10-15-2016 10:11 AM
28 12
tools
    How to do i set google voice typing instead samsung voice in text?

I can manually switch it to google voice typing in the middle of the text, but the setting wont stay. It will default back to samsung voice next text.

anyone else having this issue?
    traceytaylor likes this.
    08-20-2016 07:37 AM

I can manually switch it to google voice typing in the middle of the text, but the setting wont stay. It will default back to samsung voice next text.

Yes I've been trying to figure it out on my note 7 And keeps going back to Samsung voice input. It's driving me nuts cause it's horrible. I want to set it as default and i did but it won't stay. I have to switch to it while texting them it goes back to Samsung voice typing
    traceytaylor likes this.
    08-21-2016 01:09 AM
    It was driving me nuts too. I ended up switching to the Google keyboard and it has been on Google ever since thank God. The Samsung S Voice one is awful in their default keyboard.
    08-21-2016 01:28 AM

Settings, general management, language and input, default keyboard, setup input methods. In there you can disable the Samsung voice input method and it'll default to Google. Also jump back to the language and input menu and scroll down to Text-to-Speech and select Google in there.
    08-21-2016 04:45 AM
    08-22-2016 04:30 PM
    The samsung voice to text went to hell. It used to be better.
    08-22-2016 04:41 PM
    Settings, general management, language and input, default keyboard, setup input methods. In there you can disable the Samsung voice input method and it'll default to Google. Also jump back to the language and input menu and scroll down to Text-to-Speech and select Google in there.
    I can't disable samsung voice. It's there and I can't do anything with it.
    08-22-2016 07:26 PM
    If i turn off Samsung voice input the microphone won't even turn on. Samsung voice is terrible.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Savoy likes this.
    08-22-2016 08:18 PM
    I would just switch to the Google keyboard but I do not like it.
    08-23-2016 08:30 AM
    If i turn off Samsung voice input the microphone won't even turn on. Samsung voice is terrible.

The last step is what you need. You have to select Google as your text-to-speech provider.

Samsung's is as "good" as Apple's Siri - which is awful. LOL!!
    skatergirl likes this.
    08-23-2016 08:36 AM
    Edit: I see how to disable it now. the "setup input methods" is what i missed. Even so, after disabling it, nothing comes up with the microphone button using the Samsung keyboard. I have Google Voice typing set up fine, but it won't work on the Samsung Keyboard.

The last step is what you need. You have to select Google as your text-to-speech provider.

"Text to Speech" is reading your texts, that is not relevant here. Speech-to-text, "Voice input" or Dictation, is what folks are looking for here. I can';t figure this out either
    skatergirl likes this.
    08-23-2016 08:47 AM

Ok after reading this thread again I was in the wrong place, but found where to turn it off and I'm now experiencing what you are...it just doesn't work at all.

Add this to the non functional autocorrect Samsung keyboard...I'm getting rather annoyed. Autocorrect works somewhat, but not how it should. When I type on my Galaxy S7 stuff corrects when I hit the space key but it won't do it on the Note. And why on earth do I even have a Samsung account at all when I have to recreate my shortcut words every.single.time I change devices or reset? Shouldn't they sync????

Anyway, I can't get Google voice input to work either.
    08-23-2016 09:24 AM

"Text to Speech" is reading your texts, that is not relevant here. Speech-to-text, "Voice input" or Dictation, is what folks are looking for here. I can';t figure this out either
    That may be, but all I know is that when I changed that Text to Speech to Google's, my voice input was a heck of a lot better than before.

But YMMV.
    dsignori likes this.
    08-23-2016 09:39 AM

I disagree I think that Siri is actually quite good.
    08-23-2016 09:48 AM
    I disagree I think that Siri is actually quite good.
    No compared to Google Voice it's not. When I switch to my iPhone, I don't even bother to use Siri but to set reminders. It's inadequate, IMO, for anything else.
    08-23-2016 09:55 AM
    I ended up switching to swiftkey keyboard. Google voice is integrated and works perfectly.

I actually liked the default samsung keyboard, but i need google voice. Hopefully they update it and let you switch it up.
    dsignori likes this.
    08-23-2016 10:05 AM
    I ended up switching to swiftkey keyboard. Google voice is integrated and works perfectly.

I actually liked the default samsung keyboard, but i need google voice. Hopefully they update it and let you switch it up.
    I love Swiftkey, it's fantastic. I do like the Samsung keyboard too, and I also would like to get that Google Voice input, but I can't get it going, even following what all the folks have done here. I'll end up back on Swiftkey as well.
    08-23-2016 10:43 AM

I did do the final step and tried it again this morning. Still not working. Once I turn off Samsung Voice Input I can no longer use the speaker.
    08-23-2016 10:55 AM
    I did do the final step and tried it again this morning. Still not working. Once I turn off Samsung Voice Input I can no longer use the speaker.
    I did not turn off Samsung Voice Input, however. That seems to turn off voice input period. Turn it back on.
    08-23-2016 12:58 PM
    Well i was just trying to do this at lunch today, this is my first Android phone, i was wanting to send a text (using the verizon messgae app) and for the life of me i could not find a way to do Speach to text.
    08-23-2016 02:11 PM
    I love Swiftkey, it's fantastic. I do like the Samsung keyboard too, and I also would like to get that Google Voice input, but I can't get it going, even following what all the folks have done here. I'll end up back on Swiftkey as well.
    I had this issue too. And although I like SwiftKey, Samsung's keyboard is still better (it essentially uses Swype). But, like others, I think Samsung's Voice Input is terrible compared to Google's. So, I dug a bit deeper. It turns out Samsung disabled Google Voice Input. So, if you set the Samsung kb as the default, Google Voice Input will NOT be available. Your only choices are to use Samsung's Voice Input or to disable voice input altogether (as others have found).

If anyone can find a way around this that still allows the use of the Samsung keyboard, that would be great.

Note to Apple posters - We don't need to debate Siri (or any other Apple product) here. None of us are going to install Siri on our Note 7's (if for no other reason, because we can't). This is a product specific issue on a product specific forum.
    08-25-2016 04:51 PM
    I had this issue too. And although I like SwiftKey, Samsung's keyboard is still better (it essentially uses Swype). But, like others, I think Samsung's Voice Input is terrible compared to Google's. So, I dug a bit deeper. It turns out Samsung disabled Google Voice Input. So, if you set the Samsung kb as the default, Google Voice Input will NOT be available. Your only choices are to use Samsung's Voice Input or to disable voice input altogether (as others have found).

If anyone can find a way around this that still allows the use of the Samsung keyboard, that would be great.

Note to Apple posters - We don't need to debate Siri (or any other Apple product) here. None of us are going to install Siri on our Note 7's (if for no other reason, because we can't). This is a product specific issue on a product specific forum.
    Ha! I had placebo effect!

That does it. I'm replacing the stock keyboard. I love Google Voice Input. It's the best.
    08-25-2016 05:15 PM
    Hell, yes. And I prefer the Samsung keyboard with the dedicated numerals row. But I despise the Samsung S-voice, and if you disable it, there's no Google Voice input supported. Sux.
    08-26-2016 02:14 PM
    Hell, yes. And I prefer the Samsung keyboard with the dedicated numerals row. But I despise the Samsung S-voice, and if you disable it, there's no Google Voice input supported. Sux.
    Another option is to download Google Keyboard from the Play Store. Then you can make that your default keyboard. It gave me Google voice typing on my Note 7.
    08-29-2016 09:44 PM
    Another option is to download Google Keyboard from the Play Store. Then you can make that your default keyboard. It gave me Google voice typing on my Note 7.
    08-30-2016 05:40 AM
28 12