Power Down and Don't Charge Note 7 per The Consumer Product Safety Commission

Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Samsung limiting charge to 60% for current Note 7's to "help" with the explosion problem

All note 7 in Korea? I mean it is a Korea website.

It says "All Note 7s" in the article. That doesn't usually mean just Korea. The article could be wrong, but that is what it says.

Another article says:

"It was not clear when the update may be issued overseas. Also unclear was whether it will be forced on existing Note 7 phones regardless of user consent. Yonhap News Agency reported that Samsung is in talks with mobile carriers to deliver the same update to keep battery power at 60 percent or below at all times."

BobMango

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung limiting charge to 60% for current Note 7's to "help" with the explosion problem

My understanding was that the problem was a manufacturing defect that meant the battery could overheat with disastrous results, whether it was charging or not. Doesn't this update seem to say the problem is overcharging? Regardless, it seems the result will be phones being charged more frequently.....hmmm.

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Well with luck it will "notify" us of the update and we can decline to install it, because if mine gets it, I will then return it to Samsung, but it will be after I take a hammer to it, thus ensuring it will never be able to be refurbed. AND I won't be getting another Samsung to replace it. Just like if they were to "disable" the phones remotely.

The key to getting these phones out of the "wild" is to GET US REPLACEMENT PHONES IMMEDIATELY. None of this, "exchange the phone for something else and we'll eventually get more Note 7's made" crap.

I like the Note 7, but Samsung's handling of this is making me consider getting an iPhone 7 Plus, even though I freaking hate iOS.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

5b76a37472f3951ff70399351b957d3b.jpg

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site

They should find a way to allow this update worldwide to all affected note 7s to stop the resale of affected notes...... Once replacements are available of course

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

My understanding was that the problem was a manufacturing defect that meant the battery could overheat with disastrous results, whether it was charging or not. Doesn't this update seem to say the problem is overcharging? Regardless, it seems the result will be phones being charged more frequently.....hmmm.
So far there have been no confirmed cases other than those during or just after charging. In both cases, the phone is obviously more likely to be at 100% charge than any other time.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Very true. The problem though would be the CPSC's interpretation of findings. If the CPSC determines this production issue is systemic, they could advise Samsung to not sell any of the current devices- including the apparent ones with the "S" on them. This would mean weeks or a few months for replacements. This why I hope the article is taking what Samsung said out of context. Perhaps Samsung is referring to the devices on recall and not the "S" ones as well, but that is not how the article reads...
I'm sure the CPSC is getting detailed paperwork with diagrams, dimensions, info etc that will never see the light of day. That's the thing, Samsung prolly sent them everything they need to fast track everything, and the CPSC will go over it and decide if further testing is needed. I work for a company that takes a week for things to process that could be accomplished in a day, but proper channels get in the way. It's not even a government entity. I'm sure they take longer. This is all speculation on my part of course.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I wholeheartedly agree. I don't understand it. I use phone iPhones and Android so probably why I don't understand it. But people go the extra mile to praise the company that makes the device they love and bash the one that doesn't. I'm not married to any of these devices and they all just want my information and money. Therefore, I have no loyalty to any of them.
Started with Apple I think. They made a cult following with the iPhone, and like yin and yang, it gave rise to haters lol. Seems to be dying down like any fad and people care significantly less about branding than they did 3 years ago, from what I can see. Android and iOS converging to some extent probably made it easier.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

They should find a way to allow this update worldwide to all affected note 7s to stop the resale of affected notes...... Once replacements are available of course

Whatever they do, there will be devices out there and people in some cases faking failures to get a quick buck. I see no good ending to this unless the published events that keep getting recycled turn out to be due to "other factors". Even then it will not help much. Rumors and conjecture appear to be the accepted reality for the Note 7. At this point barring some turn of events, I think the Note 7 (that I luv) might essentially be dead.

Ironic that the best device I have owned is apparently a case of failure from the jaws of victory.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Since there will surely be plenty of people hanging on to their Note 7s until replacements arrive, I am wondering if this move to limit charging to 60% full isn't counter-productive in a certain way for Samsung.

If they limit phones to 60%, it's pretty likely that people will be charging their phones way more often than before - you know, so their phone doesn't die :).

Charging the Note 7 more frequently seems more dangerous in a way, which is the effect this will seem to have. They should have limited it to 80 or 90% IMO, that would have had the same mitigating effect of not reaching 100% and overheating possibly, while still not encouraging those keeping the phone to charge more often. Meh, what do I know ..

Last edited:

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Samsung at this point should just pull the plug on Note 7, give everyone a replacement S7E with a free sd card or something, and push the Grace UX update to S7E. Going forward, they should just ditch the note lineup altogether and instead just make one of the S8 phones come with a S Pen.

The only things I'll agree on are the NON note line being the S8 for example to have the S-pen, a free SD card for our troubles, and Grace UX. I like the idea of a smaller screen having the S- pen.

If they pull the Note 7 device all together, a Lot of NOTE folks will not be able to wait for the Note 8, which will come out in a year. Now I'm speaking for those who don't have a backup phone or prefer the bigger screen. If I wasn't so tied to the S-pen, I'd probably go with S7 as the edge is hard to hold in one hand without accessing the edge screen on accident.

RoyKelly2

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Ban At Work

You don't have to work at a carrier to see that things are changing rapidly, and that not all carriers or even stores have the same policies.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Agreed, if I wanted a an s7 edge at this point I would not buy it for $750. The edge is nice, but the note is much better hardware.
This. S7E is the best alternative phone to N7 now (that or an HTC 10). But no way would I pay full freight for one with or wo carrier incentives. Got mine on CL for $350 in mint condition. At that price, I like my chances of reselling if-when the N7 comes back.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Ban At Work

You don't have to work at a carrier to see that things are changing rapidly, and that not all carriers or even stores have the same policies.

Or the fact that this is something they just haven't had to deal with before. The best bet is to get everyone informed and on the same page. In this instance, it's best not to deny or send a customer away unhappy or unsatisfied.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

What's next, the SWAT team going to kick down our doors, kill us and take our note 7's?

Just get the replacements out and quit with all this nonsense.

kyle0k

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: "The Blame Game"....who is responsible from this point forward?

I bought through Best Buy and my only option is
1. Return for a refund.
2. Exchange for an older model, PERMANENTLY.
3. Wait till replacements arrive.

So while alot of the carriers are allowing the use of some other phone during the wait, many places are still not offering that as an option.

Because of this, my wife is still using her Note 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty