Galaxy Note Edge is now 100% Unique & will likely remain so

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I kinda want an option on my edge to use the s6 style edge screen function or the note edge screen function.. Do you think the functionality of the s6 edge will come to the note edge in one way or another? Or will they keep it the same and have two separate, unique devices that share the same suffix?

You already have that option on the Note Edge, the edge panel disappears when not in use. You don't have to use it, you don't even have to make it show notifications. You can remove all or most of the icons from it and disable most of the panels. although it won't hide 100% of the time, but it can be made rather useless.

We need to see how the general public, these are the millions of non-techy masses who have made Apple such a hit, react to the more expensive S6 Edge (versus the cheaper S6). If the S6 Edge takes off, then we'll see more interesting concepts, but if the public stays away from the S6 Edge, then chances are Samsung will approach it in two ways:
1) Make the cost of the S6 Edge the same as S6.
2) Drop the curved phones. Since obviously they can't be made cheap enough and the public is unwilling to pay a premium.

road_kill

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Now that we know that Samsung is not repeating the Edge panel on their upcoming S6, it's safe to assume that the Edge will either remain an amazing experiment that will not be repeated, or it will remain a variation of the Note series which will get updated once a year around the holidays.

Regardless, I wished for a unique phone and I got it.

Also, unlike most of you I am not keen on keep adding Edge panel apps. I only use about 5 and I haven't found a app that I think is worth adding to my Edge panel.

We are now part of one of the smallest groups of elite phone owners in the world! :)

View attachment 165451

And very expensive. :D

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello Everybody :)

I here to remind everyone of this guideline

Personal Attacks or Insults to Members - Constructive discussions, debates and free speech are encouraged in the forums. However, it is not constructive to either criticize or insult another member because their opinion differs from yours. Consider the tone of your posts before pressing the submit button. If your are irritated by a post, thread, question, or topic; you are in no way obligated to respond and are encouraged to move along to another thread.

Please think before you post .

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
:) Saw the color selection of the S6. Would LOVE to see them do something like that with the Note series! Hope if they do that VZW will sell more than just black.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
nvm galaxy note 5 samsung confirms edge screen unless im not reading it right.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Will Likely Feature EDGE Display | Know Your Mobile

good catch, this confirms that they'll be a Note Edge II, but not how will it be executed. I really wonder if the curved screens will simply replace normal screens and Samsung just ends up offering one version.

But the current Note Edge is nowhere near as popular as the Note 4. So, I doubt at least for the Note Series, if the Edge will become the dominant version. Also the Edge version is always more expensive and that's another factor.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
good catch, this confirms that they'll be a Note Edge II, but not how will it be executed. I really wonder if the curved screens will simply replace normal screens and Samsung just ends up offering one version.

But the current Note Edge is nowhere near as popular as the Note 4. So, I doubt at least for the Note Series, if the Edge will become the dominant version. Also the Edge version is always more expensive and that's another factor.
I think the less popularity is because of cost. On AT&T the Note Edge is a $121 premium at $946. That's not insignificant. I like my Note Edge but the Edge screen is no killer feature to me, it's just a nice luxury and convenience. Some would rather have the larger screen, larger battery and save that $121.

♻from the Note 4✒ 📶

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the less popularity is because of cost. On AT&T the Note Edge is a $121 premium at $946. That's not insignificant. I like my Note Edge but the Edge screen is no killer feature to me, it's just a nice luxury and convenience. Some would rather have the larger screen, larger battery and save that $121.
totally consistent with the mindset of the rest of the Note users, that's why they probably sell hundreds (maybe thousands) of Note 4s for every one Note Edge.

But the screen size is a myth. Note 4 has a taller screen, but the Note Edge has a wider one. They ultimately have the same screen size. I prefer wide to tall. And we certainly have more pixels and pixel density.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

road_kill

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
I already know my plan. Regardless of what Note comes out this year, the earliest I will upgrade is 2016. What more can they put into this perfect phablet? Make it bigger I hope...

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

Im fine with the size how it is, i cant do bigger personally, i do think they should keep the edge bar but keep it optional to left or right handed use, so say if you grip it with your left hand the bar switches to the left side and same thing for the right. Just a thought, something they should of done with the s6 edge.

rykatemom

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Note Edge is now 100% Unique & will likely remain so

So, I realise this may be off-topic somewhat from the path of the thread, however I have a question about the Note Edge, and I thought you guys would be the best to answer it. I ended up getting the Note 4 due to budget constraints, but the Edge looked mighty tempting! I do love my Note 4, and my Autistic brain is content with the familiar form-factor, and the ability to personalise phone with any number of cases, which brings me to the crux of my question.

I'm a biological anthropologist, and use the HELL out of my Note 4 in the lab while I'm researching, as well as jotting down extra notes to improve my lectures as I'm giving them. This phone, after a disturbingly LONG like of other phones(I started with the Palm Pilot, and ran all the way to a Pre, which I adore, ran through the BB Pearl and some other there, before landing on Android with the HTC Evo. That was my introduction to Android, and not long after that I owned a Motorolla Photon, and rapidly dropped that for an S2. Since thay fateful acquistion, I have been a Sammy-girl all the way. (Although my Palm Pre will always have a soft spot in my heart.) Now, I am THRILLED beyond belief with this Note 4, which I did use naked for some time, since I think the design of the phone carries a subtle sophistication and elegance lost on the general masses, but I did eventually put a case on it to help protect the phone in the lab, and have begun my trademark caseadd© That said... here's my question. What kinds of cases, if any, are available for the Note Edge, and how do they do on the device? With one side curved, I cannot but imagine cases sliding off everywhere, or not having a firm hold on the Edge .

I realise I could have Googled this, but I prefer getting my answers from a reliable group of people who use the Edge as their daily driver.

Thanks to all for both getting through my rambling post and any answers/insights you are willing to share!!

Best to you all!!!

Kelly

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (Verizon)
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi Kelly, there are plenty of cases out there for the Note Edge. I'm using this Urban Armor Gear now and really like it

4dd062ca7f4eed3149b8fb430a8ae354.jpg

6b69baa02d77be73afada3a207457ba8.jpg

f6b8a1ef5649a1da6300b43bf0d87bdd.jpg

I also have this Incipio that I used while I was waiting for the Urban Armor Gear
b304a1a710c9b5e914fad0747c575fab.jpg

01701b17959f1471749abbb0f2e4a37d.jpg

beefabdbce7d5d1eca22d88bb92cf6b0.jpg

from the Note 3 📱

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Kelly exactly what Haalcyon said. I use the UAG case for my Edge. I have dropped it twice. Once on the sidewalk from about a height of five feet when another officer accidentally knocked it out of my hand and in the locker room. Not a single scratch on the screen nor cracked glass.

Two of my co-workers have those leather flip type "cases". Both of their phones have been dropped and both have cracked screens. I'm just saying....

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

laspahr

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
You already have that option on the Note Edge, the edge panel disappears when not in use. You don't have to use it, you don't even have to make it show notifications. You can remove all or most of the icons from it and disable most of the panels. although it won't hide 100% of the time, but it can be made rather useless.

We need to see how the general public, these are the millions of non-techy masses who have made Apple such a hit, react to the more expensive S6 Edge (versus the cheaper S6). If the S6 Edge takes off, then we'll see more interesting concepts, but if the public stays away from the S6 Edge, then chances are Samsung will approach it in two ways:
1) Make the cost of the S6 Edge the same as S6.
2) Drop the curved phones. Since obviously they can't be made cheap enough and the public is unwilling to pay a premium.

I understand the confusion, but what I mean is have the edge act as it does on the s6 edge, rather than the dedicated panels. :) or have the option to switch between panels and s6 style. Just a thought :)

Posted via the Android Central App

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
you want to have an option to disable the Edge Panel. I think this is a valid wish. But it wouldn't make too much sense for a one sided curve screen. Also that's why Samsung makes the Note 4 and it's hundred times, may thousands of times more popular. Anyone doesn't like the Edge, they shouldn't bother with it, which is the current consensus anyway. Rare phone and very quiet forum :)

laspahr

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
you want to have an option to disable the Edge Panel. I think this is a valid wish. But it wouldn't make too much sense for a one sided curve screen. Also that's why Samsung makes the Note 4 and it's hundred times, may thousands of times more popular. Anyone doesn't like the Edge, they shouldn't bother with it, which is the current consensus anyway. Rare phone and very quiet forum :)

No no.. S6 Edge has edge options without a dedicated panel, which is something I'd like to have the option for possibly an update or new edge 2 :) just an idea based on how Samsung uses the edge on s6 edge

Posted via the Android Central App

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
S6 Edge does not have Edge options. All it does is a flip to the left to show top contacts (we already have a contacts Edge panel), that is not Edge options. You can't have Edge options without Edge Panel.