08-23-2016 07:18 AM
147 12345 ...
tools
    My comments have nothing to do with a removable battery vs. Water resistance. I've never had a problem with using a phone In the rain and none of them were labeled water resitant though two of them had sealed batteries. I can see needing a water resistant phone if you drop it in the in water or fall overboard on a boat or you hang out with people that push you into a pool. Anyway I really don't care...I just don't think rain is a good example. Perhaps if you are an emergency worker and don't have a two way radio or are stuck in the rain during an emergency. Its happened to me as a law enforcement officer when we were out of range to communicate to my headquarters by radio and phone was the only option. Police don't carry umbrellas so I've had to make do with using my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    And I get that but your instant response was to put away my phone .. As in not acknowledging any situation where it could be useful. Hence my responses. You then went on to even insults those people by saying they are "knuckle heads" and that "society is doomed" because we don't have your exact scenario all the time. Not very fair IMO.
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    08-07-2016 12:14 AM
    As I don't live in this "perfect" world many of you seem to. And as there are things called accidents that happen (to those of us normal humans in the real world that is, not to the infallible populace of perfect)
    And being one of the aforementioned regular saps, I have had a mishap or 2. So I with wide open arms, welcome water resistance..
    LegalAmerican and dsignori like this.
    08-07-2016 12:22 AM
    And many of us live in parts of the country where it doesn't just rain, it pours. So it is a very valid example, especially living in Florida.

If you put your phone away as soon as it rains, that's not what I mean. I mean having to make a phone call or make a text in a STORM.

08-07-2016 01:49 AM
    Water-resistance. I don't take my phones near water, but there are cases where accidents or unpredictable events happen. For instance, while out in vacation in Da Nang, which is in Vietnam, while filming the Dragon Bridge show with my a6000, the camera along with every phone out there got drenched by spraying water, which was part of the show itself. The amount of water wasn't high, but the camera got wet, still. While it still works perfectly fine, having a water-resistant phone would really help in that situation, especially for the confidence factor. Of course, let's not forget those instances where your phone is on the table but you accidentally spill your drink. Or when you're in the middle of a call outdoors and it suddenly rains without warning.

I used to really need a removable battery, but with more phones being able to last a day on my usage pattern, along with quick-charging for those heavy days, it's not really a "must-have" anymore for my usage pattern. Of course, some people do need a removable battery, and as such, they may want that instead of water-resistance, and that is fine. No one uses their phone in exactly the same way as another, and that's really the thing to consider.

Of course, if a phone that has a removable battery that lasts a full-day on my usage pattern with the ability to swap it out and/or quick-charge it for those heavier days AND has IP68 water and dust resistance, that would be great for everyone here. But for that, you would need a rugged monster like the Rugtel Tank X10, and as such, I would pick water-resistance over a removable battery, personally.

If the LG V20 comes with an IP68 rating, that MIL-STD-810G rating from the V10 and a removable battery, some folks here would be happy.
    08-07-2016 03:54 AM
    Portable juice packs have made removable batteries obsolete
    08-07-2016 06:47 AM
    So you have a phone in your hand.... Put it away.

Even if your phone is in your pocket when you get caught in a downpour, your pants get soaking wet and so does your phone and everything else in your pockets.
    Zip lock bags are great for keeping the things in your pocket dry.
    08-07-2016 07:12 AM
    I got the S5 over the S6 for these reasons. I think of failing batteries when this question is asked, not because the battery is discharged. Just had to change battery on wife's S3. I don't need the newest phone each year. So I like the S5. If it could be all in one package for this phone, why not the new ones? Keeps the masses getting new phones all the time. Money for the big corporations. But what do I know? Lol.
    I had a flip phone till last year ๐Ÿ˜‚
    08-07-2016 09:05 AM
    Some people here say they have never dropped their phones in water and yes, most people are responsible for their phones, but it can happen to even the most careful. I know because it happened to me several years ago. It was a complete accident and I was not being careless. It can happen to anyone.
    08-07-2016 11:00 AM
    Water resistance hands down. Now I don't have to worry about water rides when I'm at amusement parks ๐Ÿ˜‰

08-07-2016 11:06 AM
    Rain doesn't kill a phone

I see you've never been to the Midwest.

08-07-2016 11:41 AM
    Water resistance!!!!! Replaceable batteries will soon be a thing of the past like the beta max....
    08-07-2016 11:42 AM
    For me, it's easy. Removeable battery.

Never in twenty three years with mobile phones have I ever dropped it in any type of water, and I'm out in the elements a lot.

I carry my Note 5 in a leather belt holster and when it rains while running, so what! I just move my shirt over the holster case and sometimes I don't. Never any damage.

I'm not disagreeing because I love removable batteries. But I've never dropped my phone in water either, yet on the 4th of July this year at a parade, some sprinklers turned on and ruined 3 phones in my group. You can't plan for everything, so I like the 'insurance' that covers the unexpected. For me, that's IP68.

08-07-2016 11:43 AM
    I live in a western drought state. So I'll go with battery. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    08-07-2016 11:45 AM
    I see you've never been to the Midwest.

Where the rain can shift directions and speed with little to no warning. Thanks, Minnesota....
    08-07-2016 11:57 AM
    And I get that but your instant response was to put away my phone .. As in not acknowledging any situation where it could be useful. Hence my responses. You then went on to even insults those people by saying they are "knuckle heads" and that "society is doomed" because we don't have your exact scenario all the time. Not very fair IMO.
    Now you know you should have sense to come on out of the rain ๐Ÿ˜†
    08-07-2016 11:58 AM
    To get the thread back on track; I would pick water resistance.
    sydneycooper1979 likes this.
    08-07-2016 12:00 PM
    To get the thread back on track; I would pick water resistance.
    That would be my choice also. I've never had water damage but have had friends with it, without even getting it wet. It is very humid here and you can get water damage from that.
    08-07-2016 12:03 PM
    replaceable battery by a landslide. I just can't get used to pocket carrying a 6~10000 mah battery bank and USB cable and charging on the go. I also don't think micro USB is durable enough to withstand this kind of bending and wear over the long haul. I have never owned USB-C, so that may change things for the better. While I can very comfortably carry a couple batteries in my wallet in a zip lock bag. In 2-3 minutes I can do a field swap for an instantaneous full 100%.

I can achieve sufficient water resistance with an otterbox and a dry-sack case. As a boy scout outing volunteer, I am actively out in the rain 1-2 weekends a month in the winter with a bunch of teenage guys who are always on the go. So in a HEAVY downpour and I need to film, I need to take out the gopro+dive case. So my phone might not be submersible, and its definitely not operational in a dry-sack case but its more than enough to withstand heavy rain and anything I care to splash at my phone.

Sadly for me, replace-able batteries are a thing of the past and at some point very soon I am going to lose the option all together. At that point I am left with no choice but a fixed battery, and in that scenario I would absolutely chose a phone with water resistance... S7 Active would be my choice.
    Kirk Maluo likes this.
    08-07-2016 12:03 PM
    I prefer water resistance, honestly. I've dealt with the S5 and its removable battery and I noticed no difference to how I use my batter on the S7edge. I did have an extra one to swap with my S5, however, it got annoying to have to take my case off, take the back piece off, take that battery out and replace it with the new, put the back piece and case back on and have to recharge the other battery, so after a while, I just ended up buying an external battery pack and used that instead which is exactly what I'm doing with my S7edge. Nowadays, having a removable battery is more "old school" than something that new technology should have. Every form of technology has built in batteries now; laptops, tablets, phones, etc. Times are different. Now, working with phones for a living, whenever I test a phone that has a removable battery, it just seems so ... old. I also like how they have improved the water resistance technology coming from the S5 since the charging port cover got really annoying having to take out every time I needed to charge my phone that I ended up breaking it off lol So, having lived with devices with built in batteries for the past few years, I am fairly used to handling it better than I did when I had devices that had removable batteries. Plus, the phones look so much better and sleeker with the new material than with the crappy plastic they had to use in the past. Technology is improving as time goes and I like it.
    08-07-2016 12:07 PM
    Battery FTW, but they are using that as excuse. Sealed batteries are to force devices overall into a two year retirement model.
    Im sure that has a lot to do with it. Nothing is built to last anymore like is was when I was a kid in the sixties. A lot of people don't keep their phones more than two years, including myself. Ive never had to replace a battery in a smart phone.
    I still have old phones that I use that have no battery problems.
    I use a 1st gen Moto G for my alarm clock and it will stay charged for a month at a time.
    I have a Droid RAZR that I that I take to work and it has no battery problems.
    I consider myself a light user so I sure that makes a difference.
    If someone is a heavy user and has to recharge more than once in 24 hours, I'm sure they will put more stress on their battery and may need to replace it sometime during the life of the phone. You can replace batteries in phones that don't have removable batteries but you would have decide if it's cost effective or not.
    08-07-2016 12:08 PM
    Also I feel the need to express this aspect....

Water resistance as well as "premium" construction is marketing smoke and mirrors for the truth. The truth is, a fixed battery of any type represents forced obsolesence by the carrier and manufacturers. They have cleverly disguised planned obsolesence by using words like "Premium Handset", and "IPX water submersion", since no battery will sustain its original capacity beyond ~2 years.

The reality is though we should not have to make a choice one way or the other... There is no reason manufacturers and carriers can not give us BOTH water resistance and a replace-able battery. Look at water submersible point and shoot cameras. All it takes is a trap door and gasket seal to achieve BOTH water resistance and removable batteries.
    Kirk Maluo and Jims S5 like this.
    08-07-2016 12:44 PM
    Last week I was on vacation along the New Jersey shore. We were walking down the beach in the surf, and I saw a girl with an iPhone out in the water taking selfies. Just as I commented on how dumb it was to have such an expensive device out there....yup, she dropped it. Waist deep of ocean water on an iPhone. She didn't just pick it up she had to go down into the waves to get it. It's toast.

Do I think that waterproofing is necessary... no, can I be careful...yep, sure... but I certainly will appreciate the extra protection.
    dsignori likes this.
    08-07-2016 12:59 PM
    Also I feel the need to express this aspect....

Water resistance as well as "premium" construction is marketing smoke and mirrors for the truth. The truth is, a fixed battery of any type represents forced obsolesence by the carrier and manufacturers. They have cleverly disguised planned obsolesence by using words like "Premium Handset", and "IPX water submersion", since no battery will sustain its original capacity beyond ~2 years.

The reality is though we should not have to make a choice one way or the other... There is no reason manufacturers and carriers can not give us BOTH water resistance and a replace-able battery. Look at water submersible point and shoot cameras. All it takes is a trap door and gasket seal to achieve BOTH water resistance and removable batteries.
    Yes... this obsolescence is one reason I chose removeable battery.

I've got TWO external quick charge batteries and fast charge car charger as, we'll as home office fast charging. All this is great.

However... Battery degradation, which I've posted a lot about, IS the issue for me and why I like to swap out batteries when they get weaker and keep the older as spares.

I can afford new phones if I want but at a THOUSAND dollars a piece Inc accessories and taxes, that's a LOT of cash for a phone.

If many folks live in areas where it's drenching humid and wet, so be it... get your water resistant phone.

I too cannot understand why the Samsung cannot make removeable battery and water resistant.

Sammy is marketing Smart. They want people to update EVERY YEAR. That's too much in my book.

Kirk Maluo and jim2112 like this.
    08-07-2016 01:03 PM
    Yes... this obsolescence is one reason I chose removeable battery.

I've got TWO external quick charge batteries and fast charge car charger as, we'll as home office fast charging. All this is great.

However... Battery degradation, which I've posted a lot about, IS the issue for me and why I like to swap out batteries when they get weaker and keep the older as spares.

I can afford new phones if I want but at a THOUSAND dollars a piece Inc accessories and taxes, that's a LOT of cash for a phone.

If many folks live in areas where it's drenching humid and wet, so be it... get your water resistant phone.

I too cannot understand why the Samsung cannot make removeable battery and water resistant.

Sammy is marketing Smart. They want people to update EVERY YEAR. That's too much in my book.

The non-removable battery isn't about being water resistant. The S5 was water resistant.
    08-07-2016 01:07 PM
    Portable juice packs have made removable batteries obsolete
    Lol, I guess you've never truly experienced the joys of swappable batteries. Battery packs are cumbersome and nowhere near as convenient.
    08-07-2016 01:08 PM
147 12345 ...