Facebook Contacts sync not working

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
hey guys,

I think its a issue with FB mobile app. Im using HTC M9+, but i had the same issue. and i found the answer.

first is to uninstall facebook mobile app from the phone and download and install FB mobile app version 22.0.0.0.4.

once you installed and go to app setting you can find contact sync under option other's. tap on it and select sync all.

go to your phone account manager and add facebook and tick on sync.

your done. All the contact details and facebook profile pictures will get sync within no time.
Note:- Please disable FB mobile app auto updation, if not this will update your app to latest version which result this sync issue.

Thx

pr0xzen

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm on stock KitKat 4.4.2 for the S4 (GT-I9505). What worked for me was as per the post on page 7:

Stop Facebook app.
Clear all data
Uninstall
Download v29 from Facebook development/history page: developers.facebook.com/docs/android/downloads
Install
In-app Application settings: Syncronize contacts - Existing or All, whatever you prefer.

Works fine now - just staying away from updates. Most previous posts suggesting v27 and v29 working fine here - makes me wonder at what version this sync feature changed.

captainbdsc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I did a bit of experimenting.

I had this issue about a month or so ago. I was able to fix it, as noted, earlier in this thread, by uninstalling updates, disabling the app, installing v27, then let it re-update to the latest version of FB. It worked fine until about a week ago (last successful date noted in my accounts sync dialogue).

So I tried the same method again. Except this time when updating to the latest version it wiped out the option to sync contacts in the accounts settings.

Since I knew that the last successful sync was in early Nov. I tried updating to a slightly older, but closure to current, version of FB. It worked.

This last time fixing it I did the following:
Uninstall FB updates
Disable FB app
Clear data
Force stop (for fun)
Re-enable FB app
(On my Note 4 (android 5.1) the preinstalled ver is 16.0.0.x.x)
Start the FB app
Go to app settings in the app
Check sync all contacts.
Grant access to Galaxy to access FB (it was a popup notification)
Go to accounts, check that sync contacts is on.)
Go to contacts app, make sure FB contacts are showing.
Download and install ver 52.0.0.12.18. (I used UpToDown to get the older version, I chose this one because the next higher version failed to install and because based on the date of when it was all working.)
Check that in accounts sync contacts is still there and check your contacts to make sure FB contacts are still showing.

I am not sure what triggers the loss of syncing, since I lost it once in early Oct and again in mid Nov. Clearly there were updates to the app between that time frame.

For now I am just not going to update to the latest version.
I also sent an email to FB and left feedback on the app, etc. where I could to tell FB that I think they should keep the feature.

Posted via the Android Central App

djxpress

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Can you confirm that installing version 52 really works? FYI some of the newer versions of FB will show a "last synced" with date in the log screen, but if you watch when the program actually syncs, the process only takes a second and nothing really happens, so while you may think the sync works, nothing gets pulled from FB.

So far, I have confirmed version 27 does in fact actually sync contacts because I have added new contacts and synced, and seen the fb pictures pulled over.

PIRATAS01

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Maybe depends on the device and it's Google OS running....or maybe depends on the procedure he used.... But the fact is that sync is not working any more because Facebook and Google are not following the same privacy rules any more. I dunno if it's Facebook that it's not liked by Google or the opposite...the thing is that Facebook does not have that function any more...or that Google OS has something inside that blocks Facebook sync and it's option in the app settings...but I think it's the first thing.

Dunno if it can be replaced by something else, or if there's any app that syncs automatically as Facebook was doing....but using an old Facebook app that block it's updating, well... it's not my goal.

Do you know if there's an app that syncs manually as Facebook was doing?

Tnx.

captainbdsc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Can you confirm that installing version 52 really works? FYI some of the newer versions of FB will show a "last synced" with date in the log screen, but if you watch when the program actually syncs, the process only takes a second and nothing really happens, so while you may think the sync works, nothing gets pulled from FB.

So far, I have confirmed version 27 does in fact actually sync contacts because I have added new contacts and synced, and seen the fb pictures pulled over.

Hmmmm... you know maybe I cannot confirm it officially at at this time. But I do know that the contacts sync is there in the accounts management screens, but it is missing from the app settings... I can also see that certain contacts only exist in my Samsung contacts app because of a FB connection. I have seen these FB only contacts come and go as I have been trying to figure this out. I have seen them disappear completely and I have seen them show up, but the contacts app says I am connected via my phone xxx-xxx-xxxx... when I update to the latest Google Play released version the option in the accounts screens to sync FB contacts is gone, I only have the gallery and calendar options. I suppose I will wait awhile and see what happens as people start to change their profile pics back from the Support France overlay type profile pic.

Screenshot_2015-11-16-22-12-27.jpgScreenshot_2015-11-16-22-16-15.jpgScreenshot_2015-11-16-22-18-50.jpg

Last edited:

djxpress

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I believe those contacts that are only showing up with the FB icon were possibly pulled over prior to the update (on a working version of the app). Easiest way to test is to add a new connection on FB and see if they pull over with the updated app. I wish FB/Google would play nicely. All the reason to convince me to possibly switch to an iPhone

funkswing

May 8, 2012
Visit site
All the reason to convince me to possibly switch to an iPhone

The same problem exists on iPhones too. Sync.me is the most recommended fix for both iOS and Android. It will sync any of your existing phone contacts with their FB profile pic if it finds a match based on their first and last name.

cogic740

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
The Facebook calendar not syncing with samsung or Google calendar. I ended up adding an app (facebook calendar) syncs up fine now to both.

captainbdsc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I believe those contacts that are only showing up with the FB icon were possibly pulled over prior to the update (on a working version of the app). Easiest way to test is to add a new connection on FB and see if they pull over with the updated app. I wish FB/Google would play nicely. All the reason to convince me to possibly switch to an iPhone

When the app auto updated for me 2 different things have happened. (I have been tinkering with this for a while.) Either those FB icons change to a phone icon and it says connected via my phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx; Or the contacts disappear completely off my device.

captainbdsc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed something maddening. The app will auto update somehow without me saying so. I have the option in the Play Store app to NOT auto update.

This last time it took me from v27 to v51. I am not sure how this automagically happens... I did notice that it happened after I turned on WiFi. If Play Store updated it, why did it update to v51 when higher versions are available? However in the FB app settings it still shows the option to sync contacts.

I have a suspicion DT Ignite (T-Mobile's we will control you app) may have done this to me... I guess I will try going back to v27 and disable this DT Ignite and see what happens.

cjxsutton

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed something maddening. The app will auto update somehow without me saying so. I have the option in the Play Store app to NOT auto update.

This last time it took me from v27 to v51. I am not sure how this automagically happens... I did notice that it happened after I turned on WiFi. If Play Store updated it, why did it update to v51 when higher versions are available? However in the FB app settings it still shows the option to sync contacts.

I have a suspicion DT Ignite (T-Mobile's we will control you app) may have done this to me... I guess I will try going back to v27 and disable this DT Ignite and see what happens.

The same exact thing happened to me last night. I had uninstalled Facebook, unchecked the box in the play store for auto updating, installed v29 from apk, went through everything to get my existing contacts nicely synced up. Went to bed last night, woke up this morning with a notification that Facebook had updated. Checked the play store and the auto update box was still unchecked. And it still had an option to update again via play store. WTF. I also have T-Mobile. Let me know what you find please because this is getting redundant. I don't see why they can't just add the feature back in to the app or fix the way adding your Facebook account to Android (with or without app) behaves. I'm actually using the new LG V10, not a galaxy.

Last edited:

dswatson83

May 27, 2010
Visit site
It seems that Facebook has officially removed contacts sync. All options are removed in the latest update and a friend of mine contacted them and received the response that this functionality has been removed. It's not just us...looks like all devices may not have this in the future as people update. Not sure how the iPhone is affected.

captainbdsc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The same exact thing happened to me last night. I had uninstalled Facebook, unchecked the box in the play store for auto updating, installed v29 from apk, went through everything to get my existing contacts nicely synced up. Went to bed last night, woke up this morning with a notification that Facebook had updated. Checked the play store and the auto update box was still unchecked. And it still had an option to update again via play store. WTF. I also have T-Mobile. Let me know what you find please because this is getting redundant. I don't see why they can't just add the feature back in to the app or fix the way adding your Facebook account to Android (with or without app) behaves. I'm actually using the new LG V10, not a galaxy.

Even more weird is that after it auto-updated to v51 without my saying so it still showed the option to sync contacts in the FB app settings, but this morning that option has disappeared even though the app hasn't updated again.

captainbdsc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think I found out why it autoupdates. There are 2 apps to look out for
com.facebook.appmanager
com.facebook.system

Check out this forum
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=475324

Unlike some in the thread posts I was able uninstall updates and disable them.