At&t recent 3/10 update kills wireless fast charge?

Kev_N

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

My first time posting but I have exhausted almost every option(aside from dreaded factory reset) to fix this. After the 'security & bug fixes' update via AT&T on March 10th, 2016, I noticed that my Official Samsung Wireless Fast Charger(Qi), stopped working. It will start fast charging for about 10 to 30 seconds and then say "charging paused" and never resume, left with the Qi charger blinking blue forever.

I called Samsung to no avail, they have never heard of this, but I'm almost certain it was the update, in fact it would be a HUGE coincidence if it wasn't. I use the wireless charger everyday, at work, at home etc... RIGHT AFTER the update is when this ensued.

I've tried most of the remedies people have posted, case off, case on, trying different distances between the phone and the charger by using paper in between them, tried the daydream Screensaver etc... Nothing is prompting the pause like most people would say it would be a notification would pause their charge, or the screen shutting off etc. I can leave the screen on and wait up to 30 seconds and it will pause.

Very frustrated at this point.

I would like to note that my girlfriend also has the same phone(Black Note 5 64GB AT&T), yet after the update her phone still works flawlessly fast charging.

But I've tried her Samsung wireless charging pad, same results, paused... So I'm almost certain it's not a physical issue but a software issue.

One last thing, I can plug the wireless charger into a slower adapter that doesn't support the amperage for fast charging and it WILL charge, just not fast charge, no pauses.

Can anyone help me out here? Or has anyone else experienced this? I mean, sure, wireless fast charging isn't the end of the world, but I did enjoy it and I'm paying a fortune for these Note 5 phones and accessories, I expect them to work correctly.

Should I factory reset? Or does anyone else know what I can look into?

The phone does fast charge when plugged into the wall with OEM charger and with my ANKER fast charging pack.

Sorry for the long thread, hope someone out there can help.

Thank you in advance,

- KevN

Posted via the Android Central App

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Disregard, I just read your post again. Try a cache wipe from recovery before you go the FDR route.

From my AT&T Platinum Gold Note 5

Kev_N

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Cache wipe warrants some changes it seems. Now it will let me fast charge until the screen shuts off, which is the common issue most people have, so I enabled the daydream feature, and it stays charging, I will need to let my phone drain far enough down to conclude that it is actually 'fast charging'.

I am almost certain the update caused this, because the very instant after the update, my wireless fast charging started pausing, as opposed to right before the update, and all the weeks before that, it has been working fine. (I use the fast charging pad quite often)

Since I have to enable the daydream feature to have a continuous wireless fast charge, does it defeat the purpose of fast charging? Seems a bit counterintuitive to have the screen on when I'm aiming to charge my battery quickly. I suppose the best method would be to turn brightness all the way down?

I have been reluctant to do a factory reset, but I may come around to it if this bugs me enough.

If anyone else has encountered this issue, please let me know.

Or if you just have any helpful advice, I welcome that too.

Thank you for your time,

- KevN

Posted via the Android Central App

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
KevN

I found your thread today while trying to fix the same problem with my S6Edge+, Verizon phone. I have posted a thread on the S6 Edge+ forum. I have done all of the possible fixes that you tried without a factory reset to no avail. I've also read on other forums that a reset does not fix the problem. We, on Verizon did not get the Nougat update until the end of
April and that is when I could no longer use the wireless chargers. I have two Samsung factory chargers that no longer work.
My phone will fast charge using the factory charger with wire to my phone. I've called Samsung and got the same reply, that we have not heard of that problem after the Nougat update, what a crock...Nougat broke the wireless, fast charging capability for my phone as well as others having the same problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa