Exynos 8890 leads Snapdragon 820 in important categories

wonderbread

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Exynos is Samsung's own ARM fabrication SoC. So, why is it still sourcing from what must be a more expensive Qualcomm? I have no idea but these benchmarks suggest that Exynos is the more powerful choice in the categories that matter to most people (browsing and keeping apps in memory).

This first manual benchmarking of the two shows that the Exynos is about 10% faster in opening apps but is a wopping 33% faster in re-opening apps that should have been kept in memory but in the case of Snapdragon, they were not. Strange since both systems have the same amount of RAM.
Samsung Galaxy S7: Exynos 8890 vs. Snapdragon 820 speed test - GSMArena.com news

This other site with a set of benchmarks shows that in the categories where the Snapdragon bests the Exynos, it does so by no more than 10% (mostly on graphics) but with the browser focused benchmarks the Exynos is better by 33% (Vellamo browser) and nearly DOUBLE the performance in the javascript centric "Sunspider" benchmark.
Samsung Galaxy S7: Snapdragon 820 vs Exynos 8890 flavors compared

On this last site, which is the least damning, you'll still find that the categories in which the Snapdragon bests the Exynos, it does so by about 10% but the categories where the Exynos is the better performer (GeekBench 3 multi-core & Basemark ES 3.1 / Metal) it is better by 20%!
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_edge-review-1409p6.php

These were not cherry picked sites but rather the first three benchmarks I found after researching this. I spend a good deal of time browsing web news articles on my phone and switching rapidly between apps. Therefore, it is distressing to me that the Exynos, which performs up to 33% faster at these tasks, is not available to people in the US and especially not to people like me who are with a CDMA carrier. The Exynos must be cheaper for Samsung to produce than it is for them to purchase from Qualcomm so why restrict their largest markets (US, China, Japan) from using the cheaper, superior performing product?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Samsung does not want to vest in the hundreds of millions it would take to add fabrication plants. Samsung also makes chips for Apple and is not going to blow that kind of money and then a year from now Apple stops using Samsung (idle capacity is bad). It costs less total cost and looks much better for net present value (NPV) to farm out to Qualcomm. If Apple fires Samsung, Samsung would then use that capacity for their own chips. Then Qualcomm would be trouble.

PWav

May 1, 2010
Visit site
What about battery power usage. Is one SoC better (more efficient use of battery power) than the other?

Personally, because this phone should be super fast doing just about everything, I would not mind giving up 10% in speed/performance to get, say, 10% better battery life.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was because of USA's LTE bands and Sammy would have to invest in developing a new chip that supports it.

I didn't read that from a good source but it made sense when I read it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
That was part of the reason and would involve another plant. Samsung will happily farm out to avoid increasing capacity or dev costs.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, but they both seem SUPER fast to me. They are both flying around (in what is obviously not anyone's normal use of a phone either). The 8890 seemed faster by a bit, but I think I'd be picking nits if I found fault with either of these.

They both performed excellent IMO ..

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Samsung does not want to vest in the hundreds of millions it would take to add fabrication plants. Samsung also makes chips for Apple and is not going to blow that kind of money and then a year from now Apple stops using Samsung (idle capacity is bad). It costs less total cost and looks much better for net present value (NPV) to farm out to Qualcomm. If Apple fires Samsung, Samsung would then use that capacity for their own chips. Then Qualcomm would be trouble.
Fyi, Samsung fabricates the snapdragon 820 chip for qualcomm...

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
What about battery power usage. Is one SoC better (more efficient use of battery power) than the other?

Personally, because this phone should be super fast doing just about everything, I would not mind giving up 10% in speed/performance to get, say, 10% better battery life.

The exynos chip on the s7 actually had better battery life then the 820 variant. Mind you, my s7 edge with the 820 still has great battery life.

Samsung Galaxy S7 edge battery life (Exynos and Snapdragon) - GSMArena blog

Joe J1

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I have both and the exynos 8890 is far superior. Think of this.. The exynos has 4 big cores that have nearly identical single core scores while the snapdragon has only 2 of them.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Canada get exynos right? Just like our s7 edge has it. Unlocked international version they usually give us. But the phone locks as soon as a Sim is inserted!

posted via the lovely innovative Priv by BlackBerry - Powered by Android

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Canada get exynos right? Just like our s7 edge has it. Unlocked international version they usually give us. But the phone locks as soon as a Sim is inserted!

posted via the lovely innovative Priv by BlackBerry - Powered by Android
That's a carrier issue. Verizon is famous for selling 4GLTE phones factory sim unlocked, even while under contact or finance plan.