Note 5 Battery life thread

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I just got the phone and I'm not sure how long the battery should last. I fully charged it and its been running for 46 minutes and i went from 100 to 87. My brightness is low, my wifi is on, location is off. I'm not sure if this is good or normal? I have 8 hours and 42 minutes left according to the system. is this normal? i havent used apps at all and no internet either. you guys are all getting good readouts and it doesnt seem like i am.
Just chill and judge the phone when the newness and need to reach for it often dies off. I don’t turn off anything on my edge plus and use it heavily. It works fine and is above most other phones I have tried in the last couple of years.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
With all the talk about heavy moderate or light use I'm starting to understand one person's definition of those terms is different than others.

There are some people that have their phones for just personal use. They read FB and other social media. They listen to music. Might watch a little You Tube some gaming etc. I'd consider that to be light to slightly moderate depending on SOT. BUT if they dont get a lot of work related email it changes things.

For someone like me this is my personal and work phone. I get a LOT of email daily and answered many back. I am receiving upwards of 50-60 emails in a day and responding to half of them.

I am texting frequently when not in the car and when in the car on the phone hands free with plugged in ear buds.

I do use FB and probably check it hourly for 5-10 minutes. I check Twitter occasionally during the day as well.

Most of my use in battery is email, text, reading some articles relevant to work, and pulling up video links sent to me. I'll use the AC forums app as well as feedly and the WSJ app.

To me when you're using it in this manner it uses a LOT of juice apparently.

That's heavy use in my opinion. Always reaching for it throughout the day. And I don't have an office I go to. I have a home office so I'm not restricted from when I use it and how I use it.

I'm getting with Heavy use in this manner about 9-11 hours max and maybe that's what I should expect despite my iPhone 6+ under the same conditions giving me 12-15 hours.

Side note: I shut off WiFi to the phone and noticed MUCH better battery life using just 4g or 3g because my signal is not great. To me that's the opposite of what SHOULD happen.

Maybe with an update this will change. I'm on Verizon BTW

Posted via the Android Central App

reidcc

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Spasell-
I disabled Google Now as well and believe it helped me too.
I've mentioned this in past postings here- that there is a great battery thread in the S6 Forum(I think eraset started it!). I thought I found that disabling the ANT + entries in Apps made a big difference as well.
I have no auto-syncing to my accounts, and I disabled the Facebook App. For FB- I saved a link in Chrome to my desktop- a lot less battery resources.
My standby time is obscene! My last was 63 hours with 4.5 hrs SOT, 1.5 hrs GPS.

Chris

Not the epic battery others have had but after I disabled Google Now battery has been best I've had.

Now waiting for cell range extender and see if I can fix poor coverage from home.

jlilnc14

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
This is my battery after 8 hours overnight. Started from 99%. Comments? The phone antenna is a bit high.

Attachments

• 1441372653055.jpg
    1441372653055.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 71

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
You mean Verizon doesn't give any away?

AT&T sells them, but sometimes store managers or customer care will give them away when you complain about your signal.

I just bought one from AT&T. It was $150 and they are offering a $75 Visa prepaid card so the final cost is only $75. Best money I ever spent.

pwiddy

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
mine is getting delivered today, but what is this doze I keep reading about people having on here? I have googled and see its an android M feature, but is it avail on the n5?

unknownuser02

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
With all the talk about heavy moderate or light use I'm starting to understand one person's definition of those terms is different than others.

There are some people that have their phones for just personal use. They read FB and other social media. They listen to music. Might watch a little You Tube some gaming etc. I'd consider that to be light to slightly moderate depending on SOT. BUT if they dont get a lot of work related email it changes things.

For someone like me this is my personal and work phone. I get a LOT of email daily and answered many back. I am receiving upwards of 50-60 emails in a day and responding to half of them.

I am texting frequently when not in the car and when in the car on the phone hands free with plugged in ear buds.

I do use FB and probably check it hourly for 5-10 minutes. I check Twitter occasionally during the day as well.

Most of my use in battery is email, text, reading some articles relevant to work, and pulling up video links sent to me. I'll use the AC forums app as well as feedly and the WSJ app.

That's heavy use in my opinion. Always reaching for it throughout the day. And I don't have an office I go to. I have a home office so I'm not restricted from when I use it and how I use it.

I'm getting with Heavy use in this manner about 9-11 hours max and maybe that's what I should expect despite my iPhone 6+ under the same conditions giving me 12-15 hours.

Side note: I shut off WiFi to the phone and noticed MUCH better battery life using just 4g or 3g because my signal is not great. To me that's the opposite of what SHOULD happen.

I agree that phone use is a matter of opinion. I'd also like to state that there are different versions of use as it relates to battery life. A person could be a heavy user with less SOT simply because their activities require more of the phones resources.

Maybe someone will eventually define a standard for definitions of light, moderate, and heavy use. For now, I think it's best to actually describe your use.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Actually emails, texts, browsing here and there, etc.. You can get a lot of hours. Watching videos and some games, will go through battery much quicker.

If you have the WSJ app, something to keep in mind, is many news apps use location, but don't tell you unless you go digging in the settings.

Even with that many emails coming in, syncing, depending on how often, could use a lot. Are you using the email app or Gmail? I sync the inbox of one account, it sends me notifications, but that doesn't stop the numbers showing up beside the other boxes or me having notifications. I mean if you have regular people you might want to be notified immediately when they email, you might want to set up some as priority and sync your priority box and the when you open the app, you just tap on "all inboxes" and see what else you have there.

I disconnected the home phone years ago, we all have cell numbers, I use my phone for personal and work. Sometimes I'm on the office, sometimes at home, sometimes St other offices. Sometimes I will be at places that have horrible signal and it will drain my battery a lot. I have a fast car charger that I can get about 30% battery in about 10 minutes. I also have a fast charge external battery if needed and I have an extra fast charge wall charger block I keep in a small bag in my purse with the external battery. Usually the only thing I ever had to use is the car charger, but every once in a while, I'm out somewhere I know a plug us available and I'll plug up my phone while there.

Now there is something else you might want to consider and my sister has this with her iPhone 6, is a charging case. It isn't something you use all the time, just if you are in a position where battery is running low, pop the case on. I find the fast car charger does well. You don't have to go all day without plugging it onto the car charger when you are in the car driving between appointments.

Also with iPhone and Android, you have a lot more running in the background with Android than you do with iPhone, so it is really hard to compare the batteries. Just a basic phone and not a work phone especially, less functionality with the iPhone works for many people. I can pull excel or word documents from my home computer, my office computer and my office network, on my phone, I can do them on my phone and upload to all three. For me, Android is better functioning for those type things than iPhone is.

Android also reports battery in an odd way for some. If low signal is using a lot of battery, it is going to take getting that booster to get a true use of battery for you and that can also mean, you are able to turn on some of the other features you have stopped and not get bad battery drain. A bad signal with an LTE phone will drain your battery fast. Also once things are like you want, you can free ignore the percentages of use, unless you start draining quickly for some odd reason.

Think of the battery this way. You have a pie and 3 people are eating. One person eats 1.5 pieces, 2 people eat the 1.5 piece together. Now one person will show eating 50%, but that isn't 50% of the pie, but 50% of the pie that has been eaten.

99% of the time, my screen time is my highest percentage. Now if I'm in a low signal area, my Android System or call standby by will sometimes pop up higher, but I know it is the bad signal causing it. Good signal and high screen and Android System very high, I start looking for something strange happening.

Now if I'm out somewhere and will be for a while and signal is low, I will turn off location completely while there. Yes, I have some things that aren't going to work, like geo news or my weather alert radio, those are based strictly on location, but that stops the battery drain from them. Most times in don't worry about it though, I just stick the phone on the car charger when I leave that place.

Note5User

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I am not Happy with this Note 5 battery life.
It hardly lasts for 20hrs with minimum usage.
I have Samsung S4 which losts for at least 2 days and Iphone 6+ will go for more than 3 days.

And when i left this phone overnight it drained almost 40% in about 7 to 8 hrs.

Not sure whats going on

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
So another area of concern is the combo of using WiFi and cell being on at the same time. Granted my cell coverage is kind of weak so that's probably an issue. You can see the bigger dip here in battery performance and it happens close to the time I arrived home and need to have WiFi on to surf Web or check FB etc.

When I got home at 3:15i had 55% battery remaining having left at 830am with 92% so I was happy about that. I unplugged at 545am with full battery so only dropped 8% until I walked out the door almost 2.5 hours later.

When I popped on wifi and sat outside it started to drain much faster. Now I'm at 33% so almost 20% loss in 1.45 hours.

Wondering if it's simply just poor signal or combo of WiFi and cell together.

On a sour note I received the cell range extender and was mad to mean you need to attach the antenna outside up high and then drill into the home where cable would connect to the extender device. Can't do that.

Attachments

• 262.jpg
    262.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 93

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So another area of concern is the combo of using WiFi and cell being on at the same time. Granted my cell coverage is kind of weak so that's probably an issue. You can see the bigger dip here in battery performance and it happens close to the time I arrived home and need to have WiFi on to surf Web or check FB etc.

When I got home at 3:15i had 55% battery remaining having left at 830am with 92% so I was happy about that. I unplugged at 545am with full battery so only dropped 8% until I walked out the door almost 2.5 hours later.

When I popped on wifi and sat outside it started to drain much faster. Now I'm at 33% so almost 20% loss in 1.45 hours.

Wondering if it's simply just poor signal or combo of WiFi and cell together.

On a sour note I received the cell range extender and was mad to mean you need to attach the antenna outside up high and then drill into the home where cable would connect to the extender device. Can't do that.

Well I never turn WiFi off. Many Verizon people have seen a big jump on standby with WiFi turned on. You so have two radios working. That hasn't been an issue for me.

Bad signal can drain so much.

That is bad the Verizon one is that way. I have to say, T-Mobile has the best signal booster. Their LTE booster is two boxes the size of modems, you put one on a window where it has the best signal and then the other box far enough away from that to to broadcast the signal. You don't have to have Internet connected to it.

Have you talked to Verizon about the various boosters they have?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I am not Happy with this Note 5 battery life.
It hardly lasts for 20hrs with minimum usage.
I have Samsung S4 which losts for at least 2 days and Iphone 6+ will go for more than 3 days.

And when i left this phone overnight it drained almost 40% in about 7 to 8 hrs.

Not sure whats going on

Well this is mine and I'm about to charge because I'm going out. This is with 5 hours SOT.

Attachments

• 1441403114414.jpg
    1441403114414.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 47

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I've owned an N5 for 24 hours now. Heavy use with tons of downloading, configuring, etc. It went 24 hours and I had 35% left when I put it on the charger.

There might be battery calibration still happening, but instinctively, I can say that battery life is far better than my LG G2, with had much less processing power, and a smaller, less dense display.

I find the N5 to be amazing on every front.

I also chucked all of the apps that I know need to be chucked for me - Facebook, Instagram, VZW apps, etc. So, there were less apps potentially working in the background.

Note5User

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
You are lucky.
Sadly i have 2 Note 5,both discharge very quickly.
And it will take almost 6 hrs for fully charge. Not sure whats going wrong with my devices.
Yes i have disabled all ATT, Games, Facebook, instagram etc which i dont use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez