Note 7: What was and was not needed…

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Feel free to add your suggestions/preferences, I am certainly no Engineer, but from what we gather there was a problem with too much crammed into such a tiny package. As an Electronic Cigarette Vaper this much I do comprehend, that is Battery Cells NEED absolutely space for what is known as 'Venting' (Vape Cigarette Mods generally use 18650 Batteries, even the larger 26650's). Also there is a technicality such is Heat Sink. Please allow the Experts among you to add input here…

…My main focus is what was and was NOT necessary in the original Galaxy Note 7. What was there in way of Feature that was not at all necessary in such away to take away the fact the Note 7 "had it all".

1) Headphone Jack
I have never owned an iPhone by the way, only ever Samsung Galaxy S2, Note 2 and Note 4, but the Headphone Jack is Ancient Tech. For the past 3 years I have only ever used Bluetooth Headphones (Bluedio brand) with Power Amp and Neutron for 64Bit 'Audiophile' quality sound. These headphones are a fraction of the price of Dr. Dre Beats and yet don't entail a spaghetti junction type deal with long dangling cable wire.
Lose the Headphone Jack. Not necessary. Free up space.

2) IRIS Scanner.
No one asked for it to be implemented. Was it a gimmick/novelty or something more sinister. Regardless, it certainly was NOT needed on such a device, the Note 7 without blows away all competition bar none on it's own. Without IRIS Scanner.

3) Removable Battery - 'Water Resistant'
Again, something sinister, or genuinely a practical convenience?
I am OK either way, I dig water resistance, yet just feel less "Big Brother'ed" with the ability to remove, and if necessary, replace Battery.
Yet I DO love the all-glass design, and would be OK if Battery remained locked in (not sure how many glass panels would have broken if it was a removable plate?)
On a technical side, would Removable Battery actually be "safer"? Again, experts, please chime in.

Well that's it for now. A serious topic, yet fun, what do we "NEED", what do we want and what is not necessary yet still allowing the reputation of the Note 7 (in hindsight) being still "the best Phone available by far"

Thank you.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Feel free to add your suggestions/preferences, I am certainly no Engineer, but from what we gather there was a problem with too much crammed into such a tiny package. As an Electronic Cigarette Vaper this much I do comprehend, that is Battery Cells NEED absolutely space for what is known as 'Venting' (Vape Cigarette Mods generally use 18650 Batteries, even the larger 26650's). Also there is a technicality such is Heat Sink. Please allow the Experts among you to add input here…

…My main focus is what was and was NOT necessary in the original Galaxy Note 7. What was there in way of Feature that was not at all necessary in such away to take away the fact the Note 7 "had it all".

1) Headphone Jack
I have never owned an iPhone by the way, only ever Samsung Galaxy S2, Note 2 and Note 4, but the Headphone Jack is Ancient Tech. For the past 3 years I have only ever used Bluetooth Headphones (Bluedio brand) with Power Amp and Neutron for 64Bit 'Audiophile' quality sound. These headphones are a fraction of the price of Dr. Dre Beats and yet don't entail a spaghetti junction type deal with long dangling cable wire.
Lose the Headphone Jack. Not necessary. Free up space.

2) IRIS Scanner.
No one asked for it to be implemented. Was it a gimmick/novelty or something more sinister. Regardless, it certainly was NOT needed on such a device, the Note 7 without blows away all competition bar none on it's own. Without IRIS Scanner.

3) Removable Battery - 'Water Resistant'
Again, something sinister, or genuinely a practical convenience?
I am OK either way, I dig water resistance, yet just feel less "Big Brother'ed" with the ability to remove, and if necessary, replace Battery.
Yet I DO love the all-glass design, and would be OK if Battery remained locked in (not sure how many glass panels would have broken if it was a removable plate?)
On a technical side, would Removable Battery actually be "safer"? Again, experts, please chime in.

Well that's it for now. A serious topic, yet fun, what do we "NEED", what do we want and what is not necessary yet still allowing the reputation of the Note 7 (in hindsight) being still "the best Phone available by far"

Thank you.

I easily agree about ditching the headphone jack. Way to easy to buy a pair of inexpensive Bluetooth ear buds.

Please do not take the iris scanner away. This is a great feature and one that I will miss until I get it back on another phone. Worked fast.

Unfortunately we were not able to learn how fast these batteries would degrade over time, which when they do, replacement batteries are very handy. But wow ... I absolutely love the all glass phone. I do not want to lose that, so I will sacrifice the replaceable battery feature.

I also like water resistant in rare cases when it is needed.

Oh ... and give me curves!! Please do not take those away.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
My opinion on these:

- The Iris scanner was unneeded IMO.
- It would be really silly to remove the headphone jack for "space" IMO. Many people use it still, and it uses little "space". All this would accomplish is to remove options for people.
- I love having water resistance, and it should be on all high end phones.
- Removable battery would be nice, but I don't see them reversing course here ...

If the goal is to have more space for a battery .. make it thicker? Wider? 1mm more would be fine.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
The only option id be willing to give up is the "spontaneous combustion" option...

If anything, they should have just made the phone a tiny bit bigger to safely accommodate all the great stuff the phone came with..

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
The headphone jack is better than wireless, in terms of price, ubiquitousness, and quality. It also doesn't take much space.

Iris scanner is 'gimmicky', but... Winter Is Coming.

Removable battery takes more space than non-removable, which means less mah. It also means no glass build. Which means using metal for a lesser design, no wireless charging, and also potentially less water-proofing.

I respectfully disagree with all of them, especially removing audio jack and Samsung turning their backs on glass builds after they spent all that time advertising wireless charging and design.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I would be perfectly fine with removing the headphone jack as long as the USB C was used for output (and hey...HDMI would be nice, too). I mostly (well always now that I think about it) use bluetooth headphones but it would be nice to retain an option for wired should the need arise. And it wouldn't take up any more room...isn't the USB C supposed to be capable of this output already?

Iris Scanner - I could NEVER get that stupid thing to work correctly and in fact, I think it may have caused me a brief bout of vergo. I had also played with VR earlier in the day so it could easily have been that, too...but for me, I do not need or even want the iris scanner. Just didn't work. Ever.

I am o.k. with a non removable battery...but wouldn't have been upset if there was one.

I do not want to give up the water resistance. It's peace of mind for those of us that are worried about life's daily potential challenges (i.e. taking a walk and getting caught in the rain). I wasn't worried about going swimming with it and probably would never even try...but just knowing if it accidentally came into contact with water definitely made me feel better about taking it out for my daily exercise walks, especially when getting caught in a light rain.

ETA: And maybe you think I'm crazy but I wouldn't have cared if it had a plastic back. My fascinate was plastic and I loved that phone. Would make it a little lighter. Don't know if that would have freed up any room for a battery or introduced a whole myriad of other potential issues...but if it would have made manufacture easier/better, I would have been totally fine with plastic.

doodleholic

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
:( While it may not be 'necessary' to everyone, I actually used the iris scanner far more often and reliably than the fingerprint scanner. It was super fast for me on both phones I had, and I hate to give it up.

I'm not ready to give up the headphone jack either. I don't own any bluetooth headphones, nor do I plan to buy any, any time soon.

The battery, well, a removable one would be nice, but it's not make or break for me.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
No way would I want them to part ways with the headphone jack! The water resistance, to me, is unnecessary. I think taking that out would improve speaker quality as well.

Everything else I would have wanted exactly the way they made it, from features to design (minus battery problems of course).

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Iris scanner: Never worked reliably for me; I can easily do without it.
Headphone jack: I use mine every day. I have a wired earbud headset with mic that I use when I am biking. Hard-wired sounds better and it's one less thing that I need to have sitting in a charger on my nightstand every night.
Battery: I'm OK with the N7's battery life. If they made a Note 7.1 that was a few mm thicker to accommodate a safer battery that would be just fine with me.
S Pen: I could learn to live without the stylus. The main reason I got the N7 (and the N3 I had before it) was for the bigger screen.

That's my opinion. :D

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
My 2 cents:
-Iris Scanner - Never used it, never planned on using it. :)
-3.5mm jack, I like options and it was a good backup for my BT earbud (or to use wired earphones for music)
-Glad they brought back SD card slot.
-Battery - removable would have been nice but I could live with non removable.
-Water resistance - To me this should be standard on all phones now (you can seal the phone, add gaskets like on the S4Active or use a chemical treatment inside the phone)
-S-Pen - One of the reasons I have been a Note user from day one.
-Note/Memo consolidation - I got used to the change and was using Screen Off Memo more often.

Cheers,
BR
RIP N7

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Here's a novel idea. How about instead of removing features, they stop trying to make these paper thin phones! This isn't exclusive to my use of the N7, but pretty much any phone I pick up today is so thin I feel like I'm going to snap it in half just trying to maintain a firm grip. Make them a little thicker, with more room for stuff, perhaps even a bigger battery (looking forward to extended battery options on the V20 myself), and that added weight will help you keep a better grip.

rahool360

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
good points but though i diasgree... headphone jack is important(dont say what apple said it will save space plz check what tech reviewers has a say abt it, they did nothing with that space) ...i use both wired and wireless, always need arise for using wired headphones...also like me lot of people might have invested upon studio quality headphones, and i dont want to carry an extra small wire with my phone neither want to invest on another high end headphones either(bluetooth is not close enough to wired headphones)... also i note somebody said make a phone lil thicker for bigger battery....exactly my point too!!! s5 was waterproof it has removable back...so you cannot say waterproof cant be done with removable back and a headphone jack!!! also i dig wireless charging but here in my country ther is no single store that offers a wireless charging place so it is kind of waste for me!!! iris scanner is there or not it doesnt matter, but i have seen most tech videos, it is like a learning thing, it gets much faster on the course of use!!!

Christine Aflak

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Am I the only person that actually loved the Iris scanner?? That thing is so cool and honestly really comes in handy. It worked perfectly all the time, you just have to look at it directly.

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Hate the curved glass and glass back. Tough to put a decent screen protector on and fragile build.

Would like ir blaster and removable battery

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Iris scanner: Never worked reliably for me; I can easily do without it.
Headphone jack: I use mine every day. I have a wired earbud headset with mic that I use when I am biking. Hard-wired sounds better and it's one less thing that I need to have sitting in a charger on my nightstand every night.
Battery: I'm OK with the N7's battery life. If they made a Note 7.1 that was a few mm thicker to accommodate a safer battery that would be just fine with me.
S Pen: I could learn to live without the stylus. The main reason I got the N7 (and the N3 I had before it) was for the bigger screen.

That's my opinion. :D

The s pen makes this phone what it is. Just get the s7 edge. It's basically this phone minus the s pen. Basically....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87