Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Statement from Samsung

Distortion? 50 cases worldwide out of 2.5 million units? OMG!

You don't get it. It doesn't matter if it's 50 N7 phones out of two million or 50 MS Lumia phones out of ten thousand.

50 is an extraordinary high number of phones catching fire. I said this before, it's not a maths stats that determines how serious it is. As I said before, if a construction company built 10,000 new homes in a year and just 1 collapsed, that is a disaster. It's not a case of just 1 in 10,000.

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung urges everyone to turn off their Note 7

Wow. I wonder what went wrong between the Edge 7 and Note 7.

As users we only care about spec's but there's so many design decisions that can end up being the root cause for this catastrophe.

Was it the USB-C charging circuit? Was it the lack of proper heatsinks? I'm curious to know what actually changed between these two phones that led to this.

It has to be more than just bad batteries. Lithium ion is mature tech, I highly doubt this is just battery manufacturing mistakes, it's a design issue.
I still think. Batch 1 to 100 were bad but in reality. Its 1 to 200.either they will update the checker. I've heard some saying for the safe not 7 but actually had the bad one. Who knows anymore.

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Why don't you get a Note 4 instead ?

Yup, I was, and still am if it becomes available, excited to get the Note 7. Still have my Note 4, which I am typing this on.
The fact I can buy a replacement Battery at any given time feels reassuring.
I DON'T need an IRIS scanner! I DON'T need a water resistant phone.
However, I DO like 64GB in lieu of 32. And the improved low-light Camera. And the curved Edges.
If anything I will wait for the S8, but as of now my Note 4 is FINE!!

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

It's been real these two months, Samsung. Hopefully next October will be better times for the company.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

How the hell did this happen? I wonder how many heads will roll over this. I still can't fathom the monumental effort to recall millions of phones only to discover the problem wasn't fixed. I strongly suspect a major rush job that failed to identify the cause of the battery fires.

Truly bewildering.

I watched a short clip on YouTube from Leo Laporte yesterday where he was talking with a caller who asked if the phone was safe. Leo told him he should probably shut if off since the caller was worried. In the discussion with the caller, the point was brought up that it may have been that Samsung simply altered the "new" batch of phones simply by taking old phones and altering the firmware so that the phone used the battery in a different way. Remember how some people with replacements made comments about the battery life being different?

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

I'm waiting until an official recall notice comes from Samsung. It really sounds like a faulty circuit due to shoehorning Quick Charge 2.0 with the new USB-C port with subsequent runaway so I'll be shutting that feature down. Samsung will get to the bottom of this...this statement is only a CYA to reduce liability and give them more time to fix and resolve the issue.

Samsung's mistake was to do a mass recall in the first place as it 1) put them under media scrutiny - "recall" equals bad press no matter how you spin it; 2) put them under immense time pressure to produce replacements; 3) put the carriers under immense pressure to satisfy disgruntled customers; and 4) putting themselves in the corner by potentially doing a 2nd recall. Should've just pulled an Apple and say it that these were isolated incidents and are "being investigated" while they work behind the scenes for more than a couple of weeks. I can see carriers being pissed now but if they come out with a fixed phone watch them flock back to Samsung...it's all about making money to them and Samsung will drive the media hype so they'll have no choice but to carry the new phone.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

My Note 7 is fine. Will keep until they force me off. Best device ever. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Samsung needs to figure out what changed with their battery procurement and production process. Billions down the drain.

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

I went into tmobile today to trade my note 7 for the s7 edge..(sad day) . I believe the note 7 is the best phone on the market!. I am sorry, NO BORING IPHONE FOR ME!!!!

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Wow. I wonder what went wrong between the Edge 7 and Note 7.

As users we only care about spec's but there's so many design decisions that can end up being the root cause for this catastrophe.

Was it the USB-C charging circuit? Was it the lack of proper heatsinks? I'm curious to know what actually changed between these two phones that led to this.

It has to be more than just bad batteries. Lithium ion is mature tech, I highly doubt this is just battery manufacturing mistakes, it's a design issue.

I read that the battery was a fraction too large for the battery compartment, putting the whole battery under physical pressure.

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

P. S. There is NO WAY in hell I would EVER get an iPhone! How dare you say "feel free to exchange your phone for the iPhone 7". How dare you!

dannydyn

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

i'm waiting until an official recall notice comes from samsung. It really sounds like a faulty circuit due to shoehorning quick charge 2.0 with the new usb-c port with subsequent runaway so i'll be shutting that feature down. Samsung will get to the bottom of this...this statement is only a cya to reduce liability and give them more time to fix and resolve the issue.

Samsung's mistake was to do a mass recall in the first place as it 1) put them under media scrutiny - "recall" equals bad and 2) put them under immense time pressure to produce replacements; 3) put the carriers under immense pressure to satisfy disgruntled customers; and 4) putting themselves in the corner by potentially doing a 2nd recall. Should've just pulled an apple and say it was these were isolated incidents and are "being investigated" while they work behind the scene for more than a couple of weeks. I can see carriers being pissed now but if they come out with a fixed phone watch them flock back to samsung...it's all about making money to them and samsung will drive the media hype so they'll have no choice but to carry the new phone.

could not agree more!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

What OS version is the Note 4 on?
What security patch level is the Note 4 on?

Note4Ever

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site

I've heard about the lag ...
I did a TON of research on the 4 before deciding it's what I wanted ... I think the lag was when the phone was just released .. much of that has been patched out I believe ... At least I can't speak for seeing any lag with my NON-carrier phone ( that didn't come with any bloat ware )

As for the battery , I've found that it seems to last even longer than my note 3 did ...if you've been rolling with the same battery for longer than a year you need to get a new one . You can pick up a wall charger and two batteries from ANKER on amazon for 27 dollars ...

Do a factory restore on your 4 and update the newest firmware and it should be a new awesome kickass phone !

Devil13n

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site

Like lots of others have said - One of the best phones I've ever had. Shame it had to end this way.

Hated the S7 Edge. No HTC 10 at T-Mobile anymore. iPhone not an option.
Will go with something cheap until the V20 hits.

This sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38