HSPA+ or LTE

amlopez29

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
So I have a Galaxy SII right now with HSPA+ and my unlimited data plan.

I was wondering if I bought a Skyrocket off contract, will I be able to use the LTE network (I live in San Antonio) without changing any of my plans, and just swapping my SIM card into the new phone?

In other words, is there a special data plan I must have in order to use the LTE network?

Well I figured it all out now,
thanks

Last edited:

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Nope. You need a 4G LTE SIM to use 4G. They had a 3G SIM on the demo at the store I got mine at, it showed radio bars, but no E, or 4G symbol.

E = Edge
4G = 3G(HSAP+)
4G LTE= 4G

For people who might not know.

Creek

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

I was wondering if I bought a Skyrocket off contract, will I be able to use the LTE network (I live in San Antonio) without changing any of my plans, and just swapping my SIM card into the new phone?

In other words, is there a special data plan I must have in order to use the LTE network?

I needed a new sim card. All my features including unlimited data carries over to the SR.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
True. You will need a new sim card provisioned to LTE. Once you have the new SIM you can put it into a HSPA phone and it will drop down to that data. I bought my SR in route to the airport and they activated a new sim card for me and I put it into my Atrix 2 and had HSPA+ speeds in San Antonio. I ran a seed test at the airport and got 4.2 mbps down and 1 mbps up.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
True. You will need a new sim card provisioned to LTE. Once you have the new SIM you can put it into a HSPA phone and it will drop down to that data. I bought my SR in route to the airport and they activated a new sim card for me and I put it into my Atrix 2 and had HSPA+ speeds in San Antonio. I ran a seed test at the airport and got 4.2 mbps down and 1 mbps up.

Does the sim card itself say lte or its plain orange one?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site

New SIM, you can keep your unlimited plan

raycpe

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
They put the same sim card from my GS II in the Skyrocket. Should I have gotten a new one? I am getting LTE speeds, but i havent seen it change down to 4G or E. Is there an option to turn off LTE?

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The SIM is the same. Its the data plan that's different and yes you can keep your unlimited data plan. You have to have the correct data plan or data will not work at all.

Reggie

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
It's funny - I got my phone on my wifes iphone account that was due for a upgrade. In order to do it they had to put a new sim card in my wifes phone - that had the LTE - to fake the system into believing the phone was going to be used on her account - then they swapped the Skyrocket to my account.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
It's funny - I got my phone on my wifes iphone account that was due for a upgrade. In order to do it they had to put a new sim card in my wifes phone - that had the LTE - to fake the system into believing the phone was going to be used on her account - then they swapped the Skyrocket to my account.
It's called an upgrade, followed by a SIM swap. :cool:

Dexter0380

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Can someone please confirm what the LTE sim card looks like? The SIM that I was given looks like a regular SIM to me. Orange and blue with the ATT globe symbol on it. There is no mention of LTE on the chip or on the plastic card that the SIM came attached to. I don't live in an LTE area, but I can tell you that my phone displays "4G" in the status bar. From reading this article it sounds like it should say "4G LTE", but maybe that is only if I'm getting an LTE signal which obviously I'm not.

I want to make sure I have the correct card for when LTE does come to my area (hopefully soon!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty