S Pen button reversed

A

AC Question

Hey all,

Have a note 5, about a month old, amazing phone, love it. Last night the S Pen, which i have used with no issue for ages, started playing up.

It has started working when not touching the phone, and I have found that the side button is reversed. For example, when i write in S Note, I have to push the button to draw and if I release, it goes to eraser. This is the opposite of what is supposed to happen.

Has anyone come across this? Samsung support was close to useless, factory reset and wiped cache partition no help.

Reactions: akshat

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Do you know anyone that has a note 5, and try their spen? It could possibly be the phone as well. Alternatively, you can "try" this: Enter recovery mode, and wipe the cache partition, no data loss will occur.

Let us know.

Chris

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I would try another pen if possible (since this isn't a BT function, you should be able to use any pen nowadays, so you can probably go to a store and use theirs for a bit). If the problem persists with another pen, the problem is your Wacom digitizer on the phone itself (not gonna be easy/cheap to repair/replace). If the new pen works, then you know it's a pen hardware issue (and that's a lot cheaper to replace).

There is no software setting to my knowledge to invert the button behavior (but if there were, starting the phone in Safe Mode would not apply those, so you can try it out there as well).

Reactions: Laura Knotek

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried the basics? turning it off and on again, letting the pen completely drain and then reconnecting?
This is a Note 5, no battery on that one. The user with the Tab S8 perhaps, but the behavior they're experiencing doesn't have anything to do with the active BT functions and rather just the 'basic' S-Pen digitizer (i.e. passive circuit).

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
This is a Note 5, no battery on that one. The user with the Tab S8 perhaps, but the behavior they're experiencing doesn't have anything to do with the active BT functions and rather just the 'basic' S-Pen digitizer (i.e. passive circuit).
Yeah, funnily enough I was only addressing the person from a couple of hours ago and not the one from 7 years ago.

I was taught to get the simple stuff out of the way before moving on to other things. And my thinking was more about forcibly disconnecting and reconnecting the pen rather than just draining the battery, but I'll keep quiet from now on and let you sort it out

Last edited: