09-24-2016 01:58 PM
72 123
tools
    What the Note 7 seems to be doing is taking two shots, one with a near focal point which gives the background a natural blur and one with a distant focal point, giving the foreground a natural blur. It also seems to be merging the two shots to give you a third option with a very large depth of field (like an f8 or f10) so everything in view is in focus (for the most part).

I've just started playing around with this, I think it's going to be fun and provide some interesting shots
    Me too. It is pretty cool. I can't figure out how to use the "pan focus" option just yet though ...
    09-08-2016 10:44 PM
    Why does it matter if it is better or not? We don't know yet, because no one can "test" it yet anyway. I am sure once it becomes available there will be more than enough comparison articles around to see, if it really matters. I'm just saying I expect it will be very good, regardless of how it compares to anything else.
    You said that they continue to push the boundaries and we should give credit where it is due. So of course it matters if they really are pushing the boundaries or not. Selective focus was in the galaxy s series since the galaxy s5 over two years ago. There is no credit due and there is no immediate sign of them pushing the boundaries, or maybe I'm just not understanding what it is that Apple is doing. Hence why I asked.
    mmsean likes this.
    09-08-2016 11:07 PM
    You said that they continue to push the boundaries and we should give credit where it is due. So of course it matters if they really are pushing the boundaries or not. Selective focus was in the galaxy s series since the galaxy s5 over two years ago. There is no credit due and there is no immediate sign of them pushing the boundaries, or maybe I'm just not understanding what it is that Apple is doing. Hence why I asked.

If you don't want to give them credit, that's fine. IMO they have pushed all other OEMs since he iPhone 4 to make better cameras. Believe what you will. I just asked if it matters " if the depth of field is better than the Note 7". And I would still ask why would that matter.

I hate more than anyone when Apple claims to "invent" something that has been out for years. No one is saying they invented depth of field here. I am just saying I bet it will work great and look great. The tech on the new 7 plus looks cool, the smooth zooming and other features, etc.

Since the iPhone 4 phone came out, the iPhones have had arguably the best cameras in any smartphone for years and years now. The Galaxy phones have rivaled them some years, and perhaps surpassed them this year. That's great, I love my Note 7 camera. but I can still appreciate the effort and progress Apple makes each year to improve their cameras..
    Ddust14 likes this.
    09-09-2016 07:07 AM
    I'm not getting your point here. Additional blur added by software can be done with just about any device with the help of any one of several apps from the play store.

What the Note 7 seems to be doing is taking two shots, one with a near focal point which gives the background a natural blur and one with a distant focal point, giving the foreground a natural blur. It also seems to be merging the two shots to give you a third option with a very large depth of field (like an f8 or f10) so everything in view is in focus (for the most part).

I've just started playing around with this, I think it's going to be fun and provide some interesting shots.
    I mean that's what it is, whether some other apps can do the same thing or not, probably there are.
    09-09-2016 07:28 AM
    Here's an example of selective focus on the Note 7. Selective Focus Vs. iPhone 7 Depth-of-Field-1473440216707.jpgSelective Focus Vs. iPhone 7 Depth-of-Field-1473440222370.jpgSelective Focus Vs. iPhone 7 Depth-of-Field-1473440227579.jpg
    09-09-2016 11:57 AM
    Great photos and great explanations! I was thinking the same thing when I saw that feature on iPhone 7 as well. I have not used it on my note 7 yet except by mistake 1 time but when I get my replacement I will use it alot more.
    09-10-2016 07:50 PM
    Meh to it all. Just about any recent phone can be made to do selective focus. And if they can not do it natively there is software.
    If you all want to know which phone can do it natively better all you have to do is wait another week.
    09-10-2016 08:58 PM
    Interesting topic. I wish more were taking it seriously in here because I have some genuine questions. DOF & bokeh have always been an interesting topic to me as far as the cell phone realm is concerned.

Loving these posted pics, btw.
    09-11-2016 01:24 AM
    The software to do selective focus on my real camera isn't cheap. The main benefit to me is to be able to get the details of a higher aperture while still enjoying the light the benefits of shooting fully open.

Main challenge is keeping the camera completely still as it goes through all of it's pictures. Then the software comes in and blends them. To get more detailed results you just have to take more pictures.
    PlaybookFanatic and Gray Area like this.
    09-11-2016 01:24 AM
    The software to do selective focus on my real camera isn't cheap. The main benefit to me is to be able to get the details of a higher aperture while still enjoying the light the benefits of shooting fully open.

Main challenge is keeping the camera completely still as it goes through all of it's pictures. Then the software comes in and blends them. To get more detailed results you just have to take more pictures.
    Interesting.
    09-11-2016 01:27 AM
    Here's an example of selective focus on the Note 7. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1473440216707.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	238969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1473440222370.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	238970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1473440227579.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	238971
    i was about to post a similar set, and explain it from a scientific and photographic point of view, but not needed. I am a published photographer, in the advertising industry.

In short, Samsung implementation allows one to select close/near focus, far focus, or everything 'in focus', AFTER the shot (shots, as it has to take more than one, and process them). With 2 lenses, the iPhone 7 Plus MAY be able to let the user select the precise field of focus at a fixed f1.8 aperture, in a tiny sensor, so basically limited to macro shots for any real effect, but closer to the Lytro Light Field Camera effect than Samsung; again this is speculation.

Still, neither is anything like Lytro implementation (Apples MAY be closer to it, but still 2 lenses means distortion), BUT the iPhone 7 COULD allow the user to change depth of field AFTER the shot in a better way than Samsung has implemented, ie select more precise depth of field (focus area) or everything in focus.

Lytro implementation is still going to be the better tech, but still limited.

Both are basically simulations of Lytro camera capabilities, and limited. Cool, but not the same thing.
    09-11-2016 01:39 AM
    yea excatly...!
    09-11-2016 05:50 AM
    Since my Note 7 was taken away (I turned it in after the latest 'turn off' email from Samsung), I got an Honor 8 to hold me over till they re-release the Note 7.

Don't want to crowd this thread with Honor 8 photos, but this is it's party trick - depth sensing second camera. I find it to be significantly better at bokehs than the Note 7's 'selective focus' feature, and both the 'strength' of the blur and area of focus can be adjusted after the shot is taken.

Oh, on the Note 7, the google camera app does a much better job of bokehs than Samsung app's selective focus feature.

tlo07 and Himanshu_Patel like this.
    09-11-2016 06:58 AM
    If you don't want to give them credit, that's fine. IMO they have pushed all other OEMs since he iPhone 4 to make better cameras. Believe what you will. I just asked if it matters " if the depth of field is better than the Note 7". And I would still ask why would that matter.

I hate more than anyone when Apple claims to "invent" something that has been out for years. No one is saying they invented depth of field here. I am just saying I bet it will work great and look great. The tech on the new 7 plus looks cool, the smooth zooming and other features, etc.

Since the iPhone 4 phone came out, the iPhones have had arguably the best cameras in any smartphone for years and years now. The Galaxy phones have rivaled them some years, and perhaps surpassed them this year. That's great, I love my Note 7 camera. but I can still appreciate the effort and progress Apple makes each year to improve their cameras..
    This my friend, is a massive myth. I had all of their phones and found that their cameras, albeit well over hyped, weren't any better, if at all, than the best android cameras or Nokias..

I had all the phones, I sold phones, and did my own testing, and although I am no photographer, my eyes are pretty good. The most impressive iPhone cameras to me has always been the front facing cameras, which although were stated as some pretty low megapixels, always seems to take really sharp and impressive selfies and front videos.

I remember when I got an iPhone 4, and was so excited to see this hyped camera. I was very underwhelmed. Then it occurred to me that the people who were hyping the camera may have not been exposed to other great phone cameras for comparison. I think Samsung, for example, has always made great cameras from the very first galaxy S phones.

I am sure someone will do a shootout with all the top phone cameras and we will get a true analytical assessment of the iPhone 7 cameras strengths and weaknesses, if any.
    09-11-2016 07:44 AM
    Yeah except you forgot one important thing, selective focus on the Note 7 is really slow and would only be ideal in a static scene compared to the iPhone 7 which will take the photo in an instant because it already has focus at both distances because of 2 cameras. Please don't sound like a bunch of fanboys and look at the facts. Especially those who claim to be photography enthusiasts. I love my Note 7 but I also give credit where credit is due.
    Strong_Genetics and dsignori like this.
    09-11-2016 09:23 AM
    I'm also still waiting for any android phone to rival the iPhone's slow motion quality. Android still can't figure out how to have audio "during" slow motion.
    MarqBland likes this.
    09-11-2016 09:28 AM
    I'm also still waiting for any android phone to rival the iPhone's slow motion quality. Android still can't figure out how to have audio "during" slow motion.
    Ifone fanbois on note 7 forum always make laugh.

Ifone cameras are 3 years behind the cutting edge. It's hilarious when apple execs make it sound like ifone cameras are God's gift to all of us. 'machine learning's - Schiller sounds like an amateur.
    09-11-2016 10:44 AM
    Sorry...duplicate.
    jj2339 likes this.
    09-11-2016 10:46 AM
    Ifone fanbois on note 7 forum always make laugh.

Ifone cameras are 3 years behind the cutting edge. It's hilarious when apple execs make it sound like ifone cameras are God's gift to all of us. 'machine learning's - Schiller sounds like an amateur.
    Too bad I'm not an ifone fanboy. I have an S4 Note 5 and 7. I'm just not a blind fanboy. So what do you think about what I said about my two posts above? I'll be waiting.
    09-11-2016 10:54 AM
    Too bad I'm not an ifone fanboy. I have an S4 Note 5 and 7. I'm just not a blind fanboy. So what do you think about what I said about my two posts above? I'll be waiting.
    I won't waste my time arguing with you about your knowledge of a phone that has not been released yet. You have no freaking clue what the iPhone 7 camera is going to be like, so save your fanboi behavior till it actually hits people's pockets and real world experiences are posted. I don't listen to a word of apple's press releases since they are comical - I am a Marketing professional, and the way apple distorts the truth is a joke in the profession.
    09-11-2016 10:59 AM
    I won't waste my time arguing with you about your knowledge of a phone that has not been released yet. You have no freaking clue what the iPhone 7 camera is going to be like, so save your fanboi behavior till it actually hits people's pockets and real world experiences are posted. I don't listen to a word of apple's press releases since they are comical - I am a Marketing professional, and the way apple distorts the truth is a joke in the profession.

You're a marketing profession. So that makes you legit and that's the final word, right! Looks like I'm hurting your little fanboy feelings because I have an unbiased opinion. I can be a marketing professional at BS as well. I'm a rocket scientist as well and have a PhD in Quatum physics. You're a joke.

Your so called marketing professional skills couldn't hold a jock strap to Apple's marketing team. That's one things they've perfected.
    09-11-2016 11:05 AM
    Mod note: let's discuss the topic and not the people in the thread. Thank you!
    Gray Area and Amele like this.
    09-11-2016 11:19 AM

Your so called marketing professional skills couldn't hold a jock strap to Apple's marketing team. That's one things they've perfected.
    So you agree your earlier posts were baseless because we haven't seen real life reviews of it yet?
    09-11-2016 12:22 PM
    So you agree your earlier posts were baseless because we haven't seen real life reviews of it yet?
    Nope. My post regarding the slow selective focus mode of Note 7 still stands. It's common sense. One lens vs two. Two will always be faster because each lens is designed for specific purposes.
    09-11-2016 12:27 PM
    Thanks for the insight here...Camera is the number one feature for me but it would take a lot more than a Camera to make me go to iOS. If I may digress, I'm just waiting on Verizon to get the replacement Note 7's!!!
    I want to get the iPhone 7 Plus but everytime I remember I have to use iTunes to copy my music/pics and how big of a mess it is, I steer away
    09-11-2016 02:09 PM
72 123