Any Common Issues With Android Pie Update?

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Just checked my Verizon note 9 and the update is available. I'm nervous to download though. The last major update I downloaded (galaxy s7) absolutely ruined my phone. It became extremely slow, unresponsive, and killed my battery life. I wasn't alone. Tons of s7 users experienced the same. I know that there is a risk with every update, but as a whole, how does this one seem?

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Nothing to worry about really, finding your way around things again is where it pisses me off, took me a couple of days to get used to having a constantly hidden nav bar and just use swipes (it's optional) but I like a fairly clean look.
Night mode can't be used with themes which is stupid

jleemess

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had the update for about 3 hours my battery is draining dramatically I'm considering a hard reset.. I do like the update just not the battery drain

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
All this talk of battery drain is making me question whether I will update or not. I keep getting flash backs to how horrible my S7 was after updating. I was actually going to hold out until the S10 came out, but my S7 was so bad I had to upgrade immediately and got the Note 9

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I noticed the battery seemed to drain a little more after the update, I usually wipe the cache after an update anyway so I did that also but really you should give the phone time to adjust to your settings/usage before making any rash moves.
My battery now is just as good as, if not better than Oreo, no complaints here.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had the update for about 3 hours my battery is draining dramatically I'm considering a hard reset.. I do like the update just not the battery drain
Higher battery usage is to be expected after a major OS update. The system is selling and getting used to your use and the system changes. After a week or should settle, but a factory reset should be performed after every major OS update.
It cleans things up and they fall into place better.

berfles

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I've never hard reset any of my phones after big updates and every one of them performs just fine. I'd like to see some evidence that it makes things better, otherwise I can't be bothered to make full backups and ensure nothing gets lost.

Miljan Milosavljevic

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Done update. Looks like it's gonna be around 7 hours of screen time. Didn't do any cash wiping or anything suggested. Is this is OK?
b20143091565451ce1a382bf135bf3fb.jpg

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Got PIE on the update for unlocked yesterday. After being on a pixel3xl since launch, I had gotten used to PIE and was feeling a touch lost without it. After every update, I do the same thing, after a few hours of breakin, I factory reset my device and allow it to set up in the new enviornment. Did the same with PIE. a few hours after I had done this, my PIN stopped working. Reboots and power downs, did not help. I pinged Samsung for advice. There response was...less than desireable. They told me to contact my carrier to unlock my device. So....I had to reexplain. Eventually they understood what I was saying. Still would not help me. Saying I had to submit a ticket, wait 72 hours and prove I owned the phone. I understand the need to insure that they are not unlocking a stolen or lost phone. So I didn't complain about that. I did remind them I was a registered user, I registered my product, could provide a receipt and IMEI and model numbers, etc. They would not budge. I reminded them that there is information available for manual resets. They told me they would not provide that because it might brick my device.

I laughed.

If they want to insure that they do not help thieves, all they need is to provide a disclaimer up front. This is how you manually reset your device. You will be required to validate yourself on this device before it will reset. If you cannot validate yourself, the device will not be unlocked.

Samsung support indicated, this is not acceptable. Anyway, the manual steps worked and I reset my device, validated myself , as required, and set the device back up.

The only other issue I have with PIE on the NOTE is the multiple app option does not appear to work. I understand you should long press the open app key...then select....but I can't seem to get that to work.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Got PIE on the update for unlocked yesterday. After being on a pixel3xl since launch, I had gotten used to PIE and was feeling a touch lost without it. After every update, I do the same thing, after a few hours of breakin, I factory reset my device and allow it to set up in the new enviornment. Did the same with PIE. a few hours after I had done this, my PIN stopped working. Reboots and power downs, did not help. I pinged Samsung for advice. There response was...less than desireable. They told me to contact my carrier to unlock my device. So....I had to reexplain. Eventually they understood what I was saying. Still would not help me. Saying I had to submit a ticket, wait 72 hours and prove I owned the phone. I understand the need to insure that they are not unlocking a stolen or lost phone. So I didn't complain about that. I did remind them I was a registered user, I registered my product, could provide a receipt and IMEI and model numbers, etc. They would not budge. I reminded them that there is information available for manual resets. They told me they would not provide that because it might brick my device.

I laughed.

If they want to insure that they do not help thieves, all they need is to provide a disclaimer up front. This is how you manually reset your device. You will be required to validate yourself on this device before it will reset. If you cannot validate yourself, the device will not be unlocked.

Samsung support indicated, this is not acceptable. Anyway, the manual steps worked and I reset my device, validated myself , as required, and set the device back up.

The only other issue I have with PIE on the NOTE is the multiple app option does not appear to work. I understand you should long press the open app key...then select....but I can't seem to get that to work.

and just as fast, I figured out the multi window....in the recent apps window, you have to tap the app icon to get the choice list....I was tapping the app....user error

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I guess the battery drain thing is hit or miss because I haven't had any issues with that at all, no issues at all really. It's ran buttery smooth.