Samsung Note - Software Update Options v Root v New Phone?

JohnyOhio

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys

I've had a Samsung Note 1 for almost 4 years, model SGH i7-i7. I bought it in Canada and am currently based in UK, so can't update the software. The phone is currently running Android 4.0.4. I've tried downloading the software update from the Canadian Samsung site, but the software/download site is not Mac compatible and I've never got round to updating it using someone else's PC.

The phone has been pretty reliable, however over the last 6months has become more and more problematic with several battery replacements due to non-charging/battery drain. The battery seems to be working fine the last 3 months, but now the phone keeps losing signal, intermittently fail to receive texts, automatically goes to voicemail without ringing, in addition to major lag since accepting the new Spotify App's terms and conditions/update…..major data mining going on?! Lol.

I'm going to try a new SIM, however, if that fails……….what would you advise I do:

Root the phone….will this allow me to install a less restrictive operating system/update to a newer OS?
Try to update existing Android software via PC download
Look for a replacement phone.

Looking at pro's and con's of operating system security, it seems that if you use any apps today you void any privacy/security of info/data/content whether on Android or iOS platforms.

Thanks for the tips and your feedback! :):)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Root the phone….will this allow me to install a less restrictive operating system/update to a newer OS?
No, you're rooting the OS itself, not the hardware. If you replace the operating system with a rooted one, you get both a new OS and root. If you replace it with an unrooted one, you get just a new OS. If you root, then replace the OS, you wasted the time and effort to root the OS you replaced.

I'd download the ROM from SamMobile Firmwares (for the Canadian version i717, of course) and flash it. Read [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN to get familiar with the technique, then go to https://plus.google.com/+AdamOutler/posts/Tun2BDPaXTU

Look for a replacement phone.
That depends on you. Flashing the ROM is free, and if it fixes your problems, and you're satisfied with the phone, maybe you can save money for a while longer.

Looking at pro's and con's of operating system security, it seems that if you use any apps today you void any privacy/security of info/data/content whether on Android or iOS platforms.
On any platforms - Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, Android - if it's connected to the internet, it's vulnerable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89