Verizon- pie update?

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I was confused at first as well. In the past you would have to Odin say ATT software onto T-Mobile, Verizon, etc. and then when your carrier's version came out you would have to odin back and update. If this was the case now, I also would have waited, but its not and was a breeze. But with this update it is universal so everything in my case, still says t-mobile, all t-mobile features still there, etc.

As far as bugs found, I would guess the only way they would not roll out would be if some major bug was found that only affected Verizon then would have to fix prior, otherwise small stuff fixed on next.

Iceystreeeet

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
Yes you are correct carriers use to have custom firmware which added lots of bloat as of right now developers are in talks to be able to disable and or remove bloat from there roms. Samsung is heavy on user experience I mean the new UI... took them 9 months to fine tune and test. I'd say in the coming updates carriers wont really matter and sooner or later we will get a the batch updates like users who have international variants.

Neal Smith

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh I totally am. But if this was how it was supposed to be, then each carrier wouldn't bother releasing their own software. One would release it and then people would just load it onto an SD card and flash it. So stop pushing people to do something that makes no sense. Seriously. You look silly.

He's not pushing you to do anything... if you can't figure out how to do it then wait for Verizon to push it to your phone.

tjubb

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
update went smoothly but a couple issues. (1). battery life seems to have taken a major hit. I go from 100% to 70% alot quicker than previously. I can't put numbers on it or quantify it but initial impressions are much poorer battery life. Will continue to monitor. (2) and most problematic is now the camera when going into 2x zoom mode. I hear an audible buzz and can feel a slight vibration and the camera can't seem to lock on and focus. If I shake the phone it will sometimes fix itself and lock on to the subject and the "buzz" goes away. It seems like the zoom lens gets stuck. I searched on this and seemed to be problem back in September/October when the phone was first released. I haven't dropped the phone and this certainly seems to be a hardware issue but oddly, was not a problem pre-Pie updates. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
update went smoothly but a couple issues. (1). battery life seems to have taken a major hit. I go from 100% to 70% alot quicker than previously. I can't put numbers on it or quantify it but initial impressions are much poorer battery life. Will continue to monitor. (2) and most problematic is now the camera when going into 2x zoom mode. I hear an audible buzz and can feel a slight vibration and the camera can't seem to lock on and focus. If I shake the phone it will sometimes fix itself and lock on to the subject and the "buzz" goes away. It seems like the zoom lens gets stuck. I searched on this and seemed to be problem back in September/October when the phone was first released. I haven't dropped the phone and this certainly seems to be a hardware issue but oddly, was not a problem pre-Pie updates. Any thoughts?

For battery you probably have to wait few days before adaptive battery figures your usage pattern then get better.
For camera not sure what to say as I heard pie has fixed frozen,not working before it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes you are correct carriers use to have custom firmware which added lots of bloat as of right now developers are in talks to be able to disable and or remove bloat from there roms. Samsung is heavy on user experience I mean the new UI... took them 9 months to fine tune and test. I'd say in the coming updates carriers wont really matter and sooner or later we will get a the batch updates like users who have international variants.

I hope they can do that like international versions.

daero93

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I followed the above mentioned procedure. It was smooth and painless if you follow the instructions. I've been on Pie since last night. No issues. Just went exploring trying to learn some of the new changes. My phone has no issues. By the way I'm on Verizon. It took about 10 minutes.

Iceystreeeet

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
Just follow my steps. You will be on pie just like that.

Download correct version
Rename your downloaded file to update.zip
Move to SD card
Turn off phone
Turn on device holding Bixby and volume up
Release once logo pops
Update from SD pick update.zip
Done
Be patient and let update load plug in device.
You now have Pie.

Please tag me if you have any questions I'll answer as fast as I can I run an IT consulting company and I'm busy all the time lol.

XDA Dev
Icey

TX Jedi

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Ok, first real problem with this update. Samsung Pay; I had removed the swipe from bottom feature because it interferes with the other swipe gestures. It keeps coming back even when showing disabled. Also, whenever SP is opened it shows navigation buttons even though I am in swipe mode for everything else. Tried clearing the cache, no help. Tried uninstall/reinstall, same problem.

Iceystreeeet

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
Simply put the core applications were wipped as the upgrade did remove unwanted apps just readd your edge apps I had to do the same as well. You might have noticed the phone app u use to use is gone as well android pie is a game changer for sure. You will notice new features as well

XDA Dev
Icey

Roose00

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I did a full factory reset and cache clear before installing the .Zip. So far all seems very good. I did back up to PC with SS. I didn't restore anything from it.

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
Well I'm a little over 24 hours after using this method to update and I have zero issues thus far everything seems smooth and I thought the battery was draining a little fast aswell but it's most likely me since I haven't put my phone down yet

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else on Verizon having issues with Always on Display not working after using the sideload?
Mine works just fine and I like the new clock options. Are you sure you have it set to always show and not tap to wake or scheduled?

41457e4ebc6b3c42f0690cb82c5b5510.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38