Any Note 9 user tempted by the S22 Ultra?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a 512GB Note 9 and gave the new S22 Ultra serious consideration. But I'll probably now wait for the S23 next year. This will definately be my last full year of my faithful Note 9.

I'm still getting reasonable battery life out of my Note 9. I've been a good boy and followed the battery rules, no overnight charging, rarely charged to 100% and rarely discharged below 30%. If I was getting really bad battery life I would have no hesitation upgrading to the S22 Ultra. So that's my saving grace allowing me to keep my Note 9 for another year.

Also, the 8GB RAM has done a great job of keeping the phone running well for the last 3 years. It's as fast loading up and executing content today as it was when I first got it. Unlike my previous S5 with it's meagre 2GB RAM that slowed to a crawl after a couple of years.

But I have to admit the S22 Ultra was awfully tempting. Anyone else?

P.S. I would advise anyone considering the S22 Ultra to not get the 128 GB version but get at least the 256 GB version because that and the 512 GB version have 12 GB RAM. That large RAM is what keeps these newer Android phones running well after years of operation.

Last edited:

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Personally, anyone who loves their Note 9, I would say they should just keep it. You are getting so many features with this device that you just don't get anymore.

If battery life is an issue and one still really wants to keep their Note 9, you could always have the battery swapped. I know it's an older device though. Some people don't care about updates, me being one of them. That said, I wouldn't want any device older than the Note 9 personally.

But it's your choice. Though the S22 Ultra, aka the NOTE 22 Ultra, seems nice, I hate the way that Samsung has gone in terms of features in recent years. I think if I had a Note 9, I would go with a Note 20 Ultra as you can find it for much cheaper, it's still relatively newer and it honestly probably does 99% of what the S22 Ultra can do.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Like the first post, was on the edge of replacing my Note 9. The carrier trade in deals were very alluring. But I do not have, nor need an unlimited plan as that would add another $60 to my monthly bill.

My N9 screen has a small shatter mark on an edge & heavy use will drain the battery. But the S22U comes with a similar rounded edge screen (aware the S22U has updated glass). So feeling will go one more year. Hope the 23 Ultra is great next year.

Also instead of watching new S22 youtube videos. I decided to go back & take the time to learn new uses for the S Pen that I already have. ꈍᴗꈍ

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been very happy with my Note 9, and I like having a headphone jack and micro SD card storage. So I wasn't planning to upgrade now. BUT I checked into it and discovered that Sprint/T-Mobile will give me $800 off with a trade-in of my 128GB Note 9, so I ordered an S22 Ultra 512 GB. Right now I have about 200 GB used between my Note 9 storage and the SD card, so 512 GB should be plenty. And you can get a short adapter cable for 3.5mm to USB-C for headphones. That takes care of my two big objections to the S22.

The S22 Ultra 512 GB will only cost me $500, added to my bill at $20.83/mo. for 24 months. The other $800 is a monthly credit of $33.34/mo. for 24 months, so I am tied in to T-Mobile for that long or I'd have to pay the balance, but I don't plan on going anywhere. I keep my same family plan.

So why upgrade? Better cameras, slightly bigger and brighter screen, 5G, four future Android upgrades, probably faster performance, fresh battery that probably lasts longer, maybe some other smaller improvements. I'm a bit of a tech sl#t, but not enough to get a new phone every year. I could have gone longer, and sort of regret having to send in my Note 9, but this seems like too good a deal to pass up.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I've been very happy with my Note 9, and I like having a headphone jack and micro SD card storage. So I wasn't planning to upgrade now. BUT I checked into it and discovered that Sprint/T-Mobile will give me $800 off with a trade-in of my 128GB Note 9, so I ordered an S22 Ultra 512 GB. Right now I have about 200 GB used between my Note 9 storage and the SD card, so 512 GB should be plenty. And you can get a short adapter cable for 3.5mm to USB-C for headphones. That takes care of my two big objections to the S22.

The S22 Ultra 512 GB will only cost me $500, added to my bill at $20.83/mo. for 24 months. The other $800 is a monthly credit of $33.34/mo. for 24 months, so I am tied in to T-Mobile for that long or I'd have to pay the balance, but I don't plan on going anywhere. I keep my same family plan.

So why upgrade? Better cameras, slightly bigger and brighter screen, 5G, four future Android upgrades, probably faster performance, fresh battery that probably lasts longer, maybe some other smaller improvements. I'm a bit of a tech sl#t, but not enough to get a new phone every year. I could have gone longer, and sort of regret having to send in my Note 9, but this seems like too good a deal to pass up.

My carrier in Australia offers a lousy $75 for my unmarked 512 GB Note 9, so no incentive there for me. I'm also likely to hold onto it for another year and definately get an S23 variant. This will be my last whole year of my trusty and well performing Note 9.

There should be new camera sensors and modules next year. Samsung already has developed its 200 MP camera sensor which should be in production next year. Motorola will release phones later this year with 200 MP camera sensors, so Sammy should be moving on from it's 108 MP modules which has been used for 3 years now. Something to look forward to.

As an aside, we shouldn't assume there will be an S23 Ultra with an integrated S pen. Maybe Sammy will run this as an experiment for the S22 Ultra to gauge the public feedback and sales. If this combining of S Ultra and Note doesn't sell well and doesn't have good public support, no doubt Samsung will scrap it next year. And perhaps maybe make the battery capacity larger in lieu of the S pen. An S23 Ultra/Note should not be assumed as the S22 Ultra is the first time Samsung has integrated the S pen with an S flagship. It may or may not be successful.

Last edited:

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site

You must have Magenta Max or whatever it's called. I could get 1000 for my Note 10+ if I traded it into T-Mobile. That is, IF I had the Magenta Max plan which costs more. I pay a little over 100 a month, so having my bill go from that to 150 a month is a no go lol

Now if I could get this on an already existing plan... I'd do it without hesitation.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
As an aside, we shouldn't assume there will be an S23 Ultra with an integrated S pen. Maybe Sammy will run this as an experiment for the S22 Ultra to gauge the public feedback and sales. If this combining of S Ultra and Note doesn't sell well and doesn't have good public support, no doubt Samsung will scrap it next year. And perhaps maybe make the battery capacity larger in lieu of the S pen. An S23 Ultra/Note should not be assumed as the S22 Ultra is the first time Samsung has integrated the S pen with an S flagship. It may or may not be successful.

Now that I'm taking the time to learn how to use the S Pen @ 3.5 years into ownership, they better include it in the S23U. ??????

I was able to see the S22U demo in a store this past weekend. It was difficult to not pre order one.

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site

I have T-Mobile but I don't think they are going to give me $800 how did you get that I have 128gb note 9 with them as well. We do have one military for our plan. A lot of them want you to upgrade to magenta Max which would cost us another $40 a month on our four lines. Don't really need to do that as it really doesn't offer much more than what we already have.

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Wow just wasted so much time on a chat with T-Mobile. Their customer service has really gone downhill. They wanted to give me $86 trade-in for my note 9 128 GB phone. I asked simple questions and got mathematical equations. I asked for the cost of the phone minus my trade-in minus any deal equal cost of the phone. Instead they gave me $50 a month times 24 but you’ll get this for so many months so then it’ll equal $37 a month times 24 blah blah blah. So it looks at the most they will give us $400 so they subtract the $86 trade-in amount from that. It’s just funky math.

I also did a chat with Samsung theirs was just as bad. So they would give me $220 for my trade-in but then they only take $100 off the price of the phone which I think was $100 higher than T-Mobile. So they were $100 higher but they have a $250 credit you can use on accessories. There’s none of those I need that I know of.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
veggie59, it looks like you could use the trade in promo where they would give you 400 for the Note 9. For the next step up, I could get 500 dollars off with my Note 10+, but they don't give you an option to finance. I don't have 1000 dollars for a phone lol

And yes, all the best trade ins require you to be on Magenta max. I am on the grandfathered in plan of 2 lines unlimited for 100 dollars, but for whatever reason I pay like 115 a month, so having my plan go up to 150 month not even including the financed amount of the phone, isn't worth it.

abcomputing

Jan 15, 2021
Visit site
I'm with at&t. Was interested with the $800 trade-in but didn't really want to get rid of my note 9 (I like having a good "spare" backup on hand). Dug into it more and found that an old "spare" S7 Edge I still had also qualified for the $800. Not quite believing it and not wanting to get screwed, I went to the at&t store to do the deal and it was legit. Getting the $800 trade-in on the S7 Edge made up my mind, and the store will accept my trade so I don't have to ship anything.

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
veggie59, it looks like you could use the trade in promo where they would give you 400 for the Note 9. For the next step up, I could get 500 dollars off with my Note 10+, but they don't give you an option to finance. I don't have 1000 dollars for a phone lol

And yes, all the best trade ins require you to be on Magenta max. I am on the grandfathered in plan of 2 lines unlimited for 100 dollars, but for whatever reason I pay like 115 a month, so having my plan go up to 150 month not even including the financed amount of the phone, isn't worth it.

Yes they said that it is $400 -$86 of my trade-in with some other funky math that they would deduct from the $50 a month for 24 month payment it’s came out to $36 and change for 24 months that I would need to pay after the credit. That was equaling $880 roughly for the phone. Plus the expert upgrade fee of $30 and another $78 in taxes or so that I would have to pay upfront. So to me that is $1000 for a phone

Last edited:

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm with at&t. Was interested with the $800 trade-in but didn't really want to get rid of my note 9 (I like having a good "spare" backup on hand). Dug into it more and found that an old "spare" S7 Edge I still had also qualified for the $800. Not quite believing it and not wanting to get screwed, I went to the at&t store to do the deal and it was legit. Getting the $800 trade-in on the S7 Edge made up my mind, and the store will accept my trade so I don't have to ship anything.

Wow you’re lucky I wonder why T-Mobile‘s only doing up to $400 with trade-in. Samsung will give me $220 for a trade-in but less of a deal, T-Mobile will give me $86 for a trade-in but more of a deal but not much

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
It's really a bummer that the Note 9 isn't going to be supported much longer. I am sure there are plenty of people who don't care about that though and will use the phone until it's beyond repair lol

Samsung should have really given the N9 Android 11 for one last hurrah.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Wow you’re lucky I wonder why T-Mobile‘s only doing up to $400 with trade-in. Samsung will give me $220 for a trade-in but less of a deal, T-Mobile will give me $86 for a trade-in but more of a deal but not much

The Verizon & ATT trade in deals require you to either have or move up to an Unlimited plan & the $800 is deducted monthly for sticking around for 36 months of service. At least the latter is true on the ATT side. For me, I would spend more taking that deal than paying cash for the S22 Ultra & sticking with my current plan. That is why I am waiting until the software updates are completely expired on the Note 9 to move to the next phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa