3rd Party Launcher like Nova Prime?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Nova is probably the most popular, but there's many others. If you don't mind spending the money, give Next 3D a look if you want something unique (admittedly it is probably the most expensive at US$16). Full 3D effects for most everything and runs smooth on any flagship phone.

My basic home screen
1472065513112.jpg

With a single finger swipe up or down, I can access the app drawer (shown mid swipe between drawer screens).
1472065636475.jpg

If I need my dock for some reason, which is rare through a mix of gesture controls and the G4's Qslide options, it's a two finger up or down swipe.
1472065718835.jpg

Loads of customization with different themes and icon packs as well. The cost does sting a little, but I bought it with my Google Rewards credits and nothing out of pocket.

Attachments

• 1472065577908.jpg
    1472065577908.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 37

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Very good observation, no I am not using the stock calendar app.

I am using " today calendar widget " Cause it is the only app that will show the current date for today

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160824/83f88289b10b0cd17fda54a3a915a292.jpg

I've been using Nova Prime for years, and the date has always been the current date (Notes 3, 4, 5, 10.1 & 12.2), but for some reason it's a static 31 with the Note 7. Gonna try to write to the developer, but thanks for that option if it's not resolvable.

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Nova Prime for years, and the date has always been the current date (Notes 3, 4, 5, 10.1 & 12.2), but for some reason it's a static 31 with the Note 7. Gonna try to write to the developer, but thanks for that option if it's not resolvable.
Really? I was never able to get the current date on the stock calendar app while using Nova, i always used Todays Calendar. 😮

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How?

Posted via the Android Central App
A launcher controls the home screen, app drawer, and sometimes some widgets(some launchers can have specific widgets like Nova does).

Samsung allows you to change the launcher (home screen) in the settings - applications - default applications - home screens menu

The touchwiz launcher can be disabled using package disabler pro or similar. But don't disable it unless you have a third party launcher installed or it can mess up your phone.

uploadfromtaptalk1472068475637.jpguploadfromtaptalk1472068482095.jpg

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Really? I was never able to get the current date on the stock calendar app while using Nova, i always used Todays Calendar. ??????
The pic is of almost the same layout (working on it, lol!) on my Note 5 & 7, using Nova Prime and the Axis icon pack. Just got this reply from the developer (guess I'll be installing "Today Calendar Widget"):

"I believe this is because Samsung has removed the code for that to update with their own themes/icons when using 3rd party launchers."

Ugh, really wish Samsung would get the heck off the Apple bandwagon. (This whole dumbing down of the Note's actual NOTE features is really pissing me off. Now trying to take away Android customizations. WTH?)

c856be53f78b7fa6de9ac4225278fa4a.jpg

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
The pic is of almost the same layout (working on it, lol!) on my Note 5 & 7, using Nova Prime and the Axis icon pack. Just got this reply from the developer (guess I'll be installing "Today Calendar Widget"):

"I believe this is because Samsung has removed the code for that to update with their own themes/icons when using 3rd party launchers."

Ugh, really wish Samsung would get the heck off the Apple bandwagon. (This whole dumbing down of the Note's actual NOTE features is really pissing me off. Now trying to take away Android customizations. WTH?)

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160824/c856be53f78b7fa6de9ac4225278fa4a.jpg
I know its crazy lol

jaguarxt

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Nova Launcher actually speeds the Note 7.

Launchers are Graphical User Interface. Basically the interface that the user interacts with the OS. Much like Linux desktop GUI (KDE Plasma, Gnome, Cinnamon (like in Mint Linux), etc.) Nova Launcher will show much more faster and smoother performance than TouchWiz UX. Enough to be very noticeable by the average user.
You also get a better experience by adding back what Samsung took out like easy accessible to Live wallpapers, ability to see all your icons in landscape mode, etc.

Lastly. Customize your device. Have fun, be creative, make the device easier for your work flow, personalize to your personality, etc... Enjoy!

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
I have noticed with Nova Launcher the live calendar date on the icons depends on the icon pack. Some will stay static and some will change.
Also with Nova you can add widgets to the dock.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed with Nova Launcher the live calendar date on the icons depends on the icon pack. Some will stay static and some will change.
Also with Nova you can add widgets to the dock.
I gave up and installed the google calendar app. That let's the icon show the current date.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Third party launchers are great! They completely transform your device. Everything from your icon layout to home screen layout, and even device unlocking, can be changed and customized to your liking. And different launchers focus on different things; so you can "shop around" and find the one that best suits your needs.

I've switched from a few different launchers on my Android devices over the years, and though they're interesting, I find that they do take some getting used to (at least, for me). They're super fun, though! Happy browsing!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non