Samsung Crippling the Note 7 in Australia

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't count the people who build the phone (the ones who said "oops we messed up and made a safety hazard") as a "Random Entity" in this case.
Then Samsung should find a way to recover those devices. In fact, in Canada this is precisely the stance of both Health Canada and any consumer protection agency - Samsung and only Samsung is responsible for these devices, period. Not telcos, not point of sale, nobody but Samsung. The New Zealand telcos or any other entities that decide to participate in unilateral blacklisting of IMEIs is complicit in an activity that they have nothing to do with, and in fact hurts their own image in the long run.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Then Samsung should find a way to recover those devices. In fact, in Canada this is precisely the stance of both Health Canada and any consumer protection agency - Samsung and only Samsung is responsible for these devices, period. Not telcos, not point of sale, nobody but Samsung.

So you would be okay with them forcefully recovering it but not pushing an update? You're going on both sides here and it doesn't make sense. A software update is a violation to you but forcefully taking them isn't? They have tried to recover them by telling everyone over and over and over to turn them in due to safety hazards -- Not because they want to be evil and mean. They're taking billions of loss in this. If they want to gimp the device to help prevent further damage to their name even after telling people via notifications, text messages, emails ,etc. then I don't see a huge issue with it.

I would agree there is an issue if it was something dumb or something malicious for them to get more money out of you but that isn't the case.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
So you would be okay with them forcefully recovering it but not pushing an update? You're going on both sides here and it doesn't make sense. A software update is a violation to you but forcefully taking them isn't? They have tried to recover them by telling everyone over and over and over to turn them in due to safety hazards -- Not because they want to be evil and mean. They're taking billions of loss in this. If they want to gimp the device to help prevent further damage to their name even after telling people via notifications, text messages, emails ,etc. then I don't see a huge issue with it.

I would agree there is an issue if it was something dumb or something malicious for them to get more money out of you but that isn't the case.
Or how about this alternative - offer a direct financial incentive to those that do not wish to return the device - some good-will, maybe a 25% discount off of the upcoming S8 or the future Note8 device. Or maybe give everyone a free Gear S3. Work something out. No, what they want to do is have everyone return their phones for some minuscule compensation and without an adequate replacement. I don't agree even by a long shot that Samsung has done everything they can to make this process effective. Measly $25 for the hassle if you refund or $100 off of a year-old device with less functionality but nearly the same price? I could go on how they could do this much better than they are but it really comes down to this - Samsung wants the users and telcos to do the work so they can minimize the cost of the recall. Like I said, let's just agree to disagree.

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Or how about this alternative - offer a direct financial incentive to those that do not wish to return the device - some good-will, maybe a 25% discount off of the upcoming S8 or the future Note8 device. Or maybe give everyone a free Gear S3. Work something out. No, what they want to do is have everyone return their phones for some minuscule compensation and without an adequate replacement. I don't agree even by a long shot that Samsung has done everything they can to make this process effective. Measly $25 for the hassle if you refund or $100 off of a year-old device with less functionality but nearly the same price? I could go on how they could do this much better than they are but it really comes down to this - Samsung wants the users and telcos to do the work so they can minimize the cost of the recall. Like I said, let's just agree to disagree.
Exactly
Agree 100%
We should at least get s7 edge loaners until the S8 arrives
And keep our upgrade eligibility, so we can use it on the s8

If they do that, I'll return it immediately

Try bricking (black-listing) these phones in The United States
And you will have a legal battle in your hands, samsung

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Who said they weren't offering anything? Sounds like you're assuming things :).

jmnesq

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Exactly
Agree 100%
We should at least get s7 edge loaners until the S8 arrives
And keep our upgrade eligibility, so we can use it on the s8

If they do that, I'll return it immediately

Try bricking (black-listing) these phones in The United States
And you will have a legal battle in your hands, samsung

Based on what?

Samsung is giving you the money you paid back for the phones. There is a genuine safety concern, and Samsung will march witnesses out to testify to same.

There are no damages if the Notes are all bricked.

They can...and probably, sadly, will, do so here.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Why am I concerned? Because I am enjoying using the phone.

We all did. None of us wanted to give it up. But we don't need to post new threads each day about how we're worried that some day the phone won't work anymore. That's already pretty much a guarantee. Accept it and either trade it in, or get used to the idea. ALL of us loved the device and enjoyed it. It's not like those who are keeping theirs are the only ones. I've hated using my Note 4 lately, but I knew it was pointless to try to drag it out with the Note 7. It's like keeping a dead pet in the house and refusing to bury it because you refuse to accept it's gone.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Who said they weren't offering anything? Sounds like you're assuming things :).
Do you know something that we don't because every notice posted in Canada offers exactly what I have listed above, which is basically nothing. Genuine question.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Random entities don't get to enforce safety. This is completely nonsensical. They have no legal obligation to do this, no liability. I see this as a matter of protecting access to basic services. This is on top of the fact that the whole argument of "protecting safety" is pretty tired, seeing as we are constantly getting our rights and freedoms taken away in the name of safety, and everyone is either ignorant of it or complicit in it. Anyway, once again let's just agree to disagree as we are not going to see eye-to-eye on this. I strongly believe that this is wrong behavior, and that it sets a precedent.
Their lawyers are the ones being trusted to make this call. Navigating international civil and regulatory law is not intuitive and almost nothing that Samsung can do can violate your rights.

twinsfan1313

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat... Already moved on to the LG v20. Done with Samsung, locked into LG for the next two years....oh by the way... been three weeks since i was supposed to receive my fire proof box....so dumb.

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Those who don't give it up are being very risky and stupid. You just don't know what will happen and when. It's a phone for crying out loud! It's been recalled because there is a problem. Turn it in.

It's almost a given, they can't risk any more people being burned...

I'd just wish they'd give all Note 7 customers a Jump the Line request or non-Verizon carrier equivalent because my Pixel XL 128GB order was delayed until 12/2. I had to settle for a 32GB XL in store just to get rid of the Note 7. They can't be telling people to return their phones and then push back shipping dates by a month. Its the same issue regardless of what phone you are trying to switch to online: Samsung, Apple, or Google. The V20 seems to be well stocked.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Random entities don't get to enforce safety.
This isn't a random entity, it's the entity that designed a phone that overheats the battery in almost all cases, which causes the battery to become a danger to human limb and life. If a Samsung phone took MY leg off (and the damage to your hip CAN be that serious), I'd want more than a replacement phone - or $1 million tax free in cash. This isn't "a few of our phones may be dangerous", it's "a few of our phones may NOT be dangerous". In the US, it's reckless disregard for human safety, possibly for human life - and criminally actionable. (Not totally recalling every Note 7 ever made would be gross negligence on Samsung's part.)

And until this mess all started, I was going to wait until about the beginning of November before deciding whether to get a new Note, even though it didn't have a removable battery, or wait to see what came out next. I guess Samsung's "corner-cutting" made that decision for me. Anyone who designs a phone so that the battery becomes part of the heat sinking (that's the engineering rumors I've been hearing) loses my business as long as the current management still has anything to do with the company. I'll put up with an inferior phone before I put up with a prosthesis instead of a leg.

TomOfTx

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
At least turning in a Note 7 will fetch a full refund of the price paid, unlike owners of the 2.8 million washing machines being recalled by Samsung. I bought one of their now recalled washing machines that was Consumer Reports most recommended model back in May. I have a choice to have an in home repair done or get a rebate towards a new washing machine. Samsung is only offering $793 dollars for a washing machine I bought for $1099 plus tax just 5 months ago! After all the BS with the 2 recalls of the Note 7 and now with a washing machine, I will not consider Samsung my first choice for most items I buy in the future.......though I did just pre-order a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier yesterday! If that sucker ends up having problems then I may say goodbye to Samsung permanently! :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just curious; have there been any recent reports of Note 7 phones catching fire or exploding?

Yes -- sites just aren't reporting them anymore since the issue is done. Samsung has said to shut down and return and has pushed the message a ton along with carriers that it is well known. The phone has been canceled/recalled.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes -- sites just aren't reporting them anymore since the issue is done. Samsung has said to shut down and return and has pushed the message a ton along with carriers that it is well known. The phone has been canceled/recalled.
Show some links to prove what you say about more fires that the media isn't reporting please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa