Best Keyboard?

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I've stuck with Samsung's so far. After 12 days it's finally getting a little better. I remember when I first switched to Google's keyboard on my last phone it took about a month for it to get good for me. I think the Samsung will learn your typing style eventually, but patience is key.

I may try SwiftKey again though because I like the idea of the cursor arrows. They didn't have that years ago when I used it. The thing I miss most about my iPhone kb is being able to use 3D Touch as a cursor on the entire keyboard.

The issue I had with the Samsung keyboard is that it was not substituting the words when I hit space bar. It just left too many incorrect spellings. Most of the time the prediction was there, it just did not pop it in like it should.

I moved over to Swift Key neural, which has an even better prediction engine than the one in SK and SK beta.

r_albu

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm using Google Keyboard right now. It has some tricks that add functionality: swipe over space key for moving the cursor, deleting entire and multiple words at a time, themes...

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No one mentioned TouchPal. I keep trying other keyboards and coming back to it. Prediction is strong, swipe is light years better than Swiftkey, you can swipe for secondary characters which makes it quicker than all the others, and there's tons of free themes.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Google Keyboard has some options you can tweak in the preferences, I don't like the standard vanilla flavor version that pops up when you install it. Swift Key works great as well. I tend to use Google Keyboard though.

left4dead

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
On the stock Samsung keyboard the swipe/ gliding function is not working when typing in a Google or Yahoo search box.

Is this normal?

ecfritts

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I was going to try Google Keyboard, then I saw the permissions. It said something to the effect of "...it won't remember passwords, but maybe credit card numbers" Did this bother anyone else? I am kind of new to Android, so this kind of freaked me out. Anyone have any advice on this? Thanks

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
+1 for Switkey also.

Having said that, and being a BB user up until switching from the Blackberry Z30 to the LG G4 a few years ago, the BB keyboard is excellent. I can't stand the stock Samsung keyboard.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I was going to try Google Keyboard, then I saw the permissions. It said something to the effect of "...it won't remember passwords, but maybe credit card numbers" Did this bother anyone else? I am kind of new to Android, so this kind of freaked me out. Anyone have any advice on this? Thanks

For other 3rd party kb's I'd worry about that, but not with Google's. The card I mostly use Google already has because it's tied to my Play Store account.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
For other 3rd party kb's I'd worry about that, but not with Google's. The card I mostly use Google already has because it's tied to my Play Store account.

Trustworthy ones though (Google Keyboard, SwiftKey, Flesky, Swype, etc.) won't do anything of that nature though. It would have been found out by now. The permission just means they could see it (which makes sense) since it would be used for the input. I know with SwiftKey at least they have predictions shut off when you enter a PW field (no words above the keyboard when typing in there).

mantaka

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
TouchPal but I hate that with every new update you get a stupid bloat... like custom lock screen when charging some advertisement before using it... but the ability to swipe and insert second symbol or just swipe backspace to delete a word is epic :) When I get my not exploding note 7 next week I will try more keyboards :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38