Unlocked Question

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I’ve seen a lot of feature driven threads regarding unlocked vs. carrier Note 9’s. My question is more specific to signal strength. With Verizon branded phones we seem to hover around 2 bars of strength but on the unlocked Note 9 it’s Zero or 1. Would a carrier version make a difference or is this some sort of carrier smoke and mirrors to make their signal appear stronger to make people feel confident with their coverage? Main concern is no WiFi calling with unlocked phones and if the signal is denigrated on the unlocked phones it’s not going to work where I live.

Thanks for all the info.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I’ve seen a lot of feature driven threads regarding unlocked vs. carrier Note 9’s. My question is more specific to signal strength. With Verizon branded phones we seem to hover around 2 bars of strength but on the unlocked Note 9 it’s Zero or 1. Would a carrier version make a difference or is this some sort of carrier smoke and mirrors to make their signal appear stronger to make people feel confident with their coverage? Main concern is no WiFi calling with unlocked phones and if the signal is denigrated on the unlocked phones it’s not going to work where I live.

Thanks for all the info.

I have TMobile version , but flashed the unlocked rom, yeah TMobile version showed more bars but never had connection problem on the unlocked version .I think those indicators for signal is a reference just like the lights in your car come on when your oil low but don't know how low . That's why they call them ***** lights on cars by time they warm you it's to late lol .. but I think you'll be fine you can download one of the signal apps to see how strong it is ,that way you have better understanding how strong signal you have . Hope this helps

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have TMobile version , but flashed the unlocked rom, yeah TMobile version showed more bars but never had connection problem on the unlocked version .I think those indicators for signal is a reference just like the lights in your car come on when your oil low but don't know how low . That's why they call them ***** lights on cars by time they warm you it's to late lol .. but I think you'll be fine you can download one of the signal apps to see how strong it is ,that way you have better understanding how strong signal you have . Hope this helps

I just checked my iPhone and it’s running numbers similar to what the actual DN ratings were on the Note. Apparently we live in a crappy area regarding signal. That’s the issue with me ditching my iPhone is with WiFi I at least can send messages with my parents and sisters with iMessage. Getting them to use another platform is like reconstructing Atlantis. And sending texts with the Note wouldn’t be awesome. But the area I’m in is getting more developed with new housing/residential neighborhoods that are quite higher end so maybe that will make Verizon add a new tower near us. Lol

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just checked my iPhone and it’s running numbers similar to what the actual DN ratings were on the Note. Apparently we live in a crappy area regarding signal. That’s the issue with me ditching my iPhone is with WiFi I at least can send messages with my parents and sisters with iMessage. Getting them to use another platform is like reconstructing Atlantis. And sending texts with the Note wouldn’t be awesome. But the area I’m in is getting more developed with new housing/residential neighborhoods that are quite higher end so maybe that will make Verizon add a new tower near us. Lol

That sucks being in a bad signal area.
I have my iPhone x compared to my note 9 the note always got me better signal and I'm on tmobile with those 2 phones, I guess it's where your located how your signal going to be but if your getting same signal as the note 9 then better go with phone that better fits you that's what counts.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
That sucks being in a bad signal area.
I have my iPhone x compared to my note 9 the note always got me better signal and I'm on tmobile with those 2 phones, I guess it's where your located how your signal going to be but if your getting same signal as the note 9 then better go with phone that better fits you that's what counts.

It’s probably fine either way. Just no more making fun of my dad with socially inappropriate GIFs while at home.

But honestly I don’t use WiFi calling so if the DBs on the Note 9 are the same it isn’t a deal breaker. I’ve not dropped a call yet at the house since moving here this past summer.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It’s probably fine either way. Just no more making fun of my dad with socially inappropriate GIFs while at home.

But honestly I don’t use WiFi calling so if the DBs on the Note 9 are the same it isn’t a deal breaker. I’ve not dropped a call yet at the house since moving here this past summer.

Samsung has it's Gifs in the keyboard.
That's good no dropped calls , then probably your going be ok.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has it's Gifs in the keyboard.
That's good no dropped calls , then probably your going be ok.

Not a question if they have GIFs. With texting sending media/GIFs is a nightmare. That’s why I was joking about not sending them at home. Lol

I had a Note 8 with AT&T before we switched to Verizon and I really miss my Samsung. Lol

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Not a question if they have GIFs. With texting sending media/GIFs is a nightmare. That’s why I was joking about not sending them at home. Lol

I had a Note 8 with AT&T before we switched to Verizon and I really miss my Samsung. Lol

Lol .. gotcha
Thats true