Keep Your Note 7 Cool AT ALL TIMES

Shadowyugi

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
This is just a small placeholder for those who still have the Note 7 and are waiting for replacements to begin before handing in their phones.

I just had a slight incident in which the N7 I had (it crashes a lot, but I keep trying to put it on so I can wipe my data off it). It came on and refused to shut down so it's stuck on the boot screen. I proceed to pack the phone back in its case like I've done before. Only to notice after about 20/30 mins that it had begun to get really, really hot. Ended up giving it a cold rinse and leaving it out in the open so that it can cool down.

As an advice to the community: KEEP THE PHONES COOL AT ALL TIMES

If you have been using a case, you might need to temporarily stop that. Let it run naked. Don't place on your bed or any sheets, especially when you're asleep at night. Keep the phone face down when left alone or when charging. And always try to keep it in plain view away from any flammable materials.

It's better to be safe than sorry guys.

Soon, this will all be in the past :)

weesy

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I read this and instantly took the case off my phone. It's thin and light but better to be safe than sorry. I usually leave my phone screen side up when I put it down too so I'm going to have to try to remember leave it battery side up more often, especially when charging until I get the text/email that replacements are in.

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Mine has not been hot at all. I've been watching/feeling for just that since the news of the exploding batteries broke.
I have NOT left it charging unattended since then.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Caution is always a good thing, but if the battery caused the heat, you would probably not be able to use the device afterwords, or battery life would be a fraction of what it was before. Sometimes an app or combo of events can freeze Android into a cpu/gpu death spin. Device gets hot. The fix is a reboot and one of the hazards of having a more open OS than iOS.

Every Android device I have owned has experienced this at a point or another (S4 was the worst for this fro me). Note 7 included. It happened ironically when messing with power setting options with different games while testing if 1080p was a legit scaling feature.

Shadowyugi

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Caution is always a good thing, but if the battery caused the heat, you would probably not be able to use the device afterwords, or battery life would be a fraction of what it was before. Sometimes an app or combo of events can freeze Android into a cpu/gpu death spin. Device gets hot. The fix is a reboot and one of the hazards of having a more open OS than iOS.

Every Android device I have owned has experienced this at a point or another (S4 was the worst for this fro me). Note 7 included. It happened ironically when messing with power setting options with different games while testing if 1080p was a legit scaling feature.

Even Blackberry's Priv has this issue... But the heat coming off my Note 7 was most definitely worrying. I'm happy they are sorting out the issue, but its also worth saying that the batteries are bad. I'm still unsure my unit is a battery defective phone, because it was crashing way before it began to have the heat problem.

Now it doesn't even come on but overheats. I'm currently afraid to put it in my pocket, or in its case, until it runs out of battery and dies because of the possibility of it burning out in both places. I'm just playing the waiting game now. Samsung said they'd call me within 7 working days, but might call them today to update them on my current phone situation.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If the N7 still gets hot soon every time after a reboot, it could be the battery. The cpu/gpu would not be the issue after a reboot. A rogue app maybe, but that would be really rogue.

Shadowyugi

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Except, I'm not even running anything. It's just stuck on the boot screen. On the plus side, it said that the encryption thingymajig has failed so I'll need to restore to factory default and I'm alright with that. Once it dies, i don't need to charge it anymore or put it on till I get my new one.

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
FWIW the only time my N7 has gotten hot was when watching Periscope videos. I even watched a two hour movie on it last night and it not only didn't get warm, it did the whole movie in only 10% of my battery power. Impressive.

I do like the idea of running it naked it if gets hot, or even rinsing it under cool water.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My Note 7 doesn't really get hot...guess I'm gonna stop the overnight charging until I get a new one
I really don't want to exchange to another phone I'm already too used to this phone and set everything up the way I want

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
My Note 7 doesn't really get hot...guess I'm gonna stop the overnight charging until I get a new one
I really don't want to exchange to another phone I'm already too used to this phone and set everything up the way I want

That's exactly why I don't want to exchange mine yet either. I want to be able to do a complete copy/switch/whatever there in the store so I don't have to redo everything. Otherwise I'm gonna be pretty miffed.

I charged mine overnight last night, was fine. What's funny is I used the wall charger for my iPad Pro but with an AUKEY USB cable.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly why I don't want to exchange mine yet either. I want to be able to do a complete copy/switch/whatever there in the store so I don't have to redo everything. Otherwise I'm gonna be pretty miffed.

I charged mine overnight last night, was fine. What's funny is I used the wall charger for my iPad Pro but with an AUKEY USB cable.

Yeah honestly I think if you use a good reliable charger like a name brand charger instead of one of those 3rd party/cheap china made ones, you should be fine keeping the Note 7 until the replacement

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I am hoping the Smart Switch app will be clean going from N7 to N7 and on same carrier. Do not want to waste literally an entire day again to download and set everything back up. 40GB of apps.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I am hoping the Smart Switch app will be clean going from N7 to N7 and on same carrier. Do not want to waste literally an entire day again to download and set everything back up. 40GB of apps.

I haven't had any problems with Smart Switch so far
and I've also backed up my stuff on Samsung Cloud, so apparently it will transfer how my HS layout it including folders and the positions of the folders to the new phone....that would save a LOT of time for me

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
+1 here. New to Android (nine year iPhone vet who's seen the light) - Making sure to charge while I'm around (and awake), and waiting it out for a direct N7 to N7 replacement.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I read this and instantly took the case off my phone. It's thin and light but better to be safe than sorry. I usually leave my phone screen side up when I put it down too so I'm going to have to try to remember leave it battery side up more often, especially when charging until I get the text/email that replacements are in.
I forgot to turn mine over last night. Setting a reminder now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress