I have a Pixel 3 XL and iPhone XR so why do I want a Note 9?

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have the 3xl, xs max and note 9 and am using the note 9 right now.

It ticks more boxes and it's just a cool gadget so you may as well power buy now. March and the S10 are just so far away!

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Wait about a month and grab an S10+ and hopefully a Note 9 even more discounted than they are now, subsidise the purchases by selling the 2 inferior devices you have now, then upgrade to Note 10 later and subsidise that by trading in or selling the Note 9

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
One thing I miss about the Note series now that I've switched to the Pixel (the 2 with Camera 3 is good enough for me) is that you can stow the stylus in the phone and always have it. I have styli for the Pixel, but I'm always leaving them all home.

As for Samsung Pay (or even Google Pay), it might be nice, but I shop at Walmart, and their POS terminals allow their app to scan the QR code and you're done. (I get to a terminal, scan, put the phone away and start ringing stuff up. And I'm still waiting for the local stores [they did discover the 20th century, so there's hope] to install the software in the store that allows me to use their other app to scan as I shop, then just scan the QR code and I'm done, everything already scanned and bagged.) But other stores? I've shopped at one other one in the past year, and I'm going to be shopping at another one one of these days - and neither one has NFC card readers. Neither do any of my doctors. So Samsung and Google Pay wouldn't do me any good.

But my Note 3 still works and, with the replacement battery (it's over 5 years old and, no matter how good you are with batteries, you can't close the case on a swollen battery even it it does still hold a good charge) I could have it up and running (and clipped to my belt) in less than 2 minutes. I still have "stylus envy".)

But if you're jonesing for the Note10, and you can still pay your bills after you buy one, who are we to tell you how to spend your money? Go for it. And enjoy.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I miss Samsung Pay :). I have read that various folks are having camera issues with the Note 9...
Yep, fixed my note 9 and sold it. Had to go through 2 note 9s that had the same exact problem. Worst Note experience EVER and I had every note since note 3. I am now using pixel 3 xl. Love it too. Will hold out until Note 10 to see if that stupid camera module design issue is gone there.

Camera on pixel 3 xl is amazing. Happy with the phone for the next few months

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep, fixed my note 9 and sold it. Had to go through 2 note 9s that had the same exact problem. Worst Note experience EVER and I had every note since note 3. I am now using pixel 3 xl. Love it too. Will hold out until Note 10 to see if that stupid camera module design issue is gone there.

Camera on pixel 3 xl is amazing. Happy with the phone for the next few months
What's wrong with the camera? I have a note 8 and am thinking about upgrading but waiting for s10+ before making any decisions.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I'm nuts! I used to have the Note 8...I've been through so many phones as I know y'all have...and I thought I was content with my 2 phones....but nooooo....I miss using the Note and Samsung pay so now I'm obsessing over either the Note 9 or waiting for the 10. I think what got me started was when I first started having call quality issues with the Pixel. Don't get me wrong...the camera is astounding with the Pixel 3xl...and overall it's a good phone but it's got some issues...I guess they all do. So anyway...sell me on the Note 9....

I had an iPhone XR and Note 9 and I'm currently on the Pixel 3 XL, and my favorite phone of the three is the Note 9. It's the best all around device. The iPhone XR was great for battery life, but its display, single camera, and lack of 4x4 MIMO ruined it for me. The Pixel 3 XL is great. It has a great display, the cameras are amazing, and it gets monthly security updates, but it's like the iPhone of Android. It bores me. I really like the Note 9 because of the S Pen. I liked pinning my Notes on the home screen and getting access to them quickly. And if I have a thought that I'd like to remember, it's easier to pull the S Pen out and write it down than squeezing the sides of the Pixel 3 XL to bring up Google Assistant and dictating what I want on a list that can be hard to find. I may grab a Note 9 this weekend by trading in my Pixel 3 XL. I'm not sure yet.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I had an iPhone XR and Note 9 and I'm currently on the Pixel 3 XL, and my favorite phone of the three is the Note 9. It's the best all around device. The iPhone XR was great for battery life, but its display, single camera, and lack of 4x4 MIMO ruined it for me. The Pixel 3 XL is great. It has a great display, the cameras are amazing, and it gets monthly security updates, but it's like the iPhone of Android. It bores me. I really like the Note 9 because of the S Pen. I liked pinning my Notes on the home screen and getting access to them quickly. And if I have a thought that I'd like to remember, it's easier to pull the S Pen out and write it down than squeezing the sides of the Pixel 3 XL to bring up Google Assistant and dictating what I want on a list that can be hard to find. I may grab a Note 9 this weekend by trading in my Pixel 3 XL. I'm not sure yet.

Do it

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have both the Note 9 and the Pixel 3 XL at the moment. I honestly can't decide between the two. I was going to sell the Pixel but it really has grown on me. Can't say the camera is that much better on the Pixel - but Samsung ruins things with software post processing. Wished they didn't do that at least in the Pro Mode.

As I have a tightly integrated smart home environment based on Google Home Hubs (and Lenovo Smart Displays), reminders end up there anyway so the Note9 notes and reminders don't do much for me. I love the stylus for work though - we use OneNote at our school and being able to grade essays with the stylus is truly fantastic - I don't constantly have to pull out the Surface Pro anymore.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

Not yet. I pulled out my Apple Watch Series 4 and gave a sigh as I held that $525 paperweight in my hand. Now I don't know what to do. The AW Series 4 would be more useful for my lifestyle than the stylus on the Note 9, in all honesty. Maybe i should pick up another XR.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I have both the Note 9 and the Pixel 3 XL at the moment. I honestly can't decide between the two. I was going to sell the Pixel but it really has grown on me. Can't say the camera is that much better on the Pixel - but Samsung ruins things with software post processing. Wished they didn't do that at least in the Pro Mode.

As I have a tightly integrated smart home environment based on Google Home Hubs (and Lenovo Smart Displays), reminders end up there anyway so the Note9 notes and reminders don't do much for me. I love the stylus for work though - we use OneNote at our school and being able to grade essays with the stylus is truly fantastic - I don't constantly have to pull out the Surface Pro anymore.

Well I have Google home too and there's an app for that...as you know...just put it on the Note.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Not yet. I pulled out my Apple Watch Series 4 and gave a sigh as I held that $525 paperweight in my hand. Now I don't know what to do. The AW Series 4 would be more useful for my lifestyle than the stylus on the Note 9, in all honesty. Maybe i should pick up another XR.

Can you justify both? I have my XR for work.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Lol you're as "bad" as me....so how's the camera?

The 3XL is the best camera of the 3 for sure. Not done any scientific tests but it just seems to nail anything that you throw at it and night sight is just witchcraft. Some will say you can get the google camera apk on other phones but I have never managed to get it working properly.

The Note is the better all round device though and even with an apple watch the iPhone is just a little boring.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

You don't have to explain to me! I wear my AW4 every single day and it's the one thing I do actually love about apple, although I hate the design of it. I want a smartwatch that looks like a watch and all the Android smartwatches look like a true watch.

How do u go from a display that amazing on a note 9 to an iPhone XR LCD??? I couldn't live without the OLED display so I rather stick to my 1.5 year old X, however I do love the size of the XR, battery life and portrait mode camera.

My question to you is why haven't you sold the AW yet?!?! Can't seem to bring yourself to sell it huh?

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
You don't have to explain to me! I wear my AW4 every single day and it's the one thing I do actually love about apple, although I hate the design of it. I want a smartwatch that looks like a watch and all the Android smartwatches look like a true watch.

How do u go from a display that amazing on a note 9 to an iPhone XR LCD??? I couldn't live without the OLED display so I rather stick to my 1.5 year old X, however I do love the size of the XR, battery life and portrait mode camera.

My question to you is why haven't you sold the AW yet?!?! Can't seem to bring yourself to sell it huh?

I didn't sell the AW because I knew I'd be back on Apple at some point this year just because I suck at holding onto a phone for more than a few months.

As for the display, I can live with it. I actually didn't have any complaints about the XR when I had it. Everything I listed above was just nitpicking and not deal breakers.

But now I see the 512GB Note 9 is $200 off for the unlocked version at Best Buy, same price on Amazon...

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPhone XS which I paid 1200+ for it. After using it for three months, I switched back. I don't think anything can beat the note series, although there are lots of competition out there, I think the note just does a good job at what it was meant to do. Kills me everyday looking at my unused iPhone XS in the box. Still debating if I should sell it and recoup some money.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty