Exchanging your old Note7 for a new Note7? How do you plan to backup and restore?

awtryau89

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I can use Samsung Cloud. Before I returned my Note I reset it but then had to sign back in to disable some stuff for my work exchange. Anyway, it asked me if I wanted to use the Samsung Cloud backup. My question is around if this brings over any "junk". I'm leaning towards doing a fresh install from scratch but having all my screens and menu settings such as ringtones, notifications, etc would save a ton of time.

mmsean

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Help backing up Note7 before return....

I'm going to start fresh again because I've had instances where the application that was reinstalled wasn't the newest application on the Google Play Store. However if I was going to do it I would do a Smart Switch transfer it to an SD card and then when I got the new device I would do a Smart Switch transfer from the SD card to the phone.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

I don't sync my contacts, I export them to a file them import them on the new device.

You can try helium to backup your apps, it doesn't do all apps, some to me some app data is better than none.

...and I learned the hard way it does not back up your text messages... :-/

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I will backup my Google contacts of course, and my Nova Launcher settings, and my text messages using SMS Backup and Restore. Then I will set up as a new phone, download my apps from the playstore, retrieve my text messages, and finally restore my Nova Launcher settings. Kind of a pain, but, I'm not trusting Smart Switch. It will take longer, but I think it's worth the added hassle.

TheMiz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have seen somewhere that some like to encrypt their data before doing a wipe, I asked at the Verizon store to please do that and they said it was not needed and since I really didn't know how to do that I let it go.

What are all your thoughts on this and if you do it please let me know how to do this

Thanks In Advance

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I will likely use "SMS Backup & Restore" to catch all messages/mms/phone logs and rebuild the rest clean.

I second the "SMS Backup & Restore" It's by Carbonite. I always just backup my TXT/SMS to Google drive and download it to my new device. Works slick as snot. My pictures always go up to my OneDrive so I don't have to worry about those either.

I always set up my device as a new device because I don't want all the dumb apps I've download over time to come back.

Skybrok

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site

I'll do just like you basically. But I use Next launcher. GO SMS will backup my texts and retrieve with new phone.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I plan on Smart Switching from my current N7. The process is less likely to cause issues going to same device and using the cable (much faster). I have 40GB of apps, so will take 30-45 minutes using the cable. The Samsung rep and BB mobile manager says they will do that for me as long as I can hang around until done.

mmsean

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

461c3795b0af20a373945752e44ef7b6.jpg
3ccbcba1e91f55d1b74004d4254feee1.jpg

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

I did a backup to a PC using Smart Switch. However, I went the SS route before and will do a fresh set-up this time. If I want to I can always do the restore later if I want or need to.