Note 9 - How to prevent certain seeing from being turned off?

Jared Hammel

Nov 7, 2018
Visit site
I got my son a Galaxy Note 9 for his birthday. He's 14. I have the Note 8 and I like the chat feature because I can see if he received/read my messages. The only problem is that it only works if he has a data connection. I also monitor is WiFi usage at home to see if he is still awake past his bedtime. I don't want to take his phone and if I block his connection he can still use data. I notice that he has been turning off his WiFi and mobile data then saying he never got my texts. Is there any way to prevent him from turning off his WiFi and mobile data? As well as other settings?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe so. Also it sounds like you have a pretty savvy kid, he would probably figure out a way out of anything you do.

Perhaps the move is to tell him he can't NOT turn off those features and IF you catch his violating that then you take some sort of action, such as a timeout from the phone, or some other sort of restriction?

But I really don't think you can protect those settings at least not that I am aware of. I'll ask around though. :)

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
When we were all on Android, I tried several times to lock my sons device down (Nexus 6 at that time). I tried a combination of free and paid apps, and none of them did what I wanted, including some of the items you mentioned.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the original Galaxy Note forum to the Note9 forum. (And sorry, I accidentally hit the Close Thread button first, then quickly reopened it -- in case you're wondering why you might have gotten a PM saying the thread was closed. :-\ )

Jared Hammel

Nov 7, 2018
Visit site
Thank you all for the replies. I'm thinking I might just move it out of the button grid and put an app on his phone to lock the settings app.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but the phone has to be rooted and you have to know what you're doing (and, if I remember correctly [it's been a while since I added things to the buttons - deleting them would be the same] you have to understand SQL and know how to use a SQLite editor). It's really just a matter of deleting the name of the button from the list of buttons. But I wouldn't recommend it for a non-programmer - you could end up with a non-functional phone.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Who is your carrier? They might offer a feature to help you manage data usage that way he can still receive texts and calls only. Then from there use parental controls for your WiFi. If he turns off his phone then even better. Just put an intercom in his room then.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I use snapchat with my kids. I can see when they look at my messages and I can see there location on snamap. They are not allowed to go ghost mode unless they want me to take their phone. Easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martinst-uk