The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: What happens if the Note 7 is recalled?

Where have you seen or heard that? I have only seen sketchy reports with little official information on the 8890 vs N.America version.

I live in AZ. It happened here to a phone in Phoenix. I know for a fact. Makes me aware and watching my phone

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Will you stick with the Note 7 if there is a recall or get different phone?

A recall would not change the fact that this is the best phone available.

Can you not see the irony of that statement? It's a complete oxymoron. A recall would be a PR disaster for Samsung. Apple must be laughing at the moment.

I am no Samsung basher as I have the Galaxy. S5 and fully intend to replace it eventually with another Samsung. But this Note 7 has been rushed into production to beat iPhone 7 by a couple of months. Serious battery charging issues, glass that scratches easily, performance issues, random reboots and on and on.

It's time to call a spade a spade. The Note 7 is a poorly sorted out phone that you shouldn't hesitate to NOT recommend to someone. At the very least for a couple of months for Samsung to get over early build quality units.

But it's time for the moment to stop the glowing praises and have a really check about this phone in its current iteration.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Re: If sealed batteries are a liability for cellphones should Samsung move toward swappable batterie

The discussion is about swappable batteries not water resistance.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

That's what I'm thinking too. Why would anyone use a cheap $3 charger on a phone that cost at least $850 is beyond me.

I always try to use official cables from either the manufacturer of my device or other reputable companies who produce similar products. But I also think you answered your question. A lot of people don't like to spend a lot more money on a device that is already expensive. So it's kind of 2 ways to look at it: 1) Already paid a lot for the phone so I'm going to look to skimp on accessories. 2) Paid too much for this phone so gotta pay whatever it costs to for accessories for it.

I also think a lot of people don't understand how critical it is to buy good cables for devices. A lot think the worst case is the cable doesn't work or breaks easily. They don't think it will fry their phone. And honestly a proper certification process and design can prevent this. But since USB C is relatively new, they're still working through these things.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

So long as they fix the problem, I don't see an issue...it is still the best phone for my uses and until something better comes out, I will stick with it

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

My note 7 tells me there water in the USB. Which I haven't put it in water nor have I got it wet. My almost exploded the other morning it was soo hot I couldn't touch it. It took an hour to it to cool down. If they recall I hope they do give us temp phones for now or send us new ones since I sold my old phone

I mean I sure hope you exchanged your phone for a new one.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Going back to my Ngage. Taco calling comeback.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Can you not see the irony of that statement? It's a complete oxymoron. A recall would be a PR disaster for Samsung. Apple must be laughing at the moment.

I am no Samsung basher as I have the Galaxy. S5 and fully intend to replace it eventually with another Samsung. But this Note 7 has been rushed into production to beat iPhone 7 by a couple of months. Serious battery charging issues, glass that scratches easily, performance issues, random reboots and on and on.

It's time to call a spade a spade. The Note 7 is a poorly sorted out phone that you shouldn't hesitate to NOT recommend to someone. At the very least for a couple of months for Samsung to get over early build quality units.

But it's time for the moment to stop the glowing praises and have a really check about this phone in its current iteration.
Actually a recall wouldn't be the deciding factor, that can happen to anyone.

What will determine everything is how it is handled IF there is a recall.

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site

I always try to use official cables from either the manufacturer of my device or other reputable companies who produce similar products. But I also think you answered your question. A lot of people don't like to spend a lot more money on a device that is already expensive. So it's kind of 2 ways to look at it: 1) Already paid a lot for the phone so I'm going to look to skimp on accessories. 2) Paid too much for this phone so gotta pay whatever it costs to for accessories for it.

I also think a lot of people don't understand how critical it is to buy good cables for devices. A lot think the worst case is the cable doesn't work or breaks easily. They don't think it will fry their phone. And honestly a proper certification process and design can prevent this. But since USB C is relatively new, they're still working through these things.
True THAT !!! :p

Peace. Alan

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Why is it so hard for people to understand there are a good number of us that aren't having any of the problems that others are having? This isn't my first Samsung, but this has been the best. If it isn't for you, I'm sorry, you should return it and get something that will make you happy. It's pretty simple.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is there a chance that my Note 7 will decide to randomly blow up?

I use CF temperature and the highest i ever saw it get (and i'm talking "fry an egg on it" hot) before i was like YOWZA!! was145 degreesFarenheit and i shut it down... It cooled off in about 30 seconds......

Anyone know what degree threshold it can safely reach BEFORE its time to panic??!!

BTC
If you are referring to battery temperature then that is really hot... Generally speaking, it should be 140f max.

Now if you are referring to cpu Temps then that is normal

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

Until Samsung Canada announces the recall I will be expecting a full refund if they cannot exchange for a brand new one.

Not a fan of getting my phone serviced, it's the reason why I sold my S7 edge. There was a dead pixel and even though the display was replaced I couldn't live with it. I always tell the buyer everything.

I have to problems going back OnePlus 3.

Last edited:

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

That's tantamount to saying a papercut is the same thing as getting hacked to death with a machete.

yes, i can see where one MIGHT feel that way. BUT, i still stand by my statement. I warn all my phones in advance, "one scratch and its off you go to torment someone ELSE with your flawed self"

After all, life's too short for me to spend my life turning my phone towards every possible angle in order to try and convince myself, "ya can't see the scratch"...lol

BTC

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: If sealed batteries are a liability for cellphones should Samsung move toward swappable batterie

This incident doesn't make sealed batteries a liability. Even if it was removable, it the battery is defective it would still be an issue.
With a couple of batteries and a separate charger any heat produced from charging is disapated.

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site

Why is it so hard for people to understand there are a good number of us that aren't having any of the problems that others are having? This isn't my first Samsung, but this has been the best. If it isn't for you, I'm sorry, you should return it and get something that will make you happy. It's pretty simple.
the vast majority of the people, greater than 90% are not having the issue. i will be keeping the note 7, i will let them fix it if it is needed, but i'm keeping it.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

The discussion is about swappable batteries not water resistance.

If sealed batteries are a liability for cellphones should Samsung move toward swappable batteries? Users could have 100% mobile availability with swappable batteries and use a LifeProof case for water proof requirements.
Water resistance is achievable with a removable battery. Galaxy S5 for example.

As far as the OP question. Yes, it would be easier to handle this issue if the battery were swappable and they should go in that direction. Good design is achievable with removable batteries and there is no real negative to it other than the fact customers will have less of a need to upgrade and that's only a negative for the seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.