Note 5 Battery life thread

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Again. No idea how people are getting this epic battery life without shutting down tons of features. Mine is attached and I have Approx 3 hours left.

It's OK but not the unreal stuff I've seen from others.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 230.jpg
    230.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 105

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
One thing I'd like to know from those who are getting ridiculously good battery. Do you have email set to sync automatically on demand or do you manually refresh? Do you have weather apps that sync at all and if so how much?

What about social media accounts?

I have office apps like One Drive and Docs as well as Microsoft Office apps. I do not sync them however nor do I with Docs and Sheets

I do sync pictures but only set it to do it over WiFi.

I just cannot figure out why I cannot seem to pull what others are pulling.

I will say that my SOT will be high. I text frequently and check email once every 10-15 minutes. I do check Facebook but only over Chrome (deleted the app)

I read the WSJ app in the AM for probably 15 min or so. Check Twitter but less frequently and not set to sync.

And I've disabled all Samsung and Verizon bloatware as well as Amazon except for Audible and Amazon App itself.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
One thing I'd like to know from those who are getting ridiculously good battery. Do you have email set to sync automatically on demand or do you manually refresh? Do you have weather apps that sync at all and if so how much?

I have office apps like One Drive and Docs as well as Microsoft Office apps. I do not sync them however nor do I with Docs and Sheets

I will say that my SOT will be high. I text frequently and check email once every 10-15 minutes. I do check Facebook but only over Chrome (deleted the app)

I read the WSJ app in the AM for probably 15 min or so. Check Twitter but less frequently and not set to sync.

And I've disabled all Samsung and Verizon bloatware as well as Amazon except for Audible and Amazon App itself.

I have all my emails syncing every 2 hours, my social media auto syncing is off
Try using the app Doze it helps as well

Sent from my Asus Zenphone 2!

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I have all my emails syncing every 2 hours, my social media auto syncing is off
Try using the app Doze it helps as well

Sent from my Asus Zenphone 2!

I couldn't do that with Email. Need it for work and answering a lot of email.

I do use Doze. Also Shutapp

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
So Shutapp continues to pull up Samsung TTS app. Does this use a lot of battery? I use SwiftKey anyway. If it's not a battery killer I'd just white list it.

Also if I remove an app but didn't clear cache grist should I do that on a reset? Does it matter?

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

I'm unsure if I would consider mine up there with some others, but it is very decent battery life I'm seeing. I don't have much off or disabled honestly. I do fetch my own e-mails, but that's a habit that carried over from when the note 4 was getting horrible battery life, plus being a student means I don't have super duper time sensitive e-mails I need to have pushed. All my Microsoft office apps only sync over wi-fi to save data usage, and I only use them over wi-fi really. I have some Google things syncing all the time. I still use Facebook moderately, the app itself, Tumblr sparingly, Snapchat sparingly, but lots of Google+ and AC forums lately. A good amount of Textra. I don't have doze because I didn't like it, but I did try Shutapp today, and I'm unsure if that has helped or not. I'm constantly streaming music via Spotify and listening to a few podcasts in the morning. I do have some news apps that I use once or twice a day. Wi-fi scanning always is off, bluetooth is currently off, location is always on. And I'm running Nova prime. I'm basically doing the exact same things I did with the Note 4 minus Shutapp, but I'm receiving 2 1/2-3ish more SOT hours and about 6 more hours in total. When I think about the kind of heavier than usual testing I did to it today, yet it withstood, it's really awesome. Also, the Note 5 gets much better signal on T-Mobile than the Note 4 did so that helps tremendously in my case.

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I might be heading back to a iPhone 6 Plus. The battery life was really amazing on the 6 plus. I use my phone a lot and just don't know if I can get past the battery discrepancy.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm unsure if I would consider mine up there with some others, but it is very decent battery life I'm seeing. I don't have much off or disabled honestly. I do fetch my own e-mails, but that's a habit that carried over from when the note 4 was getting horrible battery life, plus being a student means I don't have super duper time sensitive e-mails I need to have pushed. All my Microsoft office apps only sync over wi-fi to save data usage, and I only use them over wi-fi really. I have some Google things syncing all the time. I still use Facebook moderately, the app itself, Tumblr sparingly, Snapchat sparingly, but lots of Google+ and AC forums lately. A good amount of Textra. I don't have doze because I didn't like it, but I did try Shutapp today, and I'm unsure if that has helped or not. I'm constantly streaming music via Spotify and listening to a few podcasts in the morning. I do have some news apps that I use once or twice a day. Wi-fi scanning always is off, bluetooth is currently off, location is always on. And I'm running Nova prime. I'm basically doing the exact same things I did with the Note 4 minus Shutapp, but I'm receiving 2 1/2-3ish more SOT hours and about 6 more hours in total. When I think about the kind of heavier than usual testing I did to it today, yet it withstood, it's really awesome. Also, the Note 5 gets much better signal on T-Mobile than the Note 4 did so that helps tremendously in my case.

Well attached is what I am getting with all the tweaks I made. Not great I guess. I might be regretting dumping my iPhone 6+

I'm 4% battery and approx 34 minutes left.

Attachments

• 233.jpg
    233.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 174

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I might be heading back to a iPhone 6 Plus. The battery life was really amazing on the 6 plus. I use my phone a lot and just don't know if I can get past the battery discrepancy.

I'm giving it a full week and then I'll see where I am. But losing that extra 3-4 hours of battery I was getting is not good. I don't get it.

Earl_E_Adopter

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
This is where I am after watching videos, talking all day, and texting like no man should

Posted from my Note 5 via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 329.jpg
    329.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 174

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Doze didn't seem to do a ton for me but shutapp seems like the real deal. I'm approaching 7 hours of SOT an thats with playing a game for 2 hours. Unreal.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

85ec85d114578993f0acd29bb48bf3ea.jpg

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I just got almost 6 hours of SOT on my note 5 where I only got 3 hours on my S6. Same settings and similar use. In short, I love my note5 and the better battery performance.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-01-23-32-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-01-23-32-59.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 56

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I just got almost 6 hours of SOT on my note 5 where I only got 3 hours on my S6. Same settings and similar use. In short, I love my note5 and the better battery performance.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5

Still loving the S6, but...I think you just convinced me to move over to the Note 5. Officially trigger happy for the titanium silver.

dreaming of electric sheep

Last edited:

reidcc

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I've disabled most ATT and Samsung bloat. I've disabled the Facebook App, and use a Chrome link to mobile Facebook page instead.
I have all my Syncing done manually except photos over wi-fi. I've also disabled ANT+ services- per a thread in the S6 Forum on battery life.
My phone is powered on 15 to 16 hrs a day. Brightness is not on Auto, and looks like I set it to 25%.
My first charge- 48 hrs of up time, with 4+ hrs SOT, and 1.5 hrs GPS and MapmyRun
My 2nd charge- 63 hrs of up time, with 4+ hrs SOT (yes- that is 4 days of almost 16 hr days).
My 3rd charge will be tonight- and as of now 49 hrs up time, 3 hrs 10 min SOT, 1.5 hrs GPS with MapmyWalk.
I do use it for txt'ing and calls(duh), Mahjong and Solitaire.
At least I know what the phone is capable of with not heavy use.

I did post snapshots a bit further back of my 2nd set of stats- either in this thread, or in one of someone coming from an IP 6Plus- can't remember.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

You have a bad signal though, right?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Im thinking about returning my note 5! Battery life isnt good and apps keep running! Cell standb

I had the note 5 for 6 days now and noticed the battery life isnt great coming from a zte zmax which is a cheap phone but it has a huge battery and it made it threw the day even with heavy usage and i sometimes was able to use the phone on the same charge the next day! Now with this note 5 the that is a NO! Apps keep freakin running and i do end them and then some pop up again! Also the cell standby is the number 2 killer of my battery drain! Is this cell standby thing happening with everyone who has freakin t-mobile?!? Is there a fix? I havent heard any complaints of the cell standby issue with verizon or at&t! Also i shouldnt have to turn on power saving mode to get threw the day with this phone because when i do turn it on it sucks and makes my phone run choppy! My zte zmax only costed my $250 and the battery can last me a full day and a half yea it took crappy pictures and wasnt as fast but still never needed to plug it up!

Screen brightness on auto and mostly of the day im using wifi i dunno if these things can be the cause of it? Also have all my vibrations on. Volte is on as well. Sync is always on. Font is set on large. Smart stay off. Screen mode Amoled cinema. daydream off. Everything for the s-pen is off since i dont use it. Motions and gestures are all off.

These apps keep running even after i end them=Google play service, T-mobile my account,Facebook messenger, Google app, camera, s-note,messages,contacts

Help me out before i return this thing because besides the battery and apps keep running i love it!

Ending does not keep apps from coming back up. If you could end the apps you are talking about, your phone wouldn't work. Google App is the workings of your phone, basically.

Google Play Services? Why do you want to stop that?

Ending Messages means your texts wouldn't come through.

Ending S-Note and Camera isn't going to help you with saving any battery.

Facebook Messenger is another issue. I don't use it, just the Facebook app without Messenger, but it is tricky in stopping it. I can address that with you in the next request.

Now I need you to do something, since this thread is so long and involved. We are going to go over your phone in detail. I want you to start a new thread in the forum. I want you to go to application manager, under ALL, and screenshot the apps. It will take several screenshots. I think you can add like 5 screenshots per post. Then go to the Disabled tab and screenshot all you have disabled.

Then screenshot your battery graph, the graph and then scroll down and screenshot everything that it lists under it.

As far as T-mobile and standby, no I don't have that standby issue. Are you using WiFi calling? What about your signal? Get your signal bars in the screenshot of the battery.

We will handle Facebook and messenger in that thread. You will have to several posts to get all these screenshots, but it is the second best way for me to look without having my hands on your phone.

I'll watch for your thread, you can also post here and let me know when you have it done.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Still loving the S6, but...I think you just convinced me to move over to the Note 5. Officially trigger happy for the titanium silver.

I was on the S6 Edge for a few weeks between my Note 4 and Note 5, the Note 5 is much better than the S6. You have the great screen, larger screen and then the spen and the battery is larger.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I'm checking daily and some times 3 or 4 times a day on eBay to see if the Silver Titanium finally appear and prices go down a little. I'm also waiting for today's Sony Xperia announcement to see if the rumored Z5 and Z5 Premium are the real deal, if not then will focus completely on getting my Silver Titanium Note 5.

wvtarheel

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm averaging around 6.5 hours of screen on time and right around 15 hours of total life... Thats still with something holding my phone awake a couple hours a day. If I installed ShutApp I could get even more but honeslty I'm fine waiting for Android M to drop and see what that does