S pen not working on small part of screen

Tony9ball

Sep 1, 2018
Visit site
It seems like there is a tiny area of screen where my s pen won't write. Using s note or Samsung notes I have to press extra hard on a small area of the screen, about half way diwn and on the left edge.
I have tried it on a drawing app and it still does not work properly on that area, so tried it with my finger and it works OK. So very confusing why this small area does not seem to like the s pen.
Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?
Thanks

Richard Stewart79

Sep 3, 2018
Visit site
Do you have a screen protector on. It will hinder the screen sensitivity and you can go into settings and adjust it. This can happen with some screen protectors . I think whitestone dome is the BBC est as it is glued to the screen and won't affect sensitivity

Tony9ball

Sep 1, 2018
Visit site
No, I don't have screen protector. It was the case I was using causing the issue as it must have a small magnet. Back to my Obliq case for me.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Sorry everyone, found out why. If this happens to you, try phone without case as case must have a magnet.

Glad you figured it out. We get these questions when almost every note phone comes out. And it's usually a case with a magnet or screen protector. In no way am I complaining about your question since I said we get them with almost every note. Just saying it's common to get this question:)

eburke87

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
I have had my Note 9 for just about 2 mos. now, have never dropped/dinged it in anyway & have NEVER used a case with any magnet in it all, whether it mounting or flip-cover-closing or any kind of magnets. I have come to find that same dime-sized round area, roughly counting appx 4 fingertip widths down from the top edge of the screen where it meets the black bar area just north of the screen, & 2 fingertip widths in front the left screen edge where it meets the black. I have had only 2 cases i've ever used- the first of which was a crystal clear silicone bumper, -0& the second is the Samsung- developed see through flip cover standard offer phone case the most knowledgable & experienced retailers commonly suggest as the best & really only case that should be bought & used with these phones, (plus, just merely because it's the best case to upsell when working commission as its the most expensive directly made by & for use with Samsung devices).
It's probably also worth noting that my area of malfunction seems to be in the same spot. I discovered mine using the Samsung S-Pen in the Coloring feature option provided as a recommended pop-up item to list when customizing your S-Pen pop-up list upon taking the pen out for use. I'd be curious to see how many others unknowingly might find they have the same issue, in the same spot, by testing the way I discovered it was present on my device. Pick a picture to coloring, pick the marker coloring utensil with a realistic point to it so it will function as if a reg marker would when coloring day with an extra fine point sharpie marker, scroll as far in on the biggest white space on the page filling the screen with all white space on the coloring page and try coloring in the entire white space pictured on your screen. If you're seriously interested in testing this, I'd also suggest also trying the exact same process with the pencil utensil in identical fine point. I find that area can be most evidently frustrating on either/or for both utensils depending on my hand-control capabilities for each day as I have carpal tunnel as I'm an artist.

Kerminator

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
Sorry everyone, found out why. If this happens to you, try phone without case as case must have a magnet.

YOU'RE RIGHT!!!
THANKS!!!
I was losing my mind trying to figure out what happened. I have a new case with a magnet for the motorcycle. That's exactly where it won't write. I have a HUGE circle right in the middle of my screen where stylus nor finger will write.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
SPen interacts with the electromagnetic field generated by the phones screen, magnets interrupt that field and interfere with the Pen.

Somjai Zheng

Sep 25, 2021
Visit site
It seems like there is a tiny area of screen where my s pen won't write. Using s note or Samsung notes I have to press extra hard on a small area of the screen, about half way diwn and on the left edge.
I have tried it on a drawing app and it still does not work properly on that area, so tried it with my finger and it works OK. So very confusing why this small area does not seem to like the s pen.
Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?
Thanks

I agree. I have the same problem. I googled it and found your post. I contacted Samsung. I get keep getting text. Samsung is suck.

Somjai Zheng

Sep 25, 2021
Visit site
Do you have a screen protector on. It will hinder the screen sensitivity and you can go into settings and adjust it. This can happen with some screen protectors . I think whitestone dome is the BBC est as it is glued to the screen and won't affect sensitivity

I'm glad I found this. I took off my case and it works. The pen works. Thank you.

Nilangas

Apr 10, 2022
Visit site
I have the same problem from recently. But this is without any covers. I had a water damage problem. Even the screen had lines. After it dried up everything is back to normal except S is not working in some parts of the screen. Its a Note 10 plus though. Please help, Thanks.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem from recently. But this is without any covers. I had a water damage problem. Even the screen had lines. After it dried up everything is back to normal except S is not working in some parts of the screen. Its a Note 10 plus though. Please help, Thanks.

Almost 100% guaranteed it's the water damage. There's an active digitizer layer on the screen that produces a magnetic field to interact with the pen, odds are it didn't recover when the phone dried out.

You could try safe mode and even a factory reset to rule out a software glitch, but I highly doubt its a software problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cvetan_78