Fast Charging suddenly stopped working

Lazurea

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
For the first week of ownership, the phone charged quickly and easily to 100% and it would say it was 'fast charging'. Suddenly yesterday, when I had it hooked up to an external battery source for Pokemon Go, it got to where it was losing charge faster than it could gain it from the power source. When I plug it into my home charger (using the official cable/plug), it won't fast charge anymore like it used to. In fact, even with all apps closed and phone asleep, it charges extremely slowly. I have rebooted the phone twice and tried different wall outlets. Nothing is working. It is charging absurdly slow, not even as fast as it would normally without 'fast charging'.

Did the power bank somehow permanently damage my battery already?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I saw this issue pop up on the Note 5 and I had this issue myself.

First I would go by Best Buy or your carrier and let them test a different fast charger on your phone.

If that works use your phone Samsung Plus app and do the video call. You do not have to turn your camera on. This gets you to one special department.

If the new charger works, you need to set up for a charger exchange. If you only have one charger you can try to push for them to send your charger first and your return your old one. Now if your carrier will give you a new charger and exchange that one, great.

If a new charger doesn't work, you are still in the 14 days, I would take everything back and exchange my phone for a new one.

Lazurea

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
I've tried 3 different cables. I had ordered several for different uses. Aside from the official cable that came with the phone, I have a 6 foot one I use by a nightstand and a 3 foot one I use with the external power bank. I feel like something went wrong when it was plugged into the power bank yesterday, and now it's not acting like it should.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
One more thing, on the Note 5 on the battery app there is a place to turn on Fast Charging. Make sure you didn't accidentally turn that off.. I'm assuming that option is there on the Note 7.

If it is the charger, it might not be the cable, but the charging block. Samsung has also had issues with charging blocks that stop fast charging. That's why you need to try an entire new Samsung charger and cord.

Lazurea

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
I've tried other power sources all over, nothing is working. I even turned the phone off, it was at 70%. While plugged in, I booted the phone back up.. it went down to 69%, while plugged in. The charging is so slow that simply booting up the phone drains it faster than it can maintain a charge. I think the power bank broke my phone :(

Lazurea

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
I only have the one that came with the note 7 (it's a week old).

However, it is no longer achieving fast charge from other sources it used to fast charge from (including the power bank's fast charge port, which was working fine until yesterday). It's acting like this across the board on any and all combinations of cable and power source.

That's why I feel like the phone itself is broken.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That is why I was saying go try it at Best Buy Samsung counter or maybe your carrier.

I've had non-Samsung cords not fast charge or fast charge for a while and then stop on my Note 5.

I would check the charger by trying another Samsung Charger. If it is still a problem, return the phone.

Like I said, there was an issue with fast charging stopping with some Note 5's. I had several Samsung fast chargers and none would work on my Note 5 but all worked on my Note 4.

If it isn't fast charging with a different Samsung charger and cord, I would exchange the phone for a new one. You are on the time to do that.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Kelly.

Head over to Best Buy and ask to test your phone on another fast-charger. If the phone refuses to kick into fast-charging mode, send it back for a replacement.

BTW, this is silly, but have you done a factory reset?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a Note 5 not the 7. One thing I never did was plug in the stock Samsung cord and brick. I used an Asus quick charge brick and an LG G4 cable. Never had an issue, even when I charged from an external battery. Have you tried changing the fast charging toggle off then on?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I just looked in battery settings advanced and MY rapid charging toggle was off. I never noticed it charging slowly. My point is it could have happened to OP and I can confirm the setting is present in Note 7 so at least try toggling it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I just looked in battery settings advanced and MY rapid charging toggle was off. I never noticed it charging slowly. My point is it could have happened to OP and I can confirm the setting is present in Note 7 so at least try toggling it.

Yes I would definitely check that first.

Lazurea

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
I downloaded an app called ampere, and it is measuring (going up and down between):
* Not Plugged In at all: -420 mA
* Official Samsung Wall Plug/Cable: 90-1030 mA (It started at 1030, but a second or two later it dropped between 90-200 and stayed down there)
* Imazing Power Bank QC 3.0 Port: 60-210 mA
* Anker Power Bank IQ Port: 110-220 mA (doesn't have a QC port but it is slightly better than the Imazing??)
* Desktop PC USB 3.0 Port: 120-220 mA (shouldn't this be SLOWER than other sources?)
* Surge Protector USB Port (Samsung Cable): 50-210 mA
* Surge Protector USB Port (Imazing's Short Charge Cable): 170-220 mA

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I wouldn't reset is because of the experience myself and a few others had with the Note 5. I did a reset the first time and it was fine, it came back and I was out of the time to exchange for a new phone. Mine was likely new, it was manufactured the first of September, but I wish I had been in that time to exchange for a new phone, because later my charger also went bad.

Lazurea

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
I booted into recovery, wiped the cache partition, and rebooted. Ampere was reporting a solid 1100-1400 for about a minute, then dropped down to 90-210 mA range and dropped % as well. The power bank has totally ruined my phone. I'm so angry, I just GOT this phone and it's an expensive one that is supposed to be one of the best.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I booted into recovery, wiped the cache partition, and rebooted. Ampere was reporting a solid 1100-1400 for about a minute, then dropped down to 90-210 mA range and dropped % as well. The power bank has totally ruined my phone. I'm so angry, I just GOT this phone and it's an expensive one that is supposed to be one of the best.

Is your fast charging toggle off?

Lazurea

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
It's on, it's been on. I even turned it off and back on. No good. I'm not even charging at standard rates, let alone fast rates. I'm charging from -every source- as if I'm plugged into a PC. Extremely slow. I can't even get a positive charge vs the phone simply being on with no apps running.

with a maximum of 220 mA (which it rarely is reaching according to ampere), charging this phone would require me to turn it off to charge it and it would still be very slow. I took a flashlight to the charging port, there's no bent pins or any sign of damage. What could have happened? I still think the power bank somehow did something to my charging port.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's on, it's been on. I even turned it off and back on. No good. I'm not even charging at standard rates, let alone fast rates. I'm charging from -every source- as if I'm plugged into a PC. Extremely slow. I can't even get a positive charge vs the phone simply being on with no apps running.

with a maximum of 220 mA (which it rarely is reaching according to ampere), charging this phone would require me to turn it off to charge it and it would still be very slow. I took a flashlight to the charging port, there's no bent pins or any sign of damage. What could have happened? I still think the power bank somehow did something to my charging port.

I think at this point you should consult Samsung for your next step. I am honestly out of ideas.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I would still go test it on a new Samsung charger and then if it didn't work, go exchange my phone for a new one and be done with it.

If you get out of the 14 day return window, then you are looking at a warranty exchange or shipping it off to Samsung.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non