Super Sad

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
That's just bad luck. :(

I have a Whitestone Dome Glass Protector and a dbrand Black Camo skin along with a Rhinoshield Crashguard Bumper protecting my Note 9.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
going up on an escalator, it slips off my hand, drop to the front escalator maybe from 10 inches tops
Thanks, but what I meant was, how did it slip from your hand? Did someone bang into you, did you have a loose grip, or something else? That's the sort of detail that tells us what to do differently to avoid similar incidents in the future.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
WOW. shoulder height fall with NO case on the S7 edge and NO damage. Wow. I'm assuming the TPU case OnePlus included was one of those really cheap thin ones. Don't give my protection.

Pretty much, there IS a little bit of a lip, but it can easily be pushed out of the way. Also sometimes you just get lucky and sometimes you don't!

sygnus21

Aug 19, 2018
Visit site
Judging by the picture it's a strong chance a glass protector would of saved it but who knows...I had my whitestone dome glass protector same day I got my note ...

Pure speculation on your part. It's like saying going out at 7 instead of 8 would have prevented an accident. You've no idea what will happen till it happens.

And BTW, my clumsy daughter (when it comes to phones) has broken many an iPhone screen with its "screen protectors" and hard cases. It happens.

no insurance, plus if had the att or Samsung one they would just change the screen too

The average deductible for home owners insurance is around $500 (mine is) and filing a claim could raise your rates. There's also the matter of what constitutes a payable claim. And that would depend on what's written into to policy and what you're paying for.

In the end it's probably just best to pay out of pocket.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Pure speculation on your part. It's like saying going out at 7 instead of 8 would have prevented an accident. You've no idea what will happen till it happens.

And BTW, my clumsy daughter (when it comes to phones) has broken many an iPhone screen with its "screen protectors" and hard cases. It happens.

The average deductible for home owners insurance is around $500 (mine is) and filing a claim could raise your rates. There's also the matter of what constitutes a payable claim. And that would depend on what's written into to policy and what you're paying for.

Did you see in my post that I said a glass screen protector guarantees a screen from breaking? Read my post again .. strong chance it could of saved it but who knows , a glass screen protector saved few of my phones in the past

Edit:
Its like driving in a car without seat belt and getting into a accident you can survive maybe banged up pretty bad , but if you had your seat belt and airbag to protect you it's a 95% chance you wont get hurt and walk away

Last edited:

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I'll make sure to not get one of those. A lot of the cases are useless. If the phone doesn't land perfectly flat 9 times out of 10 you're f'd. Especially if it hits the corner of something. I smashed my 8 the same way.

BTW, I do have samsung care or whatever they contract with that 3rd party company. The replacement I got feels like a bootleg Note 8, def refurbished, just fyi.
This is exactly why I have insurance. Pay the deductible and get a brand new phone.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
so this happened to me today I drop the phone less than 8 inches in an escalator and it completed destroyed the screen the pictures don't really do justice... is gonna be $200 to fixed :'(
View attachment 291118View attachment 291119

That right there is why I no longer use UAG cases. I had one on my N8, dropped it in a parking lot and my luck, a tiny rock was waiting. Entire section of the screen destroyed. Paid $200 for a replacement and DROPPED THAT ONE 2 months later which completely destroyed the entire screen.

Somedays the screen would work, most days it wouldn't. Had to jury rig the thing to work for 2 months while I waited for the N9. Now, I go full coverage all the way around, ESPECIALLY on the screen. Never taking chances anymore.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...-cases-for-smartphones-tablets&token=Y5pvFvJf

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Making claims on small losses is the best way to get your homeowners insurance cancelled as well. Unless there is some special rider or clause stating your insurance will not go up for claiming a specific item.
You may have a smaller deductible for certain items. But, in the end, you are deemed a higher risk whenever you file a claim.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the lesson here is don't put your phone in a position to have a greater chance of being dropped and have insurance just in case.
The one time I was out of my element a few months ago, my phone was in a different spot in the dark. I reached for it and it fell to the floor. First screen crack ever. It happens.
I don't put much faith into screen protectors and cases. I use cases for better grip to not drop it and for a little protection just shuffling around and placing down on the table or wherever I'm using it.

DirtMcGirt

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
On ATT and Asurion, they are brand new. I have had to replace my phone the last 2 years in a row due to saltwater. Both times were brand new and overnighted.

False.

Like I said in an earlier post in this thread I dropped my Note 8 shortly after delivery. Asurion sent me a refurb (clearly stated on the box) and it did NOT feel the same at all. Kind of like it was lighter bootleg version that was glued together. The edges we're not smooth. I ignored it and have the 9 now... but just letting you know. If you got a brand new one, consider yourself lucky.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
False.

Like I said in an earlier post in this thread I dropped my Note 8 shortly after delivery. Asurion sent me a refurb (clearly stated on the box) and it did NOT feel the same at all. Kind of like it was lighter bootleg version that was glued together. The edges we're not smooth. I ignored it and have the 9 now... but just letting you know. If you got a brand new one, consider yourself lucky.
That's bad. I've been fortunate I've never received a refurb unit. They even let me get a different color.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Did you get it fixed? You can buy the Armadillotek Note 9 case. I got it and it has raised edges all around the phone. Defender is okay too but sides are night like the Armadillotek that are raised.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
False.

I never liked assurion, but most of the USA carriers seem to use them.

You are aware that Samsung charges $250 without insurance to replace the screen. Approx $50 more than what you paid minus the monthly insurance fees.