Which would you prefer? Water resistant or replaceable battery?

Zello_Police

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Does the water resistance include salt water? Try taking a wiz over board while talking on the phone and dropping it in the water.
One went to the bottom of the ocean, but the other one that was salvaged the charge port rusted to hell.

avivzan

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's a tough question since it's not really the only compromise you getting when having a waterproof phone right?!
In a prefect world where your phone never have the need of repair it's great but we don't really live in the times yet and waterproof phone means much more expensive repairs, it's means no more self repairs (if you considered doing those) and it's means you cannot really be sure your phone is still waterproof after you fixed it, so when I'm taking all of this in to a count I think I prefer the replaceable battery

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Seems like it comes down to this: those of us who keep phone for several years prefer easily replaceable battery. Those who get a new phone every year don't really need to change batteries. As I've said - I don't care - I just want a big battery. Like the new G5 has a replaceable battery but it's just too small. Forget it. I don't want to feel forced to add a giant modular battery. A bigger built in high quality battery is better for me. I hope Sammy doesn't jump in on the modular add on fad.

keno101

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Stays with this hard on for remove able batteries? Isn't there a case that's water resistant and has an extra battery attached? What more do you need?

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Most definitely water resistant. Not being able to swap batteries on the go is a minor issue for me. Unless it's a defective phone/battery, then you should expect 12 months of top battery performance, with a slow decline over the next 6 mo...give or take.

Worst case scenario I think is that you may need to spend $20 on a portable battery pack. They aren't really any bigger than the internal battery on your phone, so it's not adding any bulk to your pockets. Only downside to them is if you're using them while on the go, then your phone needs to stay tethered to the external battery pack.

We didn't even get a cordless phone in my house until I was in my teens. I'm sure I'll be able to survive if I ever need to tether my phone for an hour to charge it.

BearlyFloats

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Water resistance.

However, I know a gentleman that uses ~30GB/mo. with his Note 4 as a hotspot. Because of that he chews through batteries at a rapid pace. Not a big deal, he simply orders a new one online and keeps on going. As of late his smartphone choices have been limited to LG products despite his preference of the Samsung handsets. So, I can see why some may want that removable battery.

Josiah23

Q&A Team
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Replaceable battery, I'm not too worried about water resistance, every non water resistant phone I've ever had, nothing would happen to it if I have it out while raining or put it in a sink full of water... I purposely tried to break a Samsung Galaxy S4 (not active version) by drowning it in water with back cover removed and it still worked like nothing happened. I was disappointed. (This was one of my very old phone)

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I'll take the battery. Water damage was never an issue, but batteries have always been. I have a Note 4 which had a battery that was going bad.

I bought a new one and it practically breathed new life into my phone. I didn't have to charge it all weekend!

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-15-02-06-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-08-15-02-06-29.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 55

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
It don't matter what you prefer.
Samsung people said they are not going to make the replaceable batteries any more.
And they are talking about making the semi edge models like the note 7 only.
I understand they don't care what people in the U.S. think about their design.

That is sad. Well, I imagine they would care if the sales would decrease. But they probably wont, and that just means that people accept whatever they are offered...

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I'll take the battery. Water damage was never an issue, but batteries have always been. I have a Note 4 which had a battery that was going bad.

I bought a new one and it practically breathed new life into my phone. I didn't have to charge it all weekend!

Posted via the Android Central App

+1. That's exactly how I feel.

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
It's a tough question since it's not really the only compromise you getting when having a waterproof phone right?!
In a prefect world where your phone never have the need of repair it's great but we don't really live in the times yet and waterproof phone means much more expensive repairs, it's means no more self repairs (if you considered doing those) and it's means you cannot really be sure your phone is still waterproof after you fixed it, so when I'm taking all of this in to a count I think I prefer the replaceable battery

Good point.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
That is sad. Well, I imagine they would care if the sales would decrease. But they probably wont, and that just means that people accept whatever they are offered...

Or... It means very, very few people care about those things enough for Samsung to now include them.

eeyore6802

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Battery all the way by far. I have a note 4 right now and 2 extra batteries. I'm a pretty heavy user so it's a HUGE help especially if your at and not necessarily near a power source. I'm dying to upgrade and the note 7 looks awesome, but I'm just not sure if I should with being so used to the spare battery. Really sucks, just don't know if I'm willing to take the chance.

novice

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Replaceablea battery. Not even close. In last 2 weeks toyed with going back to the Note 4. It's indestructible. Tomarrow I'm purchasing the Note 7--only because I found the Note 5 to be boring and unlovable.

Without the S pen I would be done with Samsung. All they currently do is eliminate features I depend on. Screw 'em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress