Just bought an unlocked "international version" Note 5 on Amazon. Not received yet. Bought it mainly or even only because I really want a Samsung Gear VR.
    Then went to the Samsung site to see about ordering a Gear VR.
    There it says "Galaxy S6 edge+ and Galaxy Note 5 require a software update from your carrier."
    Thus the questions / worries:
    I'd rather not have any carrier for now. Is it possible to get that Note 5 software update from a source other than a carrier??
    If a carrier is required, which ones will for sure provide the update? is a carrier like Cricket Wireless unlikely to?
    As it is the unlocked "international version" Note 5, will that cause a problem in getting the necessary update from a carrier?
    Many thanks for any insights. Brian
    12-08-2015 02:13 AM
    You may wish to check this out Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Won’t Play Nicely With The Gear VR | Ubergizmo
    You can use Samsung Smart Switch on your PC to upgrade your firmware. It will check online for available updates
    12-08-2015 08:53 AM
    You may wish to check this out Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Won’t Play Nicely With The Gear VR | Ubergizmo
    You can use Samsung Smart Switch on your PC to upgrade your firmware. It will check online for available updates
    I have the Gear VR ($99 US edition) and it works fine with the Note 5. The article you posted is for the older version of the Gear VR that was for the Note 4.
    12-08-2015 01:32 PM