Marshmallow 6.0.1 Now Live for AT&T Galaxy Note Edge!

JohnNadeau

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
With a File Size of 1311MB (1.3GB!!!), it took several hours to download over hi-speed Comcast connection. Installation this morning took around 20 minutes to automatically optimize Android apps, etc. at boot up. Even after boot up, GooglePlay and Samsung apps must be updated. After everything updated & settled down, I like to do a complete power-down and fresh boot. So far, so good :)

Cyco9

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, basically what JohnNadeau said. It took a min but everything is up and running without any real hiccups. My primary edge bar went blank while the other ones worked fine. A little toggling and couple restarts got it back.

So far so good.

JohnNadeau

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Update: Marshmallow has been running quite well on our two Note Edges. Haven't noticed any difference good or bad on battery life. Overall operation seems smooth and responsive.

The only issue we had was getting the new Video Calling feature (which is embedded into the Stock Phone Dialer) to work properly.

The new Video Button (near the Phone Button) is gray, unless you AND your Contact has the following:

• a) use AT&T as their Service Provider (your Plan needs to meet certain requirements too).
  • b) be in an HD Voice coverage area OR on WiFi (see AT&T's web site for HD Voice coverage areas)
  • c) Each phone needs to be running Marshmallow 6 AND have the Video Call button available
  • d) Settings / Connections / Wi-Fi Calling: Enabled NOTE: this routine took a couple of passes through the various dialogs.
  • e) Settings / Connections / MoreNetworks / MobileData: Enable both Mobile Data and Enhanced LTE Services
  • f) Settings / Connections / Data Usage: This may/may not need to be disabled (our's are disabled).
  • g) PhoneDialer/Menu (three dots in upper-right) / Settings / Call: Enable Video Call

At that point, your Contact's Video Button SHOULD be a solid green and you can initiate a Video Call.

HERE IS THE KEY: AT&T needs to make sure that your SERVICE is PROVISIONED for Video Calling on ALL of your phones! (then restart your phone)

Video Calling was working on one of our phones, but not the other. Confirmed all settings on both phones. Final test was swapping SIM Cards: Video Calling then worked on the other phone. Called AT&T. Their first-level support was not able to make the change. Second level support called us back the next day, made the change, then all was good! So, have this discussion with AT&T if your Video Calling is not working :)

wolvarine

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Update: Marshmallow has been running quite well on our two Note Edges. Haven't noticed any difference good or bad on battery life. Overall operation seems smooth and responsive.

The only issue we had was getting the new Video Calling feature (which is embedded into the Stock Phone Dialer) to work properly.

The new Video Button (near the Phone Button) is gray, unless you AND your Contact has the following:

• a) use AT&T as their Service Provider (your Plan needs to meet certain requirements too).
  • b) be in an HD Voice coverage area OR on WiFi (see AT&T's web site for HD Voice coverage areas)
  • c) Each phone needs to be running Marshmallow 6 AND have the Video Call button available
  • d) Settings / Connections / Wi-Fi Calling: Enabled NOTE: this routine took a couple of passes through the various dialogs.
  • e) Settings / Connections / MoreNetworks / MobileData: Enable both Mobile Data and Enhanced LTE Services
  • f) Settings / Connections / Data Usage: This may/may not need to be disabled (our's are disabled).
  • g) PhoneDialer/Menu (three dots in upper-right) / Settings / Call: Enable Video Call

At that point, your Contact's Video Button SHOULD be a solid green and you can initiate a Video Call.

HERE IS THE KEY: AT&T needs to make sure that your SERVICE is PROVISIONED for Video Calling on ALL of your phones! (then restart your phone)

Video Calling was working on one of our phones, but not the other. Confirmed all settings on both phones. Final test was swapping SIM Cards: Video Calling then worked on the other phone. Called AT&T. Their first-level support was not able to make the change. Second level support called us back the next day, made the change, then all was good! So, have this discussion with AT&T if your Video Calling is not working :)

Any changes in the edge panels, is the quick contacts panel still there? Are your phones randomly rebooting?

wolvarine

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, basically what JohnNadeau said. It took a min but everything is up and running without any real hiccups. My primary edge bar went blank while the other ones worked fine. A little toggling and couple restarts got it back.

So far so good.

Plz comment on the following about ur note edge after upgrading to 6.0 (as compared to 5.1):
#Battery life
#Whether night clock is working in 12 hrs format
#is the phone randomly rebooting
#any changes in the edge panels, quick contact panel still there
Thanks

wolvarine

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
With a File Size of 1311MB (1.3GB!!!), it took several hours to download over hi-speed Comcast connection. Installation this morning took around 20 minutes to automatically optimize Android apps, etc. at boot up. Even after boot up, GooglePlay and Samsung apps must be updated. After everything updated & settled down, I like to do a complete power-down and fresh boot. So far, so good :)

Plz comment on the following about ur note edges after upgrading to 6.0 (as compared to 5.1):
#Battery life
#any changes in the edge panels, quick contact panel still there or not
Thanks

JohnNadeau

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Plz comment on the following about ur note edge after upgrading to 6.0 (as compared to 5.1):
#Battery life
#any changes in the edge panels, quick contact panel still there
Thanks

1. Battery Life: I don't notice a difference.
  2. Night Clock: 12 hour format works
  3. Random Reboots: Not once on two phones
  4. Edge Panels: No changes in the Edge Panels that I can see:
    However, one of our phones lost all of the App Shortcuts we had on the primary Edge Panel, so we had to re-create them.
  5. Quick Contact Panel: Yes, it is still there

wolvarine

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
  1. Battery Life: I don't notice a difference.
  2. Night Clock: 12 hour format works
  3. Random Reboots: Not once on two phones
  4. Edge Panels: No changes in the Edge Panels that I can see:
    However, one of our phones lost all of the App Shortcuts we had on the primary Edge Panel, so we had to re-create them.
  5. Quick Contact Panel: Yes, it is still there

Thanks.
What was & is the battery standby & screen on time on ur phones? 1 more imp question, what's the model number of your note edges (N915F/V/A)?

jnagator

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
My phone went through another update this morning. The 6.01 went smooth the first time so not sure what update is going on? However the phone sometimes restarts so I lose the fingerprint once in a while. The bluetooth has been a lot better than old 5 version which kept crashing the connection. Battery is better than old OS by 20% or so..I think it is a little better than 5 and hoping the new update clears up some restart issues.

wolvarine

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
My phone went through another update this morning. The 6.01 went smooth the first time so not sure what update is going on? However the phone sometimes restarts so I lose the fingerprint once in a while. The bluetooth has been a lot better than old 5 version which kept crashing the connection. Battery is better than old OS by 20% or so..I think it is a little better than 5 and hoping the new update clears up some restart issues.

How often does your phone restart? Has the problem gone away after the update?

jnagator

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Restart happen 2 -3 times a day sometimes. The problem still happens even after the update. Not sure what the update helps. My phone's voice calls have become terrible. Also when on calls now the phone suddenly puts the call on a hold or a pause for some reason. It is very annoying and have to use a headset on important calls so my caller doesn't think I am using a flip phone or something....very embrassing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress