Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fwinst

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung will remotely deactivate your N7

You know I normally don't "swing this way", but I'm actually o.k. with the kill switch idea in general. It IS one way to ensure and reassure EVERYONE that after a certain date, all Note 7s in use are o.k. I guess someone could hang onto theirs and try to continue to use it as a wifi only device but boy...I can't imagine why someone would pay that much and do that AND try to use it somewhere that currently is scrutinizing its use (i.e. airlines).

Having said that, totally agree with trucksmoveamerica#...they have to at least have replaced my device first! I'm not crazy about the loaner idea but bottom line is if there is a consistent policy in place that ALL phones get a loaner or ALL phones are replaced with another approved Note 7 and THEN they hit the kill switch, I think that's reasonable and fair. Then it's on me because I didn't do the responsible thing (trade in my device either for another approved one, or a loaner, or another device entirely).

Hopefully I don't get bashed for that.

You shouldn't get blasted. I agree, in this case shutting down all the devices would remedy the "I'm keeping my phone" syndrome. Like you, I just want to see a consistent policy instated across the board, with all carriers and retail outlets. I want to know that when I take my device in, and have my old S3 activated, I'm not pulled of the list, and made to wait until the phones are offered for sale. Whether I choose to risk using a S7 or S7E for the short term (as offered by Sprint most carriers. SPRINT'S ARE NOT LOANERS), or I choose to activate an older device while waiting, I should still be considered as a customer wanting an EXCHANGE, not a RETURN. I'm not convinced the system is in place to handle that.

fwinst

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Ban At Work

even if they deactivate the old note 7 people could still use them on Wi-Fi and music players, and could be used on airlines as such. They could become nice small tablets.

I'm thinking that these devices will be bricked. Forget wifi. The fact is that the battery issue would still be a factor. Just turn it in.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

I'm thinking that these devices will be bricked. Forget wifi. The fact is that the battery issue would still be a factor. Just turn it in.
I am exchanging mine, I'm just going to wait for the replacements unless the 30th comes first, then I will return it and wait for the new ones unless I have been contacted by carrier or Samsung for swap arrangements coming soon.

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

even if they deactivate the old note 7 people could still use them on Wi-Fi and music players, and could be used on airlines as such. They could become nice small tablets.

That's a good point I used my Verizon moto e LTE as a mp3 player for a while. I don't think maybe people will do that with the note 7 but I'm sure some will. Your right it does make a great mini tablet too especially with the stylus essentially being a mouse.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

That's a good point I used my Verizon moto e LTE as a mp3 player for a while. I don't think maybe people will do that with the note 7 but I'm sure some will. Your right it does make a great mini tablet too especially with the stylus essentially being a mouse.
I don't even use tablets, just as easy to use my note.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Yes been posted before. But I feel it is a good idea for Samsung. They've gone this far recalling all the phones regardless of cost and they are getting heat from agencies now and may not stop unless they hit the kill switch on them. And today, if true, an article of a little boy got burned by an exploding Note 7 in Brooklyn. Now you have stories of children getting hurt now. Getting close to Samsungs nightmare scenario.

Be brave Samsung! Take these defective phones out of circulation. Hit the kill switch.

Here is the link to the story in Brooklyn

Was just watching videos on the phone and it went on fire.

Recalled Samsung phone explodes in little boy’s hands | New York Post

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

I don't even use tablets, just as easy to use my note.

Forgot my laptop charger on my trip so I was using my spigen wallet case and Google launcher for landscape rotate. Felt just like a mini tablet I loved that combination.

That story with the boy and the fire. I thought they said he was playing a game not watching a video unless it's a different one.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

No. It's not the US, it's not us.
"If owners don’t return the defective device, Samsung may be taking things into its own hands in the coming weeks as the company may be remotely deactivating devices that are not returned after September 30th"

On a positive note, article says:
" Replacement package will include a brand-new Note 7, and the new version of the Samsung Gear VR"

I guess we will see about the VR, at this point in time I am not believing much until the replacement day comes, if it ever does

http://phandroid.com/2016/09/10/samsung-galaxy-note-7-deactivated/

Edit: I followed the Reddit link phandroid referenced to. The user sounded like he was is France so I am not so sure if we will also receive a VR.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

I have said this in a Verizon thread and will post here. Contact your carrier and see what they are doing now regarding the situation. Verizon made a huge move yesterday for their customers. Double switch effective yesterday. You can take your Note 7 to a corporate store and trade in for a different device temporarily and when the Note 7 replacements are available, can switch then to the Note 7. This is a win for Verizon customers. I did so last night and am using the edge 7. I am not thrilled about the situation but am happy am in a device I don't have to be constantly concerned about exploding. I know of two devices that have exploded in the Phoenix area . It is a safety factor. Dump it...temporarily..... we will be getting replacements, just unsure when. Verizon said they should know more within a week. I miss my Note but I am "safe"

Posted via the Android Central App

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

Do you work for Verizon? If not you should. I've seen you post the same thing at least six times. Can you get us a good deal? Free extra goodies?
I have said this in a Verizon thread and will post here. Contact your carrier and see what they are doing now regarding the situation. Verizon made a huge move yesterday for their customers. Double switch effective yesterday. You can take your Note 7 to a corporate store and trade in for a different device temporarily and when the Note 7 replacements are available, can switch then to the Note 7. This is a win for Verizon customers. I did so last night and am using the edge 7. I am not thrilled about the situation but am happy am in a device I don't have to be constantly concerned about exploding. I know of two devices that have exploded in the Phoenix area . It is a safety factor. Dump it...temporarily..... we will be getting replacements, just unsure when. Verizon said they should know more within a week. I miss my Note but I am "safe"

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: I miss having my Note

Nothing ridiculous about it at all. The Note 7 is marginally better than the S7 Edge. Shrugs....

I am using the edge 7 temporarily. I turned in my Note 7 and when the replacement is available will be getting again. I have had every Note device and am spoiled. The Note 7 really tops them all and it wasn't easy choice but safety first. The edge can't be compared to the Note 7 . But this is temporary and can use without concern.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Folks still using the N7, probably best to turn off rapid charging.

The jeep story is total BS just like the Firefighter with the garage fire. The guy with the Jeep must have had a full 5 gallon gas on the front seat at the same time he was charging the Note 7. These people are on a cash grab and have already hired ambulance chasing lawyers to handle their fraudulent cases. Give me a break. :p

Anyone noticed that AndroidCentral is blasting us with an unusual high amount of pop ads that make the site almost impossible to navigate? Like this crap here:

View attachment 239123

Yea and AdBlocker FTW! I have not seen the add in a few days now. :)

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

I am exchanging mine, I'm just going to wait for the replacements unless the 30th comes first, then I will return it and wait for the new ones unless I have been contacted by carrier or Samsung for swap arrangements coming soon.

I just swapped temporarily with edge .....Verizon....and when replacements available, can get it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

Do you work for Verizon? If not you should. I've seen you post the same thing at least six times. Can you get us a good deal? Free extra goodies?

you don't have to be sarcastic. I was replying to people just in case. I don't but am a consumer. Verizon has made this decision to offer double switch to accomodate the Note 7 customer.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

Just swapped to the S7e. Will swap back as soon as the N7 is in. My store said it should be this week as long as the CPSC is satisfied.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: I miss having my Note

Nothing ridiculous about it at all. The Note 7 is marginally better than the S7 Edge. Shrugs....

Yea I had the S7E from day one and the Note for a couple of weeks. The note just felt better in the hand. Other than that they were pretty much the same phone. I'm not a s-pen user so take that for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty