Otterbox Defender - Anyone remove the screen protector yet?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone removed the stock screen protector from their Otterbox Defender for the Note 5 yet and used a tempered glass screen protector instead?

Is the phone loose inside the Defender with stock protector removed? :confused:

I've done it with past Defenders and thinking about trying it with the Note 5 Defender.

digdug11

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I did. Not loose at all. Looks a little funny though because my tempered glass screen protector doesnt go under the sides of the case.

ColoradoHiker

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
For those of you doing this, what tempered glass protector are you using? I only ask as the Otterbox customer service told me that it would not work with their Alpha Glass, it was too thick. Yes, a good close up photo would be helpful.

To be clear, Otterbox said "We don’t recommend adding the Alpha Glass to the Defender Series because the added thickness may cause issues with screen sensitivity. We have never tested the Defender Series with the Alpha Glass so I apologize that I am unable to provide you with concrete answers."

digdug11

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I am using the skinomi. With a little effort its halo free btw. Unfortunately my note five is my only camera. I like my otterbox but im currently using the ringke rebel. I like it maybe a little better less protection but much thinner

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Did it with the Note 4 and Galaxy S6 and did not have any problems at all. would like to get the Defender for the Note 5 and do the same.
This is my Note 4 with the Alpha Glass inside of the Defender.

DSC00125.jpgDSC00114.jpgDSC00116.jpg

digdug11

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Looks about the same. Im anal about my phones looks. I just cant get used to that tiny gap thats not covered on the sides. It does collect dust there.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I'm still undecided about tearing up another Defender case for the Note 5. Was hoping to get some thoughts and pictures from someone that already has done it.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've taken the plastic screen protector out of every Otterbox Defender that I've ever used. Just don't like the feel of them. I'll use them with no screen protector or a glass protector when I can. If your careful and work slowly, the plastic screen protector will come off undamaged and can be reapplied. Just push firmly along the edge from the outside inwards and it will come off with the sticky adhesive, sometimes that adhesive will remain on the case but as you work the plastic protector off just tap it back to the adhesive and lift again peeling it away with your fingers.

I currently have a Luvvitt glass on mine, I have another one I may try since this one has a slight halo in a couple of areas. With it and the Defender you end up with a small gap along the sides, bottom and around the home button. I expect that it would be similar with other brand glass protectors. It fits fine in the Defender. Luvvitt doesn't provide specs on thickness of their glass but it seems to be the same as others I've used and if I were to guess I'd say it's about .30mm, not the thickest I've ever used but not super thin either, just a normal glass protector.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I've taken the plastic screen protector out of every Otterbox Defender that I've ever used. Just don't like the feel of them. I'll use them with no screen protector or a glass protector when I can. If your careful and work slowly, the plastic screen protector will come off undamaged and can be reapplied. Just push firmly along the edge from the outside inwards and it will come off with the sticky adhesive, sometimes that adhesive will remain on the case but as you work the plastic protector off just tap it back to the adhesive and lift again peeling it away with your fingers.

I currently have a Luvvitt glass on mine, I have another one I may try since this one has a slight halo in a couple of areas. With it and the Defender you end up with a small gap along the sides, bottom and around the home button. I expect that it would be similar with other brand glass protectors. It fits fine in the Defender. Luvvitt doesn't provide specs on thickness of their glass but it seems to be the same as others I've used and if I were to guess I'd say it's about .30mm, not the thickest I've ever used but not super thin either, just a normal glass protector.

View attachment 197018
View attachment 197019
View attachment 197020

Thank you for the pictures. Any chance the Defender has caused your glass protector to raise up causing the halos?
After removing the phone have you noticed and damage or halos where the Defender covers the top of the glass?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
No the halo was there upon application of the glass. There's been no change caused by having it in the Defender and I've had the case on and off a couple of times since putting this glass protector on.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
No the halo was there upon application of the glass. There's been no change caused by having it in the Defender and I've had the case on and off a couple of times since putting this glass protector on.

Thank you. Is this a worthy combination for the Note 5 that you would recommend? I just worry as my S6 moved around inside of the Defender after removing the stock plastic protector and I went back to the Commuter.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I did to my Galaxy S5 and iPhone 6 with brilliant results. Just make sure you take your phone out and wipe around the screen sides once and awhile. It does collect a little dust after removal of the screen protector.

I prefer UAG cases on all of my phones. Once and awhile I'll swap to a Defender but not very often.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. Is this a worthy combination for the Note 5 that you would recommend? I just worry as my S6 moved around inside of the Defender after removing the stock plastic protector and I went back to the Commuter.

I like it and mine does not move inside the case at all. I had a iPhone 6 that moved inside the Defender case but that was not due to the lack of the plastic screen protector, it was the case tolerances. I added a small piece of foam inside the case between the top of the phone and the inside edge of the case, problem solved. But no issues with the Note 5 Defender.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Just got in the Defender and will give it a whirl. :p I was thinking about using an Xacto knife and try cut along the edge leaving the little piece inside the lip. :eek: I think this might be impossible and will just get the hair dryer out later tonight.

Frozen Corpse

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

castone001

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
got mine on day one as the Verizon store worker was putting the case on the rack. right there in the store I removed the screen protector. I had one on my Tab Pro and hated it. Put a ZXag Glass screen on it and no issues.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I removed it on mine. The sides due to no pressure from the built in protector flexes a tad if you pull on it but no big deal. I use ZAGG glass on mine and it is simply GREAT. I really like this Defender case without the protector. I will say the Galaxy s6 the Defender I had the built in protector was great and clear. I had a Note 4 case and it was garbage and didn't even get the chance to take the protector off it I just returned it. Otterbox quality is really hit or miss lately.

Might want to give the Poetic Revolution cases a try. Their built in protector on my S6 was wonderful and just as good as any glass.