Dual SIM questions

ViroMajor

Jun 16, 2019
Visit site
I’d like to figure out how the dual SIM function is handled before purchasing the Galaxy Note. Thanks for your understanding

1) I understand that regarding phone calls, you can receive them on the 2 numbers concurrently. When doing a voice call though, can you manually select which SIM number to use without switching the SIM cards physically (primary vs subsidiary) ?

2) same question regarding data usage, will it auto-select the best SIM signal to catch mobile internet ? Or do you have to intervene manually to select the SIM you want to use ? or worse, intervening physcially by switching the cards inside the device ?

3) again, same question when using the device tethering as a mobile hotspot this time. Will it auto-switch between the 2 dual SIMs for data, to catch and broadcast the strongest internet signal ? Or requires to manually select the targeted SIM ? or invert the SIMs physically ?

Thanks a lot for your time

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
1. On the dialer you will have 2 call buttons corresponding to either SIM. Press the one you want to use. On other stuff, you can set a primary sim or set the phone to always ask which sim to use.

2 & 3. Only one sim can be active for data at a time. You'd have to manually switch.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
1. On the dialer you will have 2 call buttons corresponding to either SIM. Press the one you want to use. On other stuff, you can set a primary sim or set the phone to always ask which sim to use.

2 & 3. Only one sim can be active for data at a time. You'd have to manually switch.

Totally agree.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I’d like to figure out how the dual SIM function is handled before purchasing the Galaxy Note. Thanks for your understanding

1) I understand that regarding phone calls, you can receive them on the 2 numbers concurrently. When doing a voice call though, can you manually select which SIM number to use without switching the SIM cards physically (primary vs subsidiary) ?

2) same question regarding data usage, will it auto-select the best SIM signal to catch mobile internet ? Or do you have to intervene manually to select the SIM you want to use ? or worse, intervening physcially by switching the cards inside the device ?

3) again, same question when using the device tethering as a mobile hotspot this time. Will it auto-switch between the 2 dual SIMs for data, to catch and broadcast the strongest internet signal ? Or requires to manually select the targeted SIM ? or invert the SIMs physically ?

Thanks a lot for your time

I'd like to add that with a hybrid dual SIM Note 9 there's no separate memory card slot. Unlike in a true dual SIM version where there are 2 SIM card slots and a memory card slot.

jeffmparker

Dec 26, 2018
Visit site
Yes, I find this limitation re SIM and SD card slots to be a major problem for a flagship phone like this. Much cheaper simple phones, including from Samsung, eg A6, have the ability to have two SIM cards AND an SD card active simultaneously. What gives!!??

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I find this limitation re SIM and SD card slots to be a major problem for a flagship phone like this. Much cheaper simple phones, including from Samsung, eg A6, have the ability to have two SIM cards AND an SD card active simultaneously. What gives!!??

In the past 4 years I've greatly reduced the frequency I move SD cards. This has helped their longevity. Nowadays with the larger and faster internal storage available in phones I'm even more willing to forego using a memory card. It's more expensive (FOR ME)but more secure to buy a 512 GB ROM Note 10 than a 128 GB Note 10 and adding a memory card. PLUS I get to use both slots for SIM cards which is VERY IMPORTANT to me.