Note 5 Tips and Tricks Thread

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I've been seeing this image on a lot of YouTube videos and have not been able to figure out what it is. I'm talking about the video camera icon on the bottom left. Is this a native video calling function or an app that works within the phone app? I have a voicemail icon on my ATT Note 5,View attachment 192646

Advanced Calling on VZW... I guess it only works on VZW Android phones that also have Advanced Calling (VoLTE) enabled? My wife has an iPhone 6 so it doesn't work with her phone.

Posted via my Note 5

Attachments

• 2588.jpg
    2588.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 461
  • 2589.jpg
    2589.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 460

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
S Pen Ink notes integration with Desktop Apps with GN5

Findings in experimenting with S Note sync to Samsung App (Samsung account) and Evernote:
  • Samsung S Note Desktop App is slow and ink has huge lags when updating notes
  • S Notes synced to Evernote are just screen shot images of the S Note - not dynamic

Experimenting with GN5 OneNote Mobile integration to DeskTop OneNote
  • Sync is Fast
  • Ink inputted into your note on the phone STAYS as INK in the Desktop OneNote App
  • Very tight integration - More capable than S Note integration

Two Images below:
1. Evernote's static bitmap of the S Note from the phone
2. OneNote's dynamic "live ink" integration of the Mobile OneNote now integrated into Desktop

View attachment 192675

View attachment 192676

Two More Images:
1. S Note on the phone
2. OneNote on the phone

View attachment 192677

View attachment 192679

Bottom line for me: There is a hugely effective solution in the tight and dynamic ink integration of notes between the Galaxy Note 5 and Desktop when using OneNote Mobile and OneNote Desktop.

Well done Microsoft and Samsung - this is a huge winner!

Couldn't agree with you more. I've been using this same set up for about a year now. In my opinion you just can't beat OneNote between your Note Phone, Note Tablet and PC.

Posted via the Android Central App

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I noticed the app drawer was just dropping apps in as I downloaded them. I prefer them alphabetically. I noticed in the upper right hand corner there's an A-Z option. Changed mine.

Also, there's an "edit", and you can drag and drop the first into the other app and it creates a folder. Rename, etc., and you have a folder for unused or unliked apps.

Posted via the *Note 5*

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I've been seeing this image on a lot of YouTube videos and have not been able to figure out what it is. I'm talking about the video camera icon on the bottom left. Is this a native video calling function or an app that works within the phone app? I have a voicemail icon on my ATT Note 5,View attachment 192646

Mine has an icon that goes to t-mobile voice mail. I use Google voice so it's useless to me, but I couldn't see a way to change it in settings. So I'm not sure what yours is.

Posted via the *Note 5*

This is the native Video Calling available in most if not all Unlocked variants and maybe some other non-US carriers.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Found this video to be pretty helpful.

https://youtu.be/7OxY9znsjSg

Thank you for that. Some I have learned, but that is great. I started a thread here, http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5/570573-new-note-user-s-pen.html#post4631730, but this video helps a lot.

I didn't realize that you could rest your hand on the screen while you write with the Spen. That is good to know.

I also discovered that you can "remove" the icon by dragging it up and then into the garbage can. Bring it back by clicking on the clicker on the Spen.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Like iPhone FaceTime?

Can't really tell because I don't have anybody else to try this with, but in my Unlocked Galaxy S6 as soon as you press that Icon it immediately changes to Video Call, it will be interesting to test it to see how good it is.

Earl_E_Adopter

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Advanced Calling on VZW... I guess it only works on VZW Android phones that also have Advanced Calling (VoLTE) enabled? My wife has an iPhone 6 so it doesn't work with her phone.

Posted via my Note 5

VZW may not have gotten Samsung Pay but they got native video calling instead. Worth it?

Posted from my Note 5 via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 242.jpg
    242.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 371
  • 241.jpg
    241.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 371

roll2tide

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
AT&T. If I long press an empty area I can rearrange/remove normal app icons but the bottom row isn't accessible.

From my Note 5

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I replaced the stock browser with Chrome on my Note 5 and I'm on AT&T.. The stock browser was in the bottom docked row of icons

Sent from my Note 5

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't have AT&T anymore but I haven't seen anyone at AT&T complain about this, BUT.. it wouldn't be the first time AT&T removed a feature. Maybe someone with AT&T will pop on here and we can see if it is an AT&T thing or just your phone.

roll2tide

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I replaced the stock browser with Chrome on my Note 5 and I'm on AT&T.. The stick browser was in the bottom docked row of icons

Sent from my Note 5

I'm glad you mentioned that. Let me correct myself: What I want to do is remove the "Apps" icon and replace it with something else. I don't have a need for that icon because I keep all of my apps in folders on the home screen.

From my Note 5

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad you mentioned that. Let me correct myself: What I want to do is remove the "Apps" icon and replace it with something else. I don't have a need for that icon because I keep all of my apps in folders on the home screen.

From my Note 5
Oohhh ok.. Yeah I'm not sure how to do that. Maybe someone else can chime in

Sent from my Note 5