Bixby vs. Google Assistant

OmegaSparks

Aug 17, 2018
Visit site
Which do you prefer more and why? I am leaning more towards Google Assistant because it seems like it can do more, but just not sure of what the pros and cons of each are.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
To over-generalize:

Bixby is for on-phone navigation, options, and operation. Google Assistant is for everything else, it excels at internet-based queries and actions.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
IMHO Bixby is still a toy, and the button is an annoyance. It works decent for device commands "open the camera and take a selfie" but it's slow to complete the tasks and if you already have your phone in your hand, why bother? And now that the S-Pen can be configured for remote tasks, it will only get activated on my phone when I accidentally hit the dam* button! It's tight integration with Samsung apps is also a turn-off to me because I don't exclusively use Samsung apps.

Google Assistant is no Jarvis but it's the most useful of the four major AI Bots for everyday tasks to me, with Cortana being a close second. It's great for reminders, and geofencing (remind me when I get to the store to get dog food) works well too.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Bixby controls the phone better and deeper, Google Assistant for anything that requires information from the internet. For example, Bixby can even emulate your finger controls of swiping up and down. Let's say I'm cooking and I'm looking at a recipe on the phone but my hands are full. I can tell Bixby to swipe up to scroll the webpage I'm looking at. But if you're looking for specific information on the internet and to interact directly with your Google services, Google Assistant would be faster.

As it is right now, they both can do things the other can't, or at least better in some ways. As such they complement each other nicely.

What's great about Bixby though is that Samsung opened the SDK to third party developers. So that means app developers on the play store can bake in Bixby commands directly into their app, which Google Assistant won't be able to control right now AFAIK. So far though, only Instagram, Facebook and Twitter has taken advantage of this AFAIK. You can go, "Bixby, write on John's wall that the guys are going out for a beer tonight.", Or "Open Twitter and look for Donald Trump Memes".

However, looking for information and news and other things still has Bixby failing miserably.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Bixby and Google assistant work well together. Lately I'm using Bixby more. Especially after learning about custom commands and scripting from reading these Note 9 threads.