Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phone-a-holic

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will you upgrade to Note 5 if it doesn't have SD slot?

Exactly my answer. I actually got used to not having an SD Card. People need to start using cloud services. Easier to use than SD Cards, and pics can be transferred and accessed faster than a MicroSD card. I've had times where my MicroSD card crashes.

Personally I have 2 phones, and my other phone (Asus Zenphone 2) has the SD Card, which I only use for music now because all my photos are saved on Google Drive

What happens when you don't have access to service? I do a lot of traveling and I don't always have access to stable internet. In some instances I carry to 2 128gb sd cards just to make sure I have all the files I need. Plus I can always just pop them into the lap top when needed.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Mostly yes. When I do my once a year PC cleaning, I copy & transfer important media files to 2 separate 2T external drives. As of now, I have 2 64 gb and 1 128 gb sd cards (I have yet to use the 2nd 64 gb and 128 gb). External drives and sd cards have become much cheaper now than 5 yrs ago.

Cloud services are not as reliable and efficient the way I would like them to be yet, for me. Imo, they are just a marketing ploy from makers to gauge money from consumers. They spin it in a way to claim superior engineering to makers that continue to make phones with the sd card and removable battery option.

SD card and removable battery equal freedom. This is all my opinion of course.

Ah yeah, I was distinguishing SD Cards from External Drives. I also keep all my files on external drives. I was referring more to SD Cards which are portable and linked to your phone. I mean I doubt you would carry your external drive everywhere you go unless you had a PC with you

But yeah, I personally do prefer SD Cards and removable batteries over not having them at all, but I also think the alternatives are not as bad as people make them out to be

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

What happens when you don't have access to service? I do a lot of traveling and I don't always have access to stable internet. In some instances I carry to 2 128gb sd cards just to make sure I have all the files I need. Plus I can always just pop them into the lap top when needed.

Yeah, I will admit that is the benefit of the SD Cards, being able to pop them in and out of other devices, especially when it comes to movies and music. Your case may be a bit different because since you do a lot of traveling, you would likely be carrying your laptop around with you.

I'll give you a hypothetical...say for example, you are at the airport without a laptop, and you forget to put some music on your phone, or you forget some documents you need to look at. If those were saved on the cloud, you could download them to your phone before you get on the plane, which is what I do often. Without a laptop, there is no way you could transfer files and documents to your phone that are not already on the SD Card

phone-a-holic

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I will admit that is the benefit of the SD Cards, being able to pop them in and out of other devices, especially when it comes to movies and music. Your case may be a bit different because since you do a lot of traveling, you would likely be carrying your laptop around with you.

I'll give you a hypothetical...say for example, you are at the airport without a laptop, and you forget to put some music on your phone, or you forget some documents you need to look at. If those were saved on the cloud, you could download them to your phone before you get on the plane, which is what I do often. Without a laptop, there is no way you could transfer files and documents to your phone that are not already on the SD Card

Trust me, I understand where you coming from as well. It just makes sense to me to have that option available to users of the note 5. So what does it mean for the SD card business if they force everything to the cloud? Well I see the need to have more reliable data and at some point we will all need to have unlimited data plans since Wifi is not always trusted and available.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Trust me, I understand where you coming from as well. It just makes sense to me to have that option available to users of the note 5. So what does it mean for the SD card business if they force everything to the cloud? Well I see the need to have more reliable data and at some point we will all need to have unlimited data plans since Wifi is not always trusted and available.

Yeah, I mean I would honestly prefer Samsung to keep the SD card as an option for those who would prefer it rather than to remove it completely, but I don't see it as such a bad thing. In a way, I kinda think Samsung is experimenting with the idea of no SD Card with the S6 and Note 5, but will probably put it back once there are faster and more reliable SD Cards. I know the flash storage that Samsung is using in the S6 is way faster than SD Cards now, but I'm sure they will have SD Cards in the future that will go up to those speeds, then phone companies will start adding back the microSD card slot.

And besides, WIFI and good service nowadays is not that hard to come by. I know some airplanes and trains offer free Wifi for passengers. So its becoming less of a hassle to use cloud storage.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

There are arguments on both sides of the microSD issue. Personally, I like the idea of being able to choose. I like being able to remove the card to download data to other devices. Others may not care. That's fine with me. But I definitely don't like that choice being taken away from me. I have less than 1GB of internal memory left on my 32GB phone, but plenty of room left on my 64GB microSD card. Not being able to transfer most data to the card, as we could a few years ago, fills up the internal pretty quickly. Rooting my phone is an option I choose not to pursue. Nor should I have to. Even though it's against my preference, I MIGHT consider the non-microSD option Note 5, if it offers 128GB internal storage at a reasonable cost. However, I won't consider a Note 5 that doesn't allow battery replacement. I will keep my Note 4 as long as it's feasible, then switch to the latest LG.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

I don't care how fast a flash drive is because for my needs it doesn't make a difference. My SD cards are of average speed and it's more than enough for me movies are running great, photos are loaded instantly as are my pdf files.

The cloud never was, is and never will be an option for me because 1. I don't trust companies with my personal data 2. I prefer local offline stuff and 3. They can take their spy and DRM plagued services wherever the sun doesn't shine
I can't believe that people are trusting public WiFi or hotspots I would never do that because of privacy and security concerns.

Samsung and their stupid marketing team are trying their best to come up with excuses to remove beloved features and yet they still fail with real explanation....can't be just coincidence. SD Cards and removable batteries are enhancing my productivity and provide the freedom I'm expecting from a high-end device.

So if they decide to turn the note into a form over function phone my next one will be from LG.

phone-a-holic

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I mean I would honestly prefer Samsung to keep the SD card as an option for those who would prefer it rather than to remove it completely, but I don't see it as such a bad thing. In a way, I kinda think Samsung is experimenting with the idea of no SD Card with the S6 and Note 5, but will probably put it back once there are faster and more reliable SD Cards. I know the flash storage that Samsung is using in the S6 is way faster than SD Cards now, but I'm sure they will have SD Cards in the future that will go up to those speeds, then phone companies will start adding back the microSD card slot.

And besides, WIFI and good service nowadays is not that hard to come by. I know some airplanes and trains offer free Wifi for passengers. So its becoming less of a hassle to use cloud storage.

True, but when you travel to rural areas as a much as I do wifi and Internet are not so readily available.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I don't care how fast a flash drive is because for my needs it doesn't make a difference. My SD cards are of average speed and it's more than enough for me movies are running great, photos are loaded instantly as are my pdf files.

The cloud never was, is and never will be an option for me because 1. I don't trust companies with my personal data 2. I prefer local offline stuff and 3. They can take their spy and DRM plagued services wherever the sun doesn't shine
I can't believe that people are trusting public WiFi or hotspots I would never do that because of privacy and security concerns.

Samsung and their stupid marketing team are trying their best to come up with excuses to remove beloved features and yet they still fail with real explanation....can't be just coincidence. SD Cards and removable batteries are enhancing my productivity and provide the freedom I'm expecting from a high-end device.

So if they decide to turn the note into a form over function phone my next one will be from LG.

HERE! HERE!

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

This is the main and probably only problem people have with cloud storage is security. I understand the concern, but you do know these companies are held under strict laws when it comes to privacy of your files (I'm a law student). I highly doubt those companies will take the risk of snooping into other people's files, especially since they allege that they wont in their contracts. Its also true that people can hack into your SD Cards so long as it is linked to your phone.

Besides the security argument, there is not much else wrong with cloud storage.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

There are arguments on both sides of the microSD issue. Personally, I like the idea of being able to choose. I like being able to remove the card to download data to other devices. Others may not care. That's fine with me. But I definitely don't like that choice being taken away from me. I have less than 1GB of internal memory left on my 32GB phone, but plenty of room left on my 64GB microSD card. Not being able to transfer most data to the card, as we could a few years ago, fills up the internal pretty quickly. Rooting my phone is an option I choose not to pursue. Nor should I have to. Even though it's against my preference, I MIGHT consider the non-microSD option Note 5, if it offers 128GB internal storage at a reasonable cost. However, I won't consider a Note 5 that doesn't allow battery replacement. I will keep my Note 4 as long as it's feasible, then switch to the latest LG.

Yeah, that's another problem too without removable storage. Right now it's fine, but I don't like how much "internal memory" is eaten up on <32GB Samsung phones. And without a MicroSD, I'd be deleting things too often from the internal storage to make room for apps, etc. It would take it back to the days of the DROID4, where they used to partition app space vs. "all other storage"... rather it be kept apart if I could help it. That's how I run my desktop computers: 1 HD for apps and OS, other drives for everything else

srayjacobs

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

No SD card... maybe. No removable battery, I'm out.

Posted via the Android Central App

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

This is the main and probably only problem people have with cloud storage is security. I understand the concern, but you do know these companies are held under strict laws when it comes to privacy of your files (I'm a law student). I highly doubt those companies will take the risk of snooping into other people's files, especially since they allege that they wont in their contracts. Its also true that people can hack into your SD Cards so long as it is linked to your phone.

Besides the security argument, there is not much else wrong with cloud storage.
I know that but the truth of the matter is companies aren't getting that big without knowing how to play the law. Sure they may be saying all the right things and even sign disclosure contracts but at the end of the day they have the option to sneak into files and that alone is scary enough.

Yes, SD cards can be hacked but it is much harder than just hacking into some cloud service from what I understand. In reality cloud means store your stuff in the internet.

I keep my SD cards in a small little case so if they aren't in my phone they can't be hacked and each one of the 4 is also password protected.

The reason why companies are pushing the cloud is simple to make money by offering crazy amounts of storage, then make more money by selling your data to advertisers and make money again by putting their apps on phones. And of course all that stupid DRM stuff

The funny thing is Samsung was the company making fun of wallhuggers and now they are doing the exact same thing. I mean the only difference between an IPhone and Samsung would be the OS and nothing else if it wanted that I'd just buy an iPhone ..

Looks like my Note 4 will have to last even longer than I've first thought after that LG hopefully has developed comparable S pen features

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I know that but the truth of the matter is companies aren't getting that big without knowing how to play the law. Sure they may be saying all the right things and even sign disclosure contracts but at the end of the day they have the option to sneak into files and that alone is scary enough.

Yes, SD cards can be hacked but it is much harder than just hacking into some cloud service from what I understand. In reality cloud means store your stuff in the internet.

I keep my SD cards in a small little case so if they aren't in my phone they can't be hacked and each one of the 4 is also password protected.

The reason why companies are pushing the cloud is simple to make money by offering crazy amounts of storage, then make more money by selling your data to advertisers and make money again by putting their apps on phones. And of course all that stupid DRM stuff

Well you do know that your carrier has access to all your phone numbers and text messages, and possible know everything you download on their network, which could be worst than them having access to your pictures and music. I don't see that comparison as much different. It will truly be hard to hide all your personal information from the companies that manage them, but I would trust that they will not do anything with them.

I am also pretty sure password protecting your SD cards will not prevent hackers from getting in. If you go into "My Files" on your phone, anyone can access the "ext_card" folder without the need for a password

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

The funny thing is Samsung was the company making fun of wallhuggers and now they are doing the exact same thing. I mean the only difference between an IPhone and Samsung would be the OS and nothing else if it wanted that I'd just buy an iPhone ..

Yeah, Samsung really contradicted themselves showing that ad, and then no longer adding a removable battery...bad part on them

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

Well you do know that your carrier has access to all your phone numbers and text messages, and possible know everything you download on their network, which could be worst than them having access to your pictures and music. I don't see that comparison as much different. It will truly be hard to hide all your personal information from the companies that manage them, but I would trust that they will not do anything with them.

I am also pretty sure password protecting your SD cards will not prevent hackers from getting in. If you go into "My Files" on your phone, anyone can access the "ext_card" folder without the need for a password
I know and that thought is scary enough hence why rooting and installing privacy software such as xprivacy is so important I mean, hackers are targeting the cloud services because they know some people are storing some very private data there . Well if you add a password to your sd card there should be an option to enter it every time files from it are accessed.

Yeah the Samsung ad someone should have played during their introduction last year, I am sure the reaction from the samsung execs would have been hilarious.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Yeah the Samsung ad someone should have played during their introduction last year, I am sure the reaction from the samsung execs would have been hilarious.

Yeah that would have been pretty funny :D

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

Exactly my answer. I actually got used to not having an SD Card. People need to start using cloud services. Easier to use than SD Cards, and pics can be transferred and accessed faster than a MicroSD card. I've had times where my MicroSD card crashes.

Personally I have 2 phones, and my other phone (Asus Zenphone 2) has the SD Card, which I only use for music now because all my photos are saved on Google Drive

I took 1300+ pictures this 4th of July weekend, using over 8 GB of data (and that's not including the videos I took). Where and how am I supposed to upload these pictures to the cloud? Obviously I can't use my carrier's data plan because I'd be using all my data quickly. And my hotel room's free wifi only had a 0.1 Mbps upload speed. Do you know how long it would take to upload 8 GB of data at 0.1 Mbps?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I took 1300+ pictures this 4th of July weekend, using over 8 GB of data (and that's not including the videos I took). Where and how am I supposed to upload these pictures to the cloud? Obviously I can't use my carrier's data plan because I'd be using all my data quickly. And my hotel room's free wifi only had a 0.1 Mbps upload speed. Do you know how long it would take to upload 8 GB of data at 0.1 Mbps?
Use Google Photos, it has the feature where it automatically uploads to the cloud once u take the pic so u don't have to do it in bulk

I'd suggest u back it up to the cloud when u get a good connection, or do it overnight

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!

Last edited:

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

Use Google Photos, it has the feature where it automatically uploads to the cloud once u take the pic so u don't have to do it in bulk

I'd suggest u back it up to the cloud when u get a good connection, or do it overnight

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!

I don't think you understand the crux of the problem. If I have 8 GB of data and I need to upload it, but my connection speed from a hotel with crappy wifi is only 0.1 Mbps, it would take 10,666 minutes to upload. Even if the upload speed was 1 Mbps it would still take 1,066 minutes.

My point is, when dealing with large amounts of data (photos/videos) and you have no access to fast wifi, you NEED an SD card for the additional storage. Uploading to the cloud so you can clear out storage is just not feasible, I shouldn't have to wait overnight to make sure my photos upload. What if the connection breaks, or a photo fails to upload? What if I run out of storage during the middle of the day? Having the additional storage right with my device gives me the ability to keep on trucking without having to worry about uploading or having enough storage space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty