The fingerprint scanner placement is officially the worst

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had yet another spontaneous photo moment ruined because the camera lens was smudged from constantly being touched when trying to use the fingerprint scanner. Stupid, stupid, location.

MomoMilky

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I like the location. Much better than the front or too high up in the back. I never smudge the camera lens, maybe because I'm used to the location.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought that was more of a issue with s8 and note 8 phones .

I'm sure it has mostly to do with how a person naturally holds the phone and the size of hands/length of fingers, so there will never be a position that works perfectly for everyone.

I had the S8+ and never had an issue but I do remember others complaining about it. I guess it's my turn to be annoyed lol.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm sure it has mostly to do with how a person naturally holds the phone and the size of hands/length of fingers, so there will never be a position that works perfectly for everyone.

I had the S8+ and never had an issue but I do remember others complaining about it. I guess it's my turn to be annoyed lol.
You have a point.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Mine is in a case, so can follow the edge of the cut out to the sensor. But without a case, it would be more difficult to find accurately.

Maybe it's in the settings to skip the lock screen to specifically open the camera. But a double press of the power button opens the camera. Would not have to touch anything on the back of the phone.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine is in a case, so can follow the edge of the cut out to the sensor. But without a case, it would be more difficult to find accurately.

Maybe it's in the settings to skip the lock screen to specifically open the camera. But a double press of the power button opens the camera. Would not have to touch anything on the back of the phone.

My phone is always connected to one Bluetooth device or another so I rarely have to unlock the phone.

The fingerprint reader use comes from using it to bypass passwords in secure apps since some passwords can be clunky to type on a phone or almost impossible to type one-handed.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
My phone is always connected to one Bluetooth device or another so I rarely have to unlock the phone.

The fingerprint reader use comes from using it to bypass passwords in secure apps since some passwords can be clunky to type on a phone or almost impossible to type one-handed.

Perhaps it's just that your fingers are officially the fattest.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
So your screen is on all the time? Unless the phone is plugged in, that's not going to give you a long time between charges. (Or are you using the power button to turn the screen on? That's mechanical, it has a fixed lifetime. You can touch the FPS as many billion times as you like.)

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So your screen is on all the time? Unless the phone is plugged in, that's not going to give you a long time between charges. (Or are you using the power button to turn the screen on? That's mechanical, it has a fixed lifetime. You can touch the FPS as many billion times as you like.)
Neither, I use the home button to wake the phone.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had yet another spontaneous photo moment ruined because the camera lens was smudged from constantly being touched when trying to use the fingerprint scanner.
I slide my finger up to the scanner from beneath, so it's easy to stop short of the camera lens. If my finger placement were too high to permit sliding from below, I'd probably be smudging the lenses even without using the scanner.

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Actually, it's pretty perfect for me. Like Gary02468, I slide my finger up from below until I feel the edge. For me, it's a more natural postion according to how I hold my phone. It took me a few days before I adjusted from my Note 5 scanner on the front, to the Note 9 on the back. Piece of cake. Yeah, I hit the lens occasionally, maybe one out of 50 shots. Usually, I hit it on the first shot.

dkediger

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Unlock with Trusted Device setting.

My Withings watch will "unlock" the phone when its within range. I also have the flip cover, so all I need to do is open the cover. It still requires an unlock code or fingerprint after a certain time period, seems like 6 hours or so, or if the trusted device has been out of range for a while.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I never had any issues with the FPS placement. Didn't have any issues with the Note8 either. I actually prefer the Note 9 FPS as it doesn't take much effort to reach it and I hardly ever touch the camera when I am trying to unlock my phone. I also prefer this than what is on the S10 series.