burning thru data using "the cloud", to even ensuring that we didn't lose everything when the device itself gave up the ghost by getting dropped in the ocean, an SD card option is a must for us. And although we do use the Notes other features such as the S Pen and enjoy it's state of the art performance as well, none of that is more important for us in a device than it's capability to be a "do it all" device which so far, does it better than any other device in the market. For me, the Note 5 without an SD card slot, and for that matter, a replaceable battery simply to support increased "performance" and trying to compete in the market's "beauty contest" is one step forward, but two steps back.

If Samsung wants to produce a new variant called the Note 5 Edge, S6 plus, etc. with the "flash" to appease the fanboys in the press that criticize the Note for not being "pretty" enough and others that only care about the "performance" advantages of owning a Note and don't need the unlimited storage, extended battery options, or have unlimited data plans and always have a signal, then fine, appease away. With that said, I didn't purchase a Note for all these years, simply to impress others or care if they thought it was too large, or whether it would "impress" anyone else. I bought it because it did everything I needed it to. If Samsung takes away the standard Note "design" and tosses away a large part of it's original "functionality" that made the Note a success in the first place, then I have to decide whether the stylus option is enough to make me overlook the future Note's other "short comings". Probably not.
    07-13-2015 08:49 AM
    Deal killer for me also. I will stick with my Note 4. I record a ton of movies and pictures and the extra storage is a must. ( 3 young kids). And the cloud is nice.... But if your out and about , and no wifi, dont want to use all my cellular data trying to clear space.

The entire removal of SD is nothing more then a money grab. Yes there is a performance hit, but for just storing things like pics,vids and music who cares if its a tad slower.
    07-13-2015 10:31 AM
    At the end of the day, people's decision about SD Card v. Cloud is subjective, and people will go for what is more convenient or appealing to them. However, this is my opinion on it:

I think a lot of people are making the mistake of thinking that without the SD Card, they will not be able to listen to music or record videos efficiently. Which is totally not true. Your phone still has local storage, which you would be able to record video, take pictures, or do anything else you could with an SD Card. The cloud is not and should not replace local storage. The cloud I believe should be more so a place to backup your documents and other files. The only benefit I see with using an SD card is the transfer of it from device to device. Other than that, nothing has really changed.

For those that make the argument about burning data or having no coverage, those are the people that are using the cloud wrong. The cloud is not replacing your local storage, and you do not have to backup your files to the cloud every 5 minutes. I personally have my setting so that it only backs up when I am on wifi, and will pause when I am not on wifi. This has worked pretty well for me, and when I check my data, my cloud transfer doesn't even show up as something that is wasting my data. It honestly does not take long to back up files to the cloud on a decent connection. You do not need a fiber optic connection to make use of the cloud.

For those that make the argument of phone storage, I believe this is not much of a strong argument as well. I currently have the 16GB version of the Galaxy S6 and I to take a lot of pictures and record video. I still have a good amount of free space left on my phone. I record in 720p video. What I do is backup all my pictures and videos to the cloud, and if I do not need them, on my phone, I can delete them, but also knowing I have them saved. On the contrary, if you do listen to a lot of music, this may be a problem, as it was for me. I do like to keep a lot of music on my phone locally, and I do not do so on my S6 because I prefer to save the phone space for apps and other things. I use the Asus Zenfone 2 as my music player, which does have an SD Card. This alternative has not been a problem for me so far, and I actually like carrying 2 phones around.

Now I highly doubt the SD card was the success or the optimal feature of the Note series, and everything you could do on the Note 4 I'm sure can certainly be done on the Note 5 if not more. I know personally I probably will not use the stylus on the Note 5. I will use it more so like I do the S6. My main reason for transferring from the S6 to the Note 5 is the 4GB of ram and the bigger battery (4GB of ram makes a noticeable difference from 3GB...comparing the Zenfone 2's 4GB to the S6's 3GB).

As for removable battery, fast charging has really worked well for me. Unless you are always on the move and cannot spare 5-10 minutes to fast charge your phone, then a removable battery is not much of a big problem. Now me personally, I prefer to have the option of the SD card and removable battery, but I will not tell myself I will not get a great phone because of those 2 features.

I was initially upset when the S6 was announced that there was no removable battery and SD card, especially since the SD Card was an needed feature for me. The camera is what drove me to the S6 over the need for a SD Card. I first tried cloud when I had my S5, and I can say it has been really helpful. For those that oppose it, I would say just try and make use of it and see if you would like it. Sure there are times when you won't have a connection to access it, but like I said, it should not be your main storage. Continue to keep pictures and videos on your phone's local storage, but if you do use the cloud, use it as a backup, not replacing your local storage. I also think its better to get used to it now then later because it seems like non-removable battery and no SD card is becoming the trend for mobile phones.
    07-13-2015 11:40 AM
    ...but if you do use the cloud, use it as a backup...
    The issue for me is not the backup, but the retrieving of media files whenever and wherever I want. SD card for me is the most efficient and cost effective way, more so than the cloud.

As for battery, nothing beats a removable back, not even quick charging, wireless charging, mophie juice, etc.
    phone-a-holic and lions_lair like this.
    07-13-2015 12:18 PM
    The issue for me is not the backup, but the retrieving of media files whenever and wherever I want. SD card for me is the most efficient and cost effective way, more so than the cloud.

As for battery, nothing beats a removable back, not even quick charging, wireless charging, mophie juice, etc.
    Well yeah, thats why I was suggesting that keep files on your main storage if there is no SD card, do not delete them off your main phone storage, but back the files up to the cloud. This will allow for retrieving files whenever and wherever you want from the main storage.

And yeah, when it comes to speed, removable battery certainly triumphs over quick charging, but quick charging is definitely the second best alternative when it comes to speed
    07-13-2015 01:02 PM
    This will allow for retrieving files whenever and wherever you want from the main storage.
    But you can't retrieve files whenever and wherever you want with the cloud, can you?

Edit: Sorry, I misread your last post, but still sd card for me is less of a hassle.
    07-13-2015 01:32 PM
    Keeping my Note 4. No SD + no removable battery= no sale from me. It's too risky keeping all your photos in a cloud. What if Google gets hacked and all my photos are compromised?

Note 4/AC App
    lions_lair likes this.
    07-13-2015 02:23 PM
    At the end of the day, people's decision about SD Card v. Cloud is subjective, and people will go for what is more convenient or appealing to them. However, this is my opinion on it:

I think a lot of people are making the mistake of thinking that without the SD Card, they will not be able to listen to music or record videos efficiently. Which is totally not true. Your phone still has local storage, which you would be able to record video, take pictures, or do anything else you could with an SD Card. The cloud is not and should not replace local storage. The cloud I believe should be more so a place to backup your documents and other files. The only benefit I see with using an SD card is the transfer of it from device to device. Other than that, nothing has really changed.

For those that make the argument about burning data or having no coverage, those are the people that are using the cloud wrong. The cloud is not replacing your local storage, and you do not have to backup your files to the cloud every 5 minutes. I personally have my setting so that it only backs up when I am on wifi, and will pause when I am not on wifi. This has worked pretty well for me, and when I check my data, my cloud transfer doesn't even show up as something that is wasting my data. It honestly does not take long to back up files to the cloud on a decent connection. You do not need a fiber optic connection to make use of the cloud.

For those that make the argument of phone storage, I believe this is not much of a strong argument as well. I currently have the 16GB version of the Galaxy S6 and I to take a lot of pictures and record video. I still have a good amount of free space left on my phone. I record in 720p video. What I do is backup all my pictures and videos to the cloud, and if I do not need them, on my phone, I can delete them, but also knowing I have them saved. On the contrary, if you do listen to a lot of music, this may be a problem, as it was for me. I do like to keep a lot of music on my phone locally, and I do not do so on my S6 because I prefer to save the phone space for apps and other things. I use the Asus Zenfone 2 as my music player, which does have an SD Card. This alternative has not been a problem for me so far, and I actually like carrying 2 phones around.

Now I highly doubt the SD card was the success or the optimal feature of the Note series, and everything you could do on the Note 4 I'm sure can certainly be done on the Note 5 if not more. I know personally I probably will not use the stylus on the Note 5. I will use it more so like I do the S6. My main reason for transferring from the S6 to the Note 5 is the 4GB of ram and the bigger battery (4GB of ram makes a noticeable difference from 3GB...comparing the Zenfone 2's 4GB to the S6's 3GB).

As for removable battery, fast charging has really worked well for me. Unless you are always on the move and cannot spare 5-10 minutes to fast charge your phone, then a removable battery is not much of a big problem. Now me personally, I prefer to have the option of the SD card and removable battery, but I will not tell myself I will not get a great phone because of those 2 features.

I was initially upset when the S6 was announced that there was no removable battery and SD card, especially since the SD Card was an needed feature for me. The camera is what drove me to the S6 over the need for a SD Card. I first tried cloud when I had my S5, and I can say it has been really helpful. For those that oppose it, I would say just try and make use of it and see if you would like it. Sure there are times when you won't have a connection to access it, but like I said, it should not be your main storage. Continue to keep pictures and videos on your phone's local storage, but if you do use the cloud, use it as a backup, not replacing your local storage. I also think its better to get used to it now then later because it seems like non-removable battery and no SD card is becoming the trend for mobile phones.

Everyone is going to have a reason why or why not. The best thing is to not take the option away. There are several users who prefer the sd card over the cloud for one reason or another.
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    07-13-2015 03:06 PM
    Keeping my Note 4. No SD + no removable battery= no sale from me. It's too risky keeping all your photos in a cloud. What if Google gets hacked and all my photos are compromised?

Note 4/AC App
    Do you put your photos on Facebook or Instagram or any other social media?
    07-13-2015 03:10 PM
    Everyone is going to have a reason why or why not. The best thing is to not take the option away. There are several users who prefer the sd card over the cloud for one reason or another.
    Yup I agree with this. I wish they left it there as an option rather than just remove it completely
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    07-13-2015 03:14 PM
    I'd like to say it would kill it for me, but it's more like it would rip, shred and mutilate it before killing it and then kill it. I was planning not to upgrade to 5 anyway from 4, but this pretty much makes sure my determination won't waver.

The entire removal of SD is nothing more then a money grab. .

More and more, I think so, too. As if the cost of ownership of this level of phone wasn't already high enough, they need to squeeze more dollars out of it.
    07-13-2015 04:15 PM
    Posted today on home page of Android Central....... UGH, I sure hope the feelings and predictions don't ring out true. I agree with monsieurms I don't want to be forced to pay more without option.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5: What do you want from the *next* next big thing? | Android Central
    07-13-2015 04:43 PM
    Non expandable storage kills it for me.

I am in the process of making my Note 4 self aware.
    monsieurms, soldier45 and peter733 like this.
    07-13-2015 04:46 PM
    Posted today on home page of Android Central....... UGH, I sure hope the feelings and predictions don't ring out true. I agree with monsieurms I don't want to be forced to pay more without option.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5: What do you want from the *next* next big thing? | Android Central
    Here's an excerpt from said article:

. . . (curved) glass-backed design would make a removable battery highly unlikely, and there are some pretty sound business reasons why Samsung might want to stick with a fixed amount of internal storage.

With higher-capacity Samsung SKUs finally becoming more readily available of late, it makes more sense for the company to sell a more expensive 64 or 128GB phone upfront, as opposed to crossing its fingers and hoping those with a 32GB model will eventually buy a Samsung microSD card.

Well, will have to wait and see then . . .
    07-13-2015 04:58 PM

Gotta love this from the article you linked:

"it makes more sense for the company to sell a more expensive 64 or 128GB phone upfront, as opposed to crossing its fingers and hoping those with a 32GB model will eventually buy a Samsung microSD card."

Yep, it's about Samsung greed. No reason I should support that going forward. I won't.
    GregMargie likes this.
    07-13-2015 05:07 PM
    "glass-backed design"

Yuck! That's another big thing that really kills it for me (besides lack of user-replaceable battery and SD card). Considering the size of a Note device, a glass back could make it a slippery sucker. Since I use my device naked (only use a leather pouch for transport), I'd rather have a more rubbery back that sticks in my hand.
    Yes I don't agree with the all glass note 5 smh.

Your friendly neighbor Verizon Galaxy Note 4 😎
    07-13-2015 05:22 PM
    I think the die is cast, be it in the Note 5 or any other new device. In the near future we will see the non user replaceable battery and the removable of the SD card become a thing of the past. Don't get me wrong, as a comsumer I like options and think we are still too early in the stage of the smartphone to remove these options, but the vendors and suppliers are looking at cost of support and this is driving the moves of Samsung as well as others. Not having to support third party products is a tremendous cost savings. We will see devices with larger than 32 Gb memory and yes they will cost the consumer more but in the end it will eventually over time reduce total cost of ownership.

I've had the S4, S5 and now the Note 4. I have also taken the leap to the cloud for storage. A bit un- nerving at first but I realize that is where the technoligy is taking us. I dumped my 64Gb SD card and now use various cloud storage services as a replacement.

We can either go with the flow or fight an uphill battle to keep the past. I've sold and supported technology for the past 40 years. I'll choose to go with the flow. I'll also keep my Note 4 until I really need to upgrade.

Posted via the Android Central App
    sweetypie31 and soldier45 like this.
    07-13-2015 05:35 PM
    Not being able to to switch out batteries is a real deal breaker. Batteries deteriorate so fast... From brand new to After about 6 months of heavy usage batteries tend loose a lot of their rentefiin capacity. So yeah non removable batteries will hurt samsung.... I will not be surprised if the S6 declines drastically by the end of the year for this same reason

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    D Android, lions_lair and peter733 like this.
    07-13-2015 07:03 PM
    Not being able to to switch out batteries is a real deal breaker. Batteries deteriorate so fast... From brand new to After about 6 months of heavy usage batteries tend loose a lot of their rentefiin capacity. So yeah non removable batteries will hurt samsung.... I will not be surprised if the S6 declines drastically by the end of the year for this same reason

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    Yeah. It's really hurt Apple to this point.
    I think the engineers at Samsung know a little more about battery technology than 99% of the rest of the public.
    I highly doubt a battery degrades noticeably over a year.
    I don't buy Samsung for removable batteries. My Galaxy Nexus didn't have a memory card, either. I didn't miss it much. I dealt with it because I wanted a Nexus at the time.
    I would get a Moto, but their cameras are still lacking for the most part. I can understand if sd storage and removable batteries are a must for some people. To me, it's not at the top of my list.
    I want a phone with a bigger screen, great camera, very good battery life with a stylus.
    No one else offers that at the moment.
    So, for me...NO it's not a deal breaker.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    mtmerrick likes this.
    07-13-2015 08:05 PM
    Without the Removable battery and the Micro SD card.. I will not even consider it
    07-13-2015 08:27 PM
    Thanks everyone for the input, really interesting finding most people, not all it is a deal breaker without the two included. Hope Sammy is reading the forums as me and many others are adding input on this subject. At this point we should hear something in the coming weeks on the details of the Note 5 good or bad. Supposed to be an announcement by mid August as of the rumor mill this week. We shall see.
    07-13-2015 08:38 PM
    I would probably move to the IPhone if they take away the slot and the removable battery nah I couldn't do a iPhone but I wouldn't upgrade just stick with the note4

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-13-2015 08:42 PM
    If the Note 5 has the much faster internal 128GB memory, 4GB RAM, the much enhanced screen, and the Samsung chipset I will definitely purchase it. Recent, admittedly rumors, listing the hardware would make it the most advanced phone and computer on the market bar none.
    mtmerrick likes this.
    07-13-2015 08:52 PM
    Definitely a deal killer for me. Samsung has less signal strength than other brands, and it does drain the battery faster when the signal strength is lower. My last phone had the battery deteriorate to the point of needing replaced a couple years ago, I paid $17 each for 2 new batteries, had them installed in 5 minutes and I as off and running. I load my micro sd card with lots of music, and retrieving the data does not require extreme speed, but it does require a lot of space. I also like the option of being able to retrieve the data from the sd card should the phone die. I have a friend who had her phone die with all her photo's in the internal memory, she sent it back to the factor to try to have them retrieved, I don't know if they were able to retrieve anything for her, but if she had a removable micro sd, it's just a matter of pulling it out and plugging it into a reader on the computer. I know someone who took theirs on a boat with the same results, internal memory, so sorry. They brag about the option to store it online, but then you are paying data charges to do that unless you have a wifi source you can use. It may cost Samsung more than a phone sale too, I was considering a tablet and a new television very soon, and I like the way the screen mirroring works, and that Samsung builds things to work with each other. If I no longer have a Samsung phone, I no longer have a need to go with other products made by them either. I am glad to hear a majority of users will also abandon ship over these key features, perhaps Samsung will listen. They risk losing no customers if they keep them, the risk losing several if they remove them.
    soldier45, lions_lair and peter733 like this.
    07-13-2015 09:14 PM
1,007 ... 678910 ...