Note 5 Apps to Delete and/or Disable right out of the box?

cre8tivspirit

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've made my decision and will be swapping my Lumia 830 for a Note 5 tomorrow, assuming my AT&T store has a 64GB in stock. This is my first Android phone so I'm not sure what is or isn't bloatware and other stuff that I can immediately get rid of. What apps would you delete or disable from your phone right out of the box?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
These come relatively clean this time around from Samsung, so AT&T bloatware would be what you could 'freeze' if you want. In my case, I disabled the ANT+ stuff since I have no need for those, and also the Briefing app (the Flipboard-powered feed) since I don't use TouchWiz as my launcher.

If you don't own a Gear or plan on getting one, you can disable Samsung Gear as well, and definitely Samsung +, which is mostly crap to showcase their products.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Can't I delete any of that stuff? Disabling still leaves the apps filling up storage space.

Nope, they are hard coded into the system. If they are not running they are at least not taking resources. As for storage, they ultimately don't take that much space.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Samsung only allows disabling these apps, not uninstalling completely. As mxrider says, if you root, you do get further access to those files and can delete them, but when doing so you have to be VERY careful not to delete anything that's essential to the phone. For instance, an user just recently deleted the stock Messaging app from a rooted phone thinking that if he wasn't using it, it shouldn't matter. Problem is the stock messaging app DOES contain essential files for messaging in general to work, so with that app gone, his phone is no longer able to send/receive texts, even when using a third party app, because the core system files were gone when he deleted the stock app.

cre8tivspirit

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'll wait on root access till I'm much more familiar with the phone and OS. Does disabling at lest hide the icons so I don't have to see them?

dkunzman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Anything AT&T that you do not want.
Anything ANT that you don't want.
Then as you feel more comfortable with the device, disable other items as you want.
When in doubt about an app; ask. Someone very likely can help.

Recommend you do not root unless you are very comfortable doing this kind of task. It is easy to mess up and just to handle these few apps not really warranted IMO.

In the end; enjoy your new device. :cool:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll wait on root access till I'm much more familiar with the phone and OS. Does disabling at lest hide the icons so I don't have to see them?

Yup, whatever you disable won't appear in your Play Store listing for update notifications or in your App Drawer (they go to a special DISABLED list in your App Manager, should you want to restore them).

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Then as you feel more comfortable with the device, disable other items as you want.

Recommend you do not root unless you are very comfortable doing this kind of task. It is easy to mess up and just to handle these few apps not really warranted IMO.

AT&T and Verizon can not be rooted. There is built in software that will not let a rooted phone boot up.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I kept the My ATT app for online bill pay and to see usage for all of us at the touch of a button. There's also a UVerse bill I pay and that app lets me log in once, but have access to both accounts and all devices.

Posted via the Android Central App

fultztodd79

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site

What are the ANT programs for?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress