Is Samsung Pay supported in Switzerland? What's your experiences using when traveling?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Plan to take a trip to Switzerland from US later in year and wondering if Samsung Pay is supported in Switzerland?

Also like to hear peoples experiences when you are using Samsung Pay originally from one country that supports it (US in my case) and wondering if any issues when you go to another country and try to use? Trying to see if some site to list supported countries when traveling but haven't found it yet.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If SPay is supported in your home country for activating cards, it works worldwide. SPay just emulates your credit card and stores temporary tokens in your phone, so as long as you don't go shop-crazy without ever connecting to WiFi or mobile network for a long time, it should be fine. I've used it in China, Mexico, and Vietnam before it was supported for cards in those countries (US card) and had no issues other than trying to convince the cashiers to let you use your phone where they swipe the card.

andytiedye

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
Should work if they still accept transactions via MST. If MST has been phased out there, it would only work if they set up for it.

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Was in Australia in February and used a US based CC as well as an Aussie based bank. All ok. Their POS machines are light years ahead of us in the US... good luck

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Should work if they still accept transactions via MST. If MST has been phased out there, it would only work if they set up for it.
Just clarification, though, MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission) is NOT the same as a credit card terminal's magnetic stripe reader. MST is the tech Samsung uses to emulate and wirelessly transmit a signal that mimics that of a magnetic strip, but the magnetic reader on a terminal is a different thing.

If the terminal doesn't have a magnetic strip reader, chances are it's because it's been upgraded to NFC and Chip, so Samsung Pay would still work through NFC. IF the terminal only accepts chips (highly uncommon and usually because the terminal itself is damaged) or the magnetic strip reader is enclosed (like on US gas pumps), then Samsung Pay wouldn't work.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone for their answers. I guess I didn't think that as long I lived in a country that supported Samsung Pay to be able to activate the service on my phone that once set up it should act like a normal card at terminals that accept NFC or MST no matter where I am. Still a few months away from my trip but looking forward to trying it out elsewhere.

andytiedye

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
German railway ticket machines only accepted chip cards with a PIN last time I tried to use one (and cash 10€ notes or less, not the 20€ the ATMs spit out).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TechBro